Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-12-2020, 09:38 AM   #11
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: [Space] Adding flavour to 'man in a can'

A refugee camp probably makes more sense. I can imagine a scenario where the colonies of Callisto were largely abandoned after the invention of FTL a few generations ago, and they were bought up for pennies on the dollar by nonprofits to provide emergency shelter. Since the refuges were not in immediate danger of dying, the involved governments just provided them with a small per capita stipend, basic services, and basic necessities, allowing for the evolution of many small unique cultures as refugees became unintentional immigrants to Callisto.

Callisto probably possesses a small carrying capacity. It probably has a RVM+0, giving it an Affinity 0, meaning that it will only support around 2.8 million people before standards of living start dropping. Of course, the Early Bombardment Period could have dropped loads of exotic and rare materials onto the surface of Callisto while it was still active, meaning that they were subducted into the ice four billion years ago before Callisto died, giving it a RVM+2 (and an Affinity 2). With that, Callisto could support 11.2 million people (and would have had an initial economic reason for large scale colonization).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:13 AM   #12
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Think about what makes different cities flavorful. The same principles apply.

Some habitats will be as bland and similar as one patch of suburbia is to another. They will be limited by resources and cost. Some will strive for a common ideal habitat, while others will go to lengths to stand out or display wealth.

Things that could make a habitat different include:
  • The weather. Its artificial, but that just lets you customize it.
  • Architecture. This could be as simple as the shape of your plastic siding to emulate a different kind of covering. It could be your color schemes, or how high you build, or a preference for split level dwellings.
  • Vegetation, or other landscaping. Tree species, flower type and Density, presence or absense of ponds, color of rock types, and so on.
  • Layout can make a big difference. How are roads laid out? Greenspaces? Commercial vs industrial areas?

And that's without getting to the people or industrial influences.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:20 AM   #13
Frost

One small point, while I am using Callisto as a template I am actually planning to set this thing out of the sol system so what we are talking about is not Callisto per se but an icy moon of similar size outside the local jovian's radiation belts.

The Jovian moon thing is as I said a function of a particular scenario lots of Relitively close bodies. I may spend some time working out why people are there.

Placing the city near an impact site makes sense though.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:54 PM   #14
AlexanderHowl

Here is a suggestion

Primary/Secondary/Tertiary Cultural Influences (roll 3d6 for each):

3-Native Australian
4-Polynesian
5-Micronesian
6-Melanesian
7-Central Asian
8-West Asian
9-Southeast Asian
10-East Asian
11-South Asian
12-Sub-Saharan African
13-Western European
14-Eastern European
15-North African
16-Native South American
17-Native Middle American
18-Native North American
Old 08-12-2020, 07:19 PM   #15
dcarson

Founder effect will matter also. One member of the original controlling body that is say a firm beliver in public spaces should have art can make a solid change in how the colony looks and it becomes a tradition if they stay in power long enough.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:48 PM   #16
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Here is a suggestion

Primary/Secondary/Tertiary Cultural Influences (roll 3d6 for each):

3-Native Australian
4-Polynesian
5-Micronesian
6-Melanesian
7-Central Asian
8-West Asian
9-Southeast Asian
10-East Asian
11-South Asian
12-Sub-Saharan African
13-Western European
14-Eastern European
15-North African
16-Native South American
17-Native Middle American
18-Native North American
Is the fact that Sub-Saharan African is more common than Western European intentional? I could certainly see it, a Kenyan Renaissance built upon space investment (equatorial launch site, or even the ground station of a space elevator).
Old 08-12-2020, 08:50 PM   #17
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Is the fact that Sub-Saharan African is more common than Western European intentional? I could certainly see it, a Kenyan Renaissance built upon space investment (equatorial launch site, or even the ground station of a space elevator).
It is more of a reflection of projected future population rankings than current cultural influence. It also could be used to classify existing nations. For example, the three major cultural influences in the contemporary USA are Western European, Sub-Saharan African, and Native North American.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:38 AM   #18
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
It is more of a reflection of projected future population rankings than current cultural influence. It also could be used to classify existing nations. For example, the three major cultural influences in the contemporary USA are Western European, Sub-Saharan African, and Native North American.
I really don't think so. Yes on the first two, but Native American really hasn't had a lot of cultural impact; much more of the memetic flow has gone the other way (how many Native Americans are Christians, for example?). If you're looking for a third culture, I'd say East Asian, both old (Buddhism, for example) and recent (consider the relative socioeconomic positions of blacks, whites, and East Asians, or the cultural prevalence of anime and martial arts).

