Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 10-19-2007, 08:45 PM   #31
Extrarius

Default Re: GURPS Martial Arts data file available for download

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell
I was looking at the Style Familiarity Perk in GCA, and it seems to have specializations for most Martial Arts, but then it has Style Familiarity (Military Hand to Hand). But Military Hand to Hand is a category of Martial Arts just the same as Karate and Kung Fu. I assume this is a mistake and in some future datafile we'll have Style Familiarities for the martial arts under Military Hand to Hand (Fairbairn, Krav Maga, Sambo, MCMAP).
I noticed the same about 'Wrestling' (though I only checked for the absence of greco-roman since that is the variety a character should have).
Extrarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:20 PM   #32
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
I was looking at the Style Familiarity Perk in GCA, and it seems to have specializations for most Martial Arts, but then it has Style Familiarity (Military Hand to Hand). But Military Hand to Hand is a category of Martial Arts just the same as Karate and Kung Fu. I assume this is a mistake and in some future datafile we'll have Style Familiarities for the martial arts under Military Hand to Hand (Fairbairn, Krav Maga, Sambo, MCMAP).
The reason for that is that I built the Style Familiarity list based on the headers in the chapter. I've expanded them to include the sub-specializations as I write up the styles. You'll notice that the Style Familiarities which have been broken out into the sub-specializations are the same ones that have actually been written up into templates.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:30 PM   #33
Taellosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuragari
Have you thought about adding wildcard skills for each style? I really like that route as opposed to taking 50 different related skills etc...
Well, I'm sure you're more than welcome to create one for a custom data set of your own, but since I think there isn't any such wildcards in the Martial Arts book, I don't think Eric is going to add them to the official data file, either.

Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin
Taellosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 06:46 AM   #34
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuragari
Have you thought about adding wildcard skills for each style? I really like that route as opposed to taking 50 different related skills etc...
Quote:
Uh, the biggest style is 12-15 skills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taellosse
Well, I'm sure you're more than welcome to create one for a custom data set of your own, but since I think there isn't any such wildcards in the Martial Arts book, I don't think Eric is going to add them to the official data file, either.
Actually the rules are in Martial Arts, on page 60. Briefly the wildcard version of the style substitutes for all the primary and optional skills of the style, and as a special rule, all the techniques from the style are at the level of the Wildcard skill as well. If you have TBAM you get the cinematic skills at your Wildcard level and if you're in a cinematic game you get the cinematic techniques too.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:32 AM   #35
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
Actually the rules are in Martial Arts, on page 60. Briefly the wildcard version of the style substitutes for all the primary and optional skills of the style, and as a special rule, all the techniques from the style are at the level of the Wildcard skill as well.
No. Techniques are at the maximum allowable level. That's very important in practice, and possibly highly abusable at times.

But I suspect that telling GCA that each weapon can be used at Wildcard skill level by everyone with a Wildcard skill for a style which includes the skill for that weapon is going to be a bore and a hassle.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:37 AM   #36
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters
No. Techniques are at the maximum allowable level. That's very important in practice, and possibly highly abusable at times.
I was trying to give the thumbnail description...

Quote:
But I suspect that telling GCA that each weapon can be used at Wildcard skill level by everyone with a Wildcard skill for a style which includes the skill for that weapon is going to be a bore and a hassle.
You don't need to do that. Just put the wildcard skill down, with the description optionally noting which skills and techniques it covers. Currently that's how Wildcard skills are handled anyways.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 03:25 PM   #37
dukofdeth

I'm pretty certain this is just supposed to be ONE perk, not three. This is to help with Shin Kicks.

#newitem(PE:Special Exercises (Striker), 1, cat(Style Perks - Realistic), page(MA51)),
#newitem(PE:Special Exercises (Crushing with Limb), 1, cat(Style Perks - Realistic), page(MA51)),
#newitem(PE:Special Exercises (Shin), 1, cat(Style Perks - Realistic), page(MA51)),

It should be like this;

#newitem(PE:Special Exercises (Striker, Crushing with Limb, Shin), 1, cat(Style Perks - Realistic), page(MA51)),

Also, in the 'Karate - Te' template, 'Counterattack' is still misspelled as 'Couterattack'

Last edited by dukofdeth; 10-20-2007 at 04:25 PM.
dukofdeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:54 AM   #38
Phil Masters

Quote:
I was trying to give the thumbnail description...
But even a thumbnail description shouldn't be, y'know, actually wrong.
Quote:
Just put the wildcard skill down, with the description optionally noting which skills and techniques it covers. Currently that's how Wildcard skills are handled anyways.
I believe (though I may be wrong) that if you take Sword!, and then add, say, a broadsword to your possessions list, and then print out the character sheet with combat details, it'll show that broadsword as being used at your Sword! skill.

If you add style wildcards. you'd have to make that work for Armatura Equestris!, and Kalaripayit!, and Kenjutsu!, and Iaijutsu!, and Nito Ryu!, and early Medieval Knightly Combat!, and High Medieval Knightly Combat!, and... Well, loads more. Virtually every melee weapon would acquire a long list of new skills with which it could be used. I don't know enough about the inner workings of GCA, but I suspect that would be a bit fiddly.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:16 AM   #39
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
If you add style wildcards. you'd have to make that work for Armatura Equestris!, and Kalaripayit!, and Kenjutsu!, and Iaijutsu!, and Nito Ryu!, and early Medieval Knightly Combat!, and High Medieval Knightly Combat!, and... Well, loads more. Virtually every melee weapon would acquire a long list of new skills with which it could be used. I don't know enough about the inner workings of GCA, but I suspect that would be a bit fiddly.
With the current system in GCA it would be annoyingly difficult to make each weapon correctly use new wildcard skills, since each weapon contains the list of skills which can possibly be used to wield it.

I can envision a new system which allowed a wildcard skill like Sword! to count as each of the underlying skills when weapons search for skillused. That way the weapons wouldn't have to be updated, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to implement that kind of system.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:42 PM   #40
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads

Another erratum:

Reversed Grip has a default of weapon skill-4 for a one handed weapon; it should be skill-6.
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads is offline   Reply With Quote