Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 08-15-2023, 12:41 PM   #1
existence

Default what is the optional fire action?

Hello Autoduelists,

In the FAQ, it says:

Each phase consists of three steps:
1. Change speeds (optional - may be performed once per turn).
2. Move (as required by the movement chart for the current phase based on speed).
3. Fire (optional - may be performed once per turn per character).

Is the fire option to attempt to extinguish a fire? And if so, since it occurs at the end of a phase, and the FAQ also indicates that checking for fires, checking extinguishers, etc, are end of turn functions, does that mean that any fire extinguished in this part of the phase would have to be from a previous turn?

Many thanks. I'm getting classic Car Wars to the table this Wednesday for the first time in many years and I can't wait!
existence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 02:28 PM   #2
43Supporter

Default Re: what is the optional fire action?

Quote:
Originally Posted by existence View Post
Is the fire option to attempt to extinguish a fire?
No. "Fire" here refer to Firing Weapons -- each crew member (driver, and gunner[s]) gets one "firing action", used to fire a weapon (or in some cases, use a piece of equipment, like Overdrive).

Fire Extinguishers operate automatically (except for Portable FEs, and Foam Grenades).

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 12:01 PM   #3
existence

Yeesh! I can't believe that didn't occur to me . Thanks for setting me straight there.
Old 08-16-2023, 02:07 PM   #4
Racer

Vehicular Fire Extinguishers CAN be triggered with a Firing Action as well . This eliminates a Fire and any Fire Modifiers/Burn Duration markers on the Vehicle . This was in a ADQ&A but check with the Duel Master first .

I often link my Fire Extinguisher to a main Weapon 'just in case' - $50 and peace of mind when in heavy "Fire" fights ... :-)

Last edited by Racer; 08-16-2023 at 02:10 PM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 06:58 AM   #5
existence

I think the reason I interpreted the word "fire" in that FAQ item as referring to the noun and not the verb is because I just finished reading through the Car Wars 4th edition reissue rules, and the rules about fires and how to deal with them were basically the only thing I was confused about, which prompted me to come here to start fishing for info. Honestly, I'm still not quite 100% on how it all works, but it's ok, games with the level of madness and chaos of Car Wars won't be broken by getting a few details wrong here and there.

Many thanks to all!
Old 08-17-2023, 02:04 PM   #6
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Vehicular Fire Extinguishers CAN be triggered with a Firing Action as well .
They *can* be -- but it's pointless, as the [I]FE activates automatically when the car catches fire.

Quote:
I think the reason I interpreted the word "fire" in that FAQ item as referring to the noun and not the verb is because I just finished reading through the Car Wars 4th edition reissue rules, and the rules about fires and how to deal with them were basically the only thing I was confused about, which prompted me to come here to start fishing for info. Honestly, I'm still not quite 100% on how it all works, but it's ok, games with the level of madness and chaos of Car Wars won't be broken by getting a few details wrong here and there.
It is a problem when the rules use one word with multiple possible meanings -- "turn" is another one; does it refer to the series of game-play actions, or the act of changing a vehicle's direction?

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 11:11 PM   #7
ak_aramis

Quote:
Hello Autoduelists,

In the FAQ, it says:

Each phase consists of three steps:
1. Change speeds (optional - may be performed once per turn).
2. Move (as required by the movement chart for the current phase based on speed).
3. Fire (optional - may be performed once per turn per character).
I teach step 3 as "Firing Actions" to avoid that confusion.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote