Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

View Poll Results: What is your typical Munchkin game like?
Just one core set. 11 5.37%
One core set with some or all of its expansions. 142 69.27%
Two or more core sets mixed together, but no expansions. 5 2.44%
Two or more core sets plus some expansions. 9 4.39%
Everything we have - all the core sets, expansions, and promo cards we can shuffle. 11 5.37%
Our games vary way too widely to answer any of the above. 20 9.76%
These choices do not adequately describe our games, and I shall explain in the comments. 7 3.41%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2013, 11:21 PM   #41
majikfreak

Default Re: What is your typical Munchkin game like?

I personally build custom decks for my play group. We are a blood thirsty cutthroat group that loves to cause total chaos every turn. I love Conan and I added Dwarves and all their gear from base fantasy and 2 1/2 reloaded boosters. I also add a few more lvl 15+ monsters and the Monster Enhancer booster.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:08 AM   #42
bbcourt

Zombie Apocalypse is our group's goto deck.

We have the regular set, Zombie, Apocalypse, and Munchkin Fu. We also have the Skullkickers booster and the Holiday Expansion set.

Regular with Skullkickers is also pretty fun for some dwarfy goodness, as well as regular with the holiday expansions.
bbcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:08 AM   #43
Trsevener

I have a couple game groups I play in, so my answer could vary a bit.

One group has fairly new players that I am infecting ... er ... introducing to Munchkin in all its wonder. That group plays pretty friendly and I tend to try to keep the game simple so everyone has a good time and does not get wound up in intricate rules and combinations. I do have a couple players ready for the next group.

The second group has been to some conventions and played in some tournaments. We know the rules well and how to create the oddball combinations that can make Munchkin so much fun for us. This group plays more blended games for the laughs. We are friends and will be at the end of the game, but during play we can get a little cutthroat.

Indiana MIB available for demos and tournaments. Please check out my Facebook page to see what I am up to.
Trsevener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #44
mavzb

I keep the expansions/promos shuffled in with their relevant core sets, so sorting tham all out is timeconsuming (so never happens!)

We've not (yet) tried a blended game - the one blend a few people were eager to try was Star with Good/Bad - a sort of Firefly Munchkin, if you will... Of course, first one of use will need to get Good/Bad!
mavzb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #45
EReynolds11

I always play with the Original core set mixed with the Conan core. Along with every expansion, booster, and promo card ever made for those respective sets. It makes for a longer and more exciting game!!
EReynolds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #46
mmbfan

I have all of the core sets and all of the expansions. I'm pretty sure I have all the boosters as well. I also have the Boxes of Holding/Cthulhu Crypts/Meat Lockers. I have each core set with all of the appropriate expansions and boosters mixed in to make a complete set (all cards with matched backs are together).

We usually play a blender game with two or three complete sets. When we play Blender games we don't shuffle various sets together, but we use a dice roll house rule to make it random which pile you pull a card from. This way you have the same effect as a shuffled deck, without having to separate sets later.
mmbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #47
mrjensmeister

Becuase games tend to take too long, and I want to encourage repeat players, I customize each game (and make a list of what I used for reuse) for speed. The decks used vary but I ussually choose a theme to run with, like cowboys in space (not to be confused with aliens vs. cowboys) or sports or zombies attacking the home or nice (full of partnership bonuses).
mrjensmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #48
DHLarson

I apologize about this being a wall of text so I’ll quickly give some context and then you can decide if reading the entire post is worth your time. If not then no hard feelings.

My group is all in our late 20s or early 30s. In our high school days we played Magic and L5R religiously. In college we played D&D in the RPGA fairly competitively. But now that we all have careers and have started families we have found Munchkin to fit our life styles better then any other game. It easy to manage and isn't intimidating that kids and spouses can’t get in on a game. There is also plenty of strategy and complexity for us to nerd out over.

In short, we play once a week and will typically play two or three games in a sitting. We play with a mix of core sets decks combined with their expansions and a few mixed set decks. The one we call the “Conan Holiday Special” is our favorite deck.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

My group plays from a fairly big collection of Munchkin decks almost every set printed (We are still working on getting them all). Over the last year we have found a hand full of decks that we keep coming back too. Our bread and butter decks are the Zombie, Cthulhu, and Apocalypse sets with all expansions. These sets are just so good on their own that we don’t mess with them. We play them over and over. We also frequently play Axe Cop and Pirates.

Our favorite deck on the other hand is the “Conan Holiday Special” which you probably can deduce is the Conan set with all the Holiday themed boosters but also all the licensed booster (minus the race pacific cards), a bunch of fantasy promo and W23 boosters cards, all the fantasy mini expansions sets (dice bag cards, jumbo dice cards and the rest) and a bunch of undead monsters and related cards lifted from various fantasy sets. It is ridiculous but also surprisingly balanced. It’s common to have high level players die, level 2 players to jump to level 8 or 9, and high level players with low combat score or low level players with high combat scores. Games with this deck can take up to 2 hours to play but it is super fun the entire time. We really love this deck and get super excited when we get to add new cards to it.

We are also constantly mixing decks together trying to find something special. Currently we are working on a Pirate and Star deck loaded up with all the expansions. Ships is the real draw to this deck but what we are finding is that everyone gears up quickly but we can’t stop or slow each other down. We are still working out which cards to exclude to make it playable.

There are also two fantasy decks floating around. One with Munchkin 1, 2 and 3 mixed in that we call Munchkin Classic and the other has Munchkin 1, 4, 5, and 8 which we call Munchkin Modern. They get tweaked here and there with cards from Reloaded!, Marked For Death, and Monster Enhancers but the idea is to keep is simple and true to Munchkin.

EDIT: Cut out a big chuck that was off topic that I'm going to put into its own thread.

Last edited by DHLarson; 03-25-2013 at 03:07 PM.
DHLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #49
jvacca1

I like mixing it up, having most sets make variety readily available, and that's honestly what makes Munchkin have such a compelling replayability. We mix it up so much it's hard to classify a specific means we use.
jvacca1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #50
Master Fwiffo

I have (almost) all the coresets and (almost) all the expansions, but our games are usually limited to one 'flavor' of Munchkin at a time.
Master Fwiffo is offline   Reply With Quote