Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
Grunker

Default Making a static trap as a Power

Hi again - I'm back to bother you one last time (promise) with questions regarding the signs in my Witcher supplement for GURPS.

I'm almost finished. I only need the basic outlines for one more sign. This time it is Yrden:

Basically, Yrden is a power that forms a magical trap on the ground that triggers a limited number of times when traversed by a foe casing knock back, damage, and a chance of inflicting status ailments.

So that's what we need to create. The knock back, damage and other status ailments should be easy to apply to a power. But how to make a symbol in a surface that when touched applies the powers effects? I don't know of anything like that with Innate Attack.

Last edited by Grunker; 05-06-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Grunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
vierasmarius

Default Re: Making a static trap as a Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunker View Post
Hi again - I'm back to bother you one last time (promise) with questions regarding the signs in my Witcher supplement for GURPS.

I'm almost finished. I only need the basic outlines for one more sign. This time it is Yrden:

Basically, Yrden is a power that forms a magical trap on the ground that triggers a limited number of times when traversed by a foe casing knock back, damage, and a chance of inflicting status ailments.

So that's what we need to create. The knock back, damage and other status ailments should be easy to apply to a power. But how to make a symbol in a surface that when touched applies the powers effects? I don't know of anything like that with Innate Attack.
The go-to enhancement for "trap" powers is Delay (Triggered) +50% (B105). You have to declare what the trigger is at the time you buy the power; this can include remote detonation, proximity, etc. The difficulty here is that it can trigger multiple times. This is similar to the Persistent and Cyclic enhancements, but different in that instead of a single use that lasts for a duration, it gets multiple instant uses. There might be something about this in PU4: Enhancements (which I don't have yet, unfortunately).
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
Grunker

PU4? That might actually be a GURPS book I don't own. One of the few in that case. Delay - Triggered sounds perfect though. I'm sure it won't take much work to get that to where we want to go.

EDIT: Yep, don't have that. I have none of the Power-Ups books actually.

Last edited by Grunker; 05-06-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
munin

Delay, Triggered is good (especially for poisoned apples, etc.), but for an effect on the ground you can just use Area Effect and Persistent:

Crushing Attack (Area Effect, 1 yard, +25%; Double Knockback, +20%; Extended Duration, Permanent, Limited Use* (3 uses, -20%), +120%; Persistent, +40%; Side Effect, +50% or more)

Creates a 1-yard radius trap which inflicts damage and knockback, and victims must roll vs. HT, at -1 per 2 points of penetrating damage, or be afflicted with a condition. Works three times. Adjust as necessary.

* see Limited Enhancements, p. B111.

Last edited by munin; 05-06-2012 at 02:40 PM.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
Grunker

Boss!

That solution looks quite elegant, but I'm not sure about the interaction of permanent, persistent and limited use?

Last edited by Grunker; 05-06-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
Permanent, Limited Use* (3 uses, -20%),
Maybe I'm just tired, but this doesn't make much sense to me. It's persistent so it lasts for 10 seconds normally. Extended duration permanent means it lasts forever instead. How does putting limited uses on Extended duration even work?

IMO, you still need Triggered Delay (instead of Extended Duration here). If you want it to work three times, lay three traps. This is cheaper, anyway.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #7
Grunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Maybe I'm just tired, but this doesn't make much sense to me. It's persistent so it lasts for 10 seconds normally. Extended duration permanent means it lasts forever instead. How does putting limited uses on Extended duration even work?

IMO, you still need Triggered Delay (instead of Extended Duration here). If you want it to work three times, lay three traps. This is cheaper, anyway.
I need to be able to adjust the duration so that it is removed. I.e., somone steps on it, it activates and disappears.

Tags
powers, witcher