Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 02-15-2007, 02:41 PM   #1
Tinman

Default Imperial Intelligence & The Ine Givar

I am about to start GMing a new 3rd Imperium campaign and my players like to have an espionage focus in their games.

My question is where can I find detailed info on the Imp. Intell. and the I.G.

I have all the 3e Traveller books & there's a bunch there on the I.G. but not on the I.I.S. (?) (Heck they are so secret that I dont even know the official name of the organisation.)

Thanks in advance for all the help.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:59 PM   #2
Mark Caliber

Default Re: Imperial Intelligence & The Ine Givar

Where are you setting your campaign?

If you lodge it in the Sol Sector then you could open the campaing up between the Imperial Intelligence (. . . yeah I can't remember what the "S" stands for either, possibly I, I & Security?) and SolSec (Solomani Security.)

That setting is perfect for a "Cold war" style espianoge campaign, especially in the eastern sector (I cant remember if that's spinward or trailing.)
Mark Caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 03:05 PM   #3
Tinman

I was planing to set it in the Spinward Marches.
The opportunities with the Zhodani, Sword Worlds, Darrians, Fed of Arden & beyond the bordes are just to good to miss.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:08 PM   #4
Shrale

from the CT Fifth Frontier War Supplement...

Quote:
REGINA/REGINA (2314-A788899-A) 004-1106 The Travellers’ Aid Society has obtained an
exclusive interview with Major Windan Lorimer, Imperial Marines (ret), recently returned
from six months of duty as a captain of auxiliaries engaged in counter-insurgency actions
on the planet Efate (Regina 2109-A64930-D).

In the interview, Major Lorimer revealed that four months ago his battalion became engaged
in a firefight and subsequently captured twenty insurgents, two of who were officers.
Subsequent medical examination revealed that one of the two was actually a Zhodani officer
serving as an advisor to the Ine Givar cadres.

In response to queries concerning Major Lorimer’s claims, Rear Admiral Lord Santanocheev,
CINCNINT/RS (Commander-in-Chief, Naval Intelligence, Regina Subsector) today held a press
conference during which he claimed that Naval Intelligence was convinced that there was
neither Zhodani nor Ine Givar involvement in the Efate disturbances.

“What we have on Efate is a local, very minor situation. We’re handling it with local
forces and few mercenary contingents. If it were serious, we could commit army or marine
assets. We have some very potent assets in this subsector, but we haven’t felt the need to
commit them. This is not a serious situation, “he reported.

When asked about the report of a Zhodani officer, Lord Santanocheev replied, “Naval
Intelligence has this man in custody, and I can assure you that he is not a Zhodani
officer, or a Zhodani anything. I fought the Zhodani twenty years ago in this subsector. I
know the Zhodani, and this man is not a Zhodani.”

When contacted afterwards, Major Lorimer refused to comment on the admiral’s remarks,
beyond insisting that his original reports had been accurate.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Shrale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:43 PM   #5
Captain Midnight

According to MT's "Rebellion Sourcebook" (pp. 40-41), there wasn't really an Imperium-wide intelligence agency. Instead, you had several groups focused on different things -- Imperial Naval Intelligence was focused on military matters, while the Ministry of Justice looked at many civilian matters. GT:Nobles mentions the "Office of Calendar Compliance" as a likely source for some sort of skulduggery on an Imperium-wide basis, too. It seems likely that there are many different agencies, each with their own slightly different focus; the MoJ will have agents looking at internal-security issues and criminal threats, while Naval Intelligence may focus on external threats like the Ine Givar (though political concerns may always be a problem). The Ministry of Commerce probably has some excellent analysts (albeit focused on economic issues), and the Ministry of Technology conducts some industrial espionage. The Ministry of State has an Intelligence Division, with different bureaus that focus on various foreign powers as well as autonomous chunks of the Imperium (Nobles, pp. 64-65), while the Ministry of Information and Communication oversees (among other things) the Imperial Interstellar Scout Service. Various megacorporations also have their own intelligence services, with Tukera's Vemene being the most notorious.

If you're trying to run a "CIA vs. KGB" game with a new paint job, I'd assign the players to the Ministry of State's Zhodani Bureau. However, you could also make a case for Naval Intelligence, which is hardly a monolithic entity, no matter what Admiral Santanocheev has to say. Depending on how you feel about roleplaying bureaucratic infighting, that might be the most interesting situation overall. :)
Captain Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:20 AM   #6
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman
I am about to start GMing a new 3rd Imperium campaign and my players like to have an espionage focus in their games.

My question is where can I find detailed info on the Imp. Intell. and the I.G.
Originally the Ine Givar was a generic terrorist organization. GDW didn't develop any background for it beyond the fact that they were terrorists and that they didn't like the Imperium.

Andrew Moffat-Vallance wrote them up for JTAS Online:

http://jtas.sjgames.com/login/article.cgi?6

This isn't canon, but it is what I've decided to call pseudo-canon: It's compatible with canon and Traveller authors are allowed to use it as background (unlike fan material), so who knows, it might one day show up in canonical material.

