Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #31
Grunker

Default Re: Making a new limitation for Damage Resistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Isn't that just "Costs Fatigue" with an extra duration added in?
Yep, except for a few things:

1) This jams FP-cost and duration together. The problem is not that FP-cost is too cheap (-5% per point) it is that a small duration rather than permanent should be worth more when combined with an FP-cost, IMO.

2) It makes ablative a -5% limitation if you can simply reset the DR. -80% makes no kind of sense when it is almost literally a non-issue that the DR is ablative.

3) It takes concentration except ready, and it cannot be maintained.

4) It actually works. It creates a fairly priced shield that doesn't scale out of control. I.e. it's not 10 points + 1 point per bloody level of DR.

If you have a cleaner solution, I'm more than willing to accept it, but this thread had been running for some time with no reply. At some point I'm forced to just do something if I want to actually finish my supplement.

Quote:
you give an extra -20% for a minute.
Nope? I give -10% for a minute. 10 seconds is -20%.

Last edited by Grunker; 05-06-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Grunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #32
vierasmarius

I think your solution is workable. I've fiddled around with various ways to make a "refilling" ablative DR reasonable, and while I'd probably parse mine differently from yours (placing the emphasis on how quickly it refills, rather than how long it lasts) the limitations come out to similar values.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #33
the_matrix_walker

Costs fatigue is ridiculously undervalued, that's for sure. (At the very least for the first point, -5% to turn an always on ability to one you can only maintain for limited periods is just not enough of a discount. I go back and forth between thinking it should be -10% per, or maybe -20% for the first point and an added -5% per point beyond that.)

If your solution works for you, then excellent! I was just trying to help you using the RAW.

and a "oops, my bad" on misquoting you!
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #34
Sindri

Rev. Pee Kitty's MyGURPS sets it at -10%. I feel that's fairly good though I have considered bringing up the first level a bit.
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote