Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:33 PM   #71
ColBosch

Default Re: OGRE IN ITALY

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
That might explain some of how my grandfathers and great uncles talked. Is it as old as WWII?
Most "pro-words" were developed alongside the widescale distribution of two-way radios in the military, so I do believe that's correct.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:09 PM   #72
Leonidas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
Most "pro-words" were developed alongside the widescale distribution of two-way radios in the military, so I do believe that's correct.
Wow, thanks for the clarification. I had no clue about that.
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:42 PM   #73
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Wow, thanks for the clarification. I had no clue about that.
"Repeat," at least in the US Army, specifically means "conduct the last artillery fire mission again." It's a super-fast way to get more shells on target, but soldiers do have to be trained to not use the word unless they mean it.

One day when I was at Fort Lewis, my platoon was practicing clearing and crossing minefields in our HMMWVs. The routine is to back away from the field, call in artillery to set off the mines, then advance the column one vehicle at a time, with the others providing overwatch. We were doing fine until it was Private Can't-Get-Right's turn on the radio. As our platoon sergeant's vehicle was crossing the "minefield," they called in something that got garbled. PVT Can't-Get-Right picks up his mike and says, with no identifiers, "can you repeat that?" Suddenly our Troop's mortar sergeant - who we didn't even know was listening in - responds, "ROGER! Repeating last mission! Over!" I'll give my Sergeant credit, he turned on his mike and had the guys in the Hummer screaming and banging around while they made explosion sounds.

Ever since then, I've been careful about using the word. :D
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:05 AM   #74
Leonidas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
Ever since then, I've been careful about using the word. :D
I bet you are. Thank you for sharing your story!

I assembled all the battlebox minis today and regaraged some ogres. At this juncture, the ODE box is not enough to keep everything. I have to build a secnd box to store the second garage and black tray.

As to the minis:
- Superheavys are perfect.
- CP perfect as alwaiys.
- Too bad that the Mobile Howitzer‘s gun should be glued. It can rotate but it does fall off frequently.
- The Paneuropean Ogre is super, and the turret can rotate. There is no need to glue anything there.
- Light Gevs are great, Gev PCs are fine, and Infantry is easy to mange in the vehicles
- The true pain is the Light Tank. LTs require an hobbyst with moderate experience to avoid making a mess assembling sll the components.

The paper map is not super, but it is very easy to carry along, so it extremely useful. The manuals are printed of a slightly less quality paper tha Ode’s or 6th ed.

Anyway....whatever. It is a great gameset, for a very convenient price. I am very satisfied, and looking forward to lead my army.
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote