Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-31-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
nerdvana

Default Permanent Duration Enhancement

This enhancement is +150% if there are "reasonable numbers" of ways to dispel the effect or +300% if there are no ways to dispell it. Who thinks that +250% is reasonable for no ways to dispel it but limited ways to suppress it?

(First, I'm the GM. Second, I'm thinking of magic items that are always magical except when suppressed by a powerful enough dispell magic or being in a low mana zone.)
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
Diomedes

Default Re: Permanent Duration Enhancement

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
This enhancement is +150% if there are "reasonable numbers" of ways to dispel the effect or +300% if there are no ways to dispell it. Who thinks that +250% is reasonable for no ways to dispel it but limited ways to suppress it?

(First, I'm the GM. Second, I'm thinking of magic items that are always magical except when suppressed by a powerful enough dispell magic or being in a low mana zone.)
That sounds like it's just a normal property of magic items, not a limitation on the enchantment.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
David Johnston2

Quote:

If it has the magic power modifier, that's redundant.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post
That sounds like it's just a normal property of magic items, not a limitation on the enchantment.
*facepalms* I forgot to say where I was planning to use it... this is for the Affliction that I'm working up as a way to do power based enchantment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
If it has the magic power modifier, that's redundant.
I don't see how... this is to distinguish a permanently enchanted magic item from a general spell effect. Shouldn't there be a duration difference?
Old 03-31-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
David Johnston2

Quote:
*facepalms* I forgot to say where I was planning to use it... this is for the Affliction that I'm working up as a way to do power based enchantment.

I don't see how... this is to distinguish a permanently enchanted magic item from a general spell effect. Shouldn't there be a duration difference?
Duration difference from what? The Magic power modifier includes "won't work in no mana" and "can be suppressed by things like Neutralize Magic".

Last edited by David Johnston2; 03-31-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:51 PM   #6
Dorin Thorha

In other words, Permanent is +300%, and Magic (can be suppressed by anti-magic/low mana/etc) is -X%, so Permanent but Suppressible is (300-X)%
Old 03-31-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Duration difference from what? The Magic power modifier includes "won't work in mana" and "can be suppressed by things like Neutralize Magic".
OH! I get what you are saying. Yes... sorry, I had a dense moment reading your reply. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorin Thorha View Post
In other words, Permanent is +300%, and Magic (can be suppressed by anti-magic/low mana/etc) is -X%, so Permanent but Suppressible is (300-X)%
And this is what made it clearest for me. Thanks. :)
Old 03-31-2011, 10:58 PM   #8
Gef

And you can find "X" in Thaumatology, where there's a disadvantage for intelligent swords that go dormant in no mana zones, so it becomes a Temporary Disadvantage limitation, applied to the Extended Duration enhancement. Don't remember the value offhand, sorry. -GEF
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:55 AM   #9
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
And you can find "X" in Thaumatology, where there's a disadvantage for intelligent swords that go dormant in no mana zones, so it becomes a Temporary Disadvantage limitation, applied to the Extended Duration enhancement. Don't remember the value offhand, sorry. -GEF
You're thinking of No-Mana Shutdown, on p.119 of Thaumatology, except that it specifically states that items that merely lose their special abilities should use the Mana-Sensitive limitation instead.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:07 AM   #10
David Johnston2

Yes, that's for magical people.

Tags
enhancement, magic, q&a