Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 08-04-2020, 05:38 AM   #1
Anders

Default Dice superstitions and rituals

The dice are our gods. They determine the outcomes of the game and - to some extent - the enjoyment of the game.

Do you have any rituals or superstitions around dice? I have a friend who won't let anyone else touch his dice. He also orders his dice so they point with the highest number up (we play D&D, so there are plenty of different dice to choose from).

I heard of another guy who bought a huge batch of very small dice. When any of them came up "1" he would tell the other die to watch this, and swallowed it whole. I have no idea if this helped.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:29 AM   #2
coronatiger

Default Re: Dice superstitions and rituals

I have a friend who begins every session by test rolling his 36 dice and sorting them into skill dice and damage dice. (We play GURPS.)

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:19 AM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Less a superstition, more an annoyance: I had a friend in college who would visit the game store once a month or so to roll their giant collection of loose d20s.

Everything that didn't roll 20 went back into the bin, and he rolled all the 20s a second time. Rinse, repeat, until he was down to two or three d20s that had rolled 20 several times in a row. Those, he bought, to replace the dice he'd bought last month that turned out to be disappointingly random after all.

Gamers. What are you gonna do.

EDIT: I just realized, this guy was the first gamer I ever heard called a "munchkin." Life's weird.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23

Last edited by Andrew Hackard; 08-04-2020 at 10:00 AM.
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:04 AM   #4
khorboth

Dice that are behaving badly go in "time out" and others get to play.

The first dice I ever bought are my GM dice. Nobody else gets to use them, and they only get used when I'm the gm. (Translucent d100 set)

When my dice are not in use, I let them "idle" with favorable scores facing up, depending on system.

I have a degree in prob/stat. I have even better than average knowledge that none of this matters. But... none of us are immune.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:53 AM   #5
Luke Bunyip

Our group of players always share a large pool of dice. But we never use the same dice as the DM.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:31 PM   #6
DeadParrot

After many years of using an ad-hoc collection of old dice, a legacy of starting gaming while being a poor college student, I finally purchased a nice dice bag and matching dice. Have added to the collection many times, always the same color scheme. If during a game, a particular die becomes a trouble maker, it gets set aside and a replacement pulled out. After the game, all the dice go back in the bag and start as equals the next game.

No qualms about letting others use my dice during a game.
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:55 PM   #7
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

For our Tabletop Simulator games, we have included "black hole trashcans" for the players to throw their "offensive" dice. They really like that.

I'm using the same, six, virtual dice (two groups of three). I'll generate as many as I need if I have to roll a bunch, then trash them, but that's more to keep the table clean than anything else. My sister will trash any dice that fail a roll and pull three more out of her infinite bag.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:51 PM   #8
WaterAndWindSpirit

On dice rollers, I always get awesome dice results... When I'm the GM. So when I want my players to be awesome, I get awesome dice rolls as GM.

As a player though, I get horrible rolls all the time. Though I usually pull through. Never had a character die, but once I was 1 HP away from death following a crit fail on Fallout tabletop.

So either the dice roller is loaded in favor of the GM, or Roll20 just hates me.
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:23 PM   #9
Bengt

As I mostly play on roll20 there aren't any physical dice around but there sure are a lot of joking about hacks when someone has a streak of good or bad rolls.
Bengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:59 AM   #10
Michael Cule

One of my players will, when we are playing GURPS, take out all the d6 from his dice bag and put them in matched trios, the six upwards, neatly in a column down by the side of his note-taking folder.

Another is just convinced he has the worst dice luck in the world.

A third keeps his dice in a sea shell with a pink 'lucky' crystal to keep it charged with good mojo. I think he may be being ironical but it's hard to tell.
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dice, rituals