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:51 AM   #19
TGLS

I found these two tables a while ago, one GDP biased, one population biased.

Code:
GDP 1d6:
->1 - China
->2 - United States
->3 - 1d6:
->->1-2 - India
->->3-4 - Japan
->->5 - Germany
->->6 - Japan
->4 - 1d6:
->->1 - Brazil
->->2 - Indonesia
->->3 - France
->->4 - United Kingdom
->->5 - Mexico
->->6 - Italy
->5 - 2d6:
->->2 - South Africa
->->3 - Taiwan
->->4 - Iran
->->5 - Spain
->->6 - Saudi Arabia
->->7 - South Korea
->->8 - Canada
->->9 - Turkey
->->10 - Australia
->->11 - Thailand
->->12 - Bangladesh
->6 - 3d6:
->->3 - Belgium
->->4 - Iraq
->->5 - Venezuela
->->6 - United Arab Emirates
->->7 - Philippines
->->8 - Netherlands
->->9 - Egypt
->->10 - Poland
->->11 - Nigeria
->->12 - Argentina
->->13 - Pakistan
->->14 - Malaysia
->->15 - Colombia
->->16 - Algeria
->->17 - Vietnam
->->18 - Switzerland
Code:
Population 1d6:
->1 - China
->2 - India
->3 - 2d6
->->2 - Canada
->->3 - Argentina
->->4 - Colombia
->->5-6 - United States
->->7 - Brazil
->->8 - Mexico
->->9 - Germany
->->10 - United Kingdom
->->11 - Spain
->->12 - Peru
->4 - 2d6
->->2 - Venezuela
->->3 - Ukraine
->->4 - Italy
->->5 - Egypt
->->6 - Russia
->->7 - Pakistan
->->8 - Philippines
->->9 - Turkey
->->10 - France
->->11 - Poland
->->12 - Uzbekistan
->5 - 2d6
->->2 - Morocco
->->3 - Algeria
->->4 - South Korea
->->5-6 - Indonesia
->->7 - Bangladesh
->->8 - Vietnam
->->9 - Thailand
->->10 - Myanmar
->->11 - Iraq
->->12 - Malaysia
->6 - 2d6
->->2 - Saudi Arabia
->->3 - Kenya
->->4 - Tanzania
->->5 - Democratic Republic of the Congo
->->6 - Japan
->->7 - Nigeria
->->8 - Ethiopia
->->9 - Iran
->->10 - South Africa
->->11 - Sudan
->->12 - Uganda
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:13 AM   #20
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I really don't think so. Yes on the first two, but Native American really hasn't had a lot of cultural impact; much more of the memetic flow has gone the other way (how many Native Americans are Christians, for example?). If you're looking for a third culture, I'd say East Asian, both old (Buddhism, for example) and recent (consider the relative socioeconomic positions of blacks, whites, and East Asians, or the cultural prevalence of anime and martial arts).
The US Constitution was based off the principles of the Iroquois Confederation, we eat a number of foods that the settlers took from the Native Americans, and Hispanic culture is a fusion of Western European, Sub-Saharan African, and Native American cultures. In addition, there are probably still more people in the USA with Native American genes than East Asian genes. Now, East Asian culture is growing in importance in the USA, especially Japanese and Korean culture, but the modern manifestation of those two cultures are heavily influenced by US culture, so much so that the secondary and tertiary influences in both cultures are Western European and Sub-Saharan African (despite the fact that neither of them were ever colonized by Western Europe and only minorly participated in the African slave trade). For example, the development of Japanese anime was heavily influenced by American science fiction and American comic books read by GIs during the occupation, as well as by the cultural presence of Christian missionaries and the US military during that time.