Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:31 AM   #1
RedLeif508

Default Off board artillery rules draft

Hi, I have some alternate rules that concern off board artillery units.

They need some editing and definitely some more play testing.

Any feedback is appreciated.

google docs link:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Leif,

P.S. if you want this in PDF or Word format (it looks better) PM me your contact info
Old 07-10-2020, 02:37 PM   #2
selenite

Default Re: Off board artillery rules draft

It's a coherent set of rules, and clean copy.

The official background lore says that the limit on artillery is being shot down by laser counterfire or not being able to find the target through jamming. You answered the second part with forward units being spotters but didn't discuss the issue.

Current rules cover the off-board artillery niche with cruise missiles launch from offboard. Given the limitations of artillery in your rules those might still be more cost-effective.
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:52 AM   #3
RedLeif508

Thank you for reading them and giving me some good feedback.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:31 PM   #4
TexPoec

I love seeing the creativity of the Ogre community. The game is such a simple system that it is tempting to make house rules, new units, etc. If we took all these created over the years and combined them, we might give Advanced Squad Leader's binder a run for its money.

Artillery may be the biggest challenge with any modern (certainly WWI and later) table top game. As you document, the ranges are way beyond any direct fire weapon. On the other hand, I like seeing the pieces on board.

Thanks for sharing.
TexPoec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:01 PM   #5
dwalend

Interesting rules.

XX.03.1 - What to do with Heavy Weapons Infantry for range? How about damaged ogres?

XX.03.2 - Instead of introducing a new CRT, consider just declaring some strength of regular spill-over fire. Or fire at half-strength if you still want to damage ogres. That way we can still use the CRT we've all memorized.

Would on-map units be able to do this, too?

XX.05.1 - How vulnerable should the artillery be to a loaded GEV-PC?

Another option to consider - the average lifespan of a unit in Ogre (except ogres) is about three turns after contact with the enemy. Maybe off-board artillery could be purchased as a number of shots. For example: 12 VP gets you three 6-AF shots at targets within 6 hexes of your map edge. You pay for tokens at the beginning of the game that you trade for off-board artillery shots.

Last edited by dwalend; 07-27-2020 at 10:28 AM.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:32 AM   #6
RedLeif508

Dwalend thanks for your questions and thought provoking ideas.
yes new CRT's are not likely appreciated.

03.1 maximum range of weapon system. just because the ogre/HWT team no longer has missiles doesn't mean its targeting computer system has shut down. The max range of sighting is more to keep Off Board Artillery from being a complete Cruise missile replacement. I am trying to simply model real artillery (yeah I know Ogre is Not real world but I'm just tryin anyway). In fact as any unit can spot any unit anywhere the range limits seem a little artificial.

yes I think on board artillery could do this also. Which would be a good way to rationalize why it can't be shot down.

obviously its back to the game board for more play testing for my rules. thanks again to all who have looked these over and provided feedback. these will undoubtedly influence future revisions of my arty rules.

Regards
Leif