Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-06-2020, 01:56 AM   #7
Steve Plambeck

Default Re: Why Magic Items

Only once have I ever seen an outright revolt by all the players against a GM. And I was one of the players revolting.

It was a long, long journey we were on, and each of four players had brought two of their oldest and most advanced PCs. We basically carried all our worldly possessions as we were going to be away from home base nearly a year. We had pack mules and a couple carts, backpacks, chests, camping gear, the works. There were fine weapons, silver weapons, and fine armor all around, and a spare of each packed away. All our treasure from almost a decade of play, hard won to be sure. I can't tell you how hard my senior PC had worked and saved for his arms and other gear.

And at one point near the end, the climax to the whole quest, our party is captured, having been put to sleep by gas or spell (I don't recall which). We all wake up naked in a cell.

By a plot twist too complicated to go into, an old companion gets us out of the cell and leads us to a secret door out of this underworld.

Story over, congrats, lucky the ones who survived. You're in walking distance of your hometown.

And we said, wait, what about our stuff? The GM said it was all lost, there was no way back for it, be glad you're alive.

Oh the outcry! It got nasty. We were ready to lynch the GM. After a heated argument he relented, backtracked, and had us pass a side-room during the escape where we at least found what we'd been wearing at the moment of capture, which for my guy included his extra fine saber, crossbow, and fine plate armor that had cost a bloody fortune amassed over years of play. But there had been a backup of each in the mule train, and no one got any of that gear back.