The Ine Givar are mentioned in 26 other JTAS Online articles. Some are just casual references, but there are a few with more substance.

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:22 AM   #7
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Midnight
According to MT's "Rebellion Sourcebook" (pp. 40-41), there wasn't really an Imperium-wide intelligence agency. Instead, you had several groups focused on different things -- Imperial Naval Intelligence was focused on military matters, while the Ministry of Justice looked at many civilian matters.
Try finding some information about British intelligence agencies during the Napoleonic Wars for inspiration. Various organizations often worked at cross-purposes.

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:36 AM   #8
G. Kashkanun Anderson

To be clear: both the Imperial Naval Intelligence (INI) and the Imperial Ministry of Justice (MOJ) are Imperium-wide in their scope; it's their mandates that are limited. You can find INI and MOJ agents all over the Imperium, even if (officially) they are limited in their duties to specified, separate roles.

The Scouts, too, have a security arm (which seems to be more concerned with internal affairs) and the famous Detached Duty Office, the debriefing agency that anyone who's been given an old scout ship should be intimately familiar with. The IISS probably knows a heckuva lot more about what's really going on than they ever let on.

Bureaucratic turf-wrangling being what it is, of course, I'm sure there's a tremendous amount of overlap between the agencies -- as well between them and the semi-official groups floating around out there (Imperiallines, the megacorporations, individual major worlds, the Travellers' Aid Society, etc.).
Old 02-16-2007, 01:05 PM   #9
Captain Midnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Rancke-Madsen
Try finding some information about British intelligence agencies during the Napoleonic Wars for inspiration. Various organizations often worked at cross-purposes.
Read today's newspapers, and think about the "Pentagon vs. CIA" deathmatches, too. The more things change...
Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Kashkanun Anderson
To be clear: both the Imperial Naval Intelligence (INI) and the Imperial Ministry of Justice (MOJ) are Imperium-wide in their scope; it's their mandates that are limited. You can find INI and MOJ agents all over the Imperium, even if (officially) they are limited in their duties to specified, separate roles.
There will certainly be concentrations, both in subject matter and in astrographic terms -- I'd be extremely surprised to see an equally heavy INI presence in Gushemege sector as is present in the Spinward Marches, for instance. There will also be questions of specialization; to put in today's terms, if the FBI were to present an evaluation of the capabilities of the Russian Navy to deploy the Northern Fleet for an extended period, I'd wonder about just why they're dealing with that issue. Likewise, you wouldn't expect a detailed Department of Defense report on Mafia operations in New Jersey.
Quote:
The Scouts, too, have a security arm (which seems to be more concerned with internal affairs) and the famous Detached Duty Office, the debriefing agency that anyone who's been given an old scout ship should be intimately familiar with. The IISS probably knows a heckuva lot more about what's really going on than they ever let on.

Bureaucratic turf-wrangling being what it is, of course, I'm sure there's a tremendous amount of overlap between the agencies -- as well between them and the semi-official groups floating around out there (Imperiallines, the megacorporations, individual major worlds, the Travellers' Aid Society, etc.).
Exactly. The question is what they'd actually do with the information... and that's something you, as the GM, will have to come up with an answer for. If the Scouts are actually the Imperium's chief spies and counter-intelligence personnel, that will be a different sort of game than if Naval Intelligence (or the Ministry of Justice) is the principal weapon against the Ine Givar and their allies. I'd be very interested in seeing what an organization like the Scout Service's Field Branch could do if they were tasked as an intelligence agency -- that mission focus could give very interesting results.
Captain Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:54 PM   #10
G. Kashkanun Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Midnight
There will certainly be concentrations, both in subject matter and in astrographic terms -- I'd be extremely surprised to see an equally heavy INI presence in Gushemege sector as is present in the Spinward Marches, for instance.
Heh. I'm reminded of the fact that Strephon has, by all accounts, a pretty swank palace in Gushemege sector. And I may be wrong, but isn't that where all the Longbow I/II (which does not exist! Move along, human!!) data is being correlated?

So there might be a lot more going on there than you think. Still waters ...

Quote:
If the Scouts are actually the Imperium's chief spies and counter-intelligence personnel, that will be a different sort of game than if Naval Intelligence (or the Ministry of Justice) is the principal weapon against the Ine Givar and their allies. I'd be very interested in seeing what an organization like the Scout Service's Field Branch could do if they were tasked as an intelligence agency -- that mission focus could give very interesting results.
Another funny point: in the Other Traveller Universe where Bad Things Happen All the Time and Nothing Ever Really Goes Right, the Strephon-who-was-NOT-killed was unable to take over any uncompromised INI assets, and was forced to set up his ad-hoc intelligence agency based on the IISS assets in the sector.

And we all know how well that worked out for him.

Still, the Scouts would probably have better xeno-sophontology expertise to draw on, which might give them a rather more nuanced strategy in regards to dealing with the non-human empires surrounding the Imperium. I might even trust the IISS better to give me the straight digs on exactly what Hiver intentions are towards the Imperium, for instance.