Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-14-2018, 10:01 AM   #1
RyanW

Default But is it really the sudden stop?

At least some fall damage is due to sudden deceleration, but some of it is also the fact that the bits that hit the ground stop while the bits above them try to keep going.

If, by magic or technology, you could stop a fall instantly by stopping every part of a person simultaneously, how much would that reduce fall damage?
Old 01-14-2018, 10:20 AM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: But is it really the sudden stop?

That would use the rules for Acceleration rather than Collisions. Assuming a spread eagled fall at 60 yards per second you would need to make a HT-2 roll (-4 for 6G; +2 for position) and lose 1 FP per margin of failure and black out on a critical failure (although in this case you would actually red out).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:37 AM   #3
acrosome

Well, if you sort of magically remove all kinetic energy from every individual molecule at the moment of impact then theoretically you would take no damage whatsoever.

Except that you'd also be frozen solid.

And then shatter from thermal shock.

Very messy.

Last edited by acrosome; 01-14-2018 at 10:42 AM.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:53 AM   #4
Armin
GCA Prime

But what if you didn't remove all kinetic energy; just that along the falling vector. I think that's what RyanW is actually asking about.

There shouldn't be any freezing, then. And you shouldn't red or black out, because all your blood is still doing exactly what it ought to, right? And there's no brain smashing against skull, no other internal collisions or malformations. Are there really any issues if you could magically catch someone like that?
Old 01-14-2018, 11:06 AM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
But what if you didn't remove all kinetic energy; just that along the falling vector. I think that's what RyanW is actually asking about.

There shouldn't be any freezing, then. And you shouldn't red or black out, because all your blood is still doing exactly what it ought to, right? And there's no brain smashing against skull, no other internal collisions or malformations. Are there really any issues if you could magically catch someone like that?
No, because there would be no difference between that and just teleporting to the ground.

I don't think that the OP meant that though.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:50 AM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
If, by magic or technology, you could stop a fall instantly by stopping every part of a person simultaneously, how much would that reduce fall damage?
To zero. The damage is all from different parts of the body decelerating at different rates.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:49 PM   #7
Flyndaran
Untagged

From falling you almost always hit with some body part first which takes the most damage. Hitting everywhere instantly would change the impact to full body.
I think this would result in the common gaming aspect of generic Hit Point loss.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:56 PM   #8
Culture20

Does the impact still matter (absent organs sloshing around inside)? If so, you might model the fall as a slam versus DR of whatever the ground is, and apply “hurting yourself” damage as if you slammed into a dirt/concrete/steel wall, not unlike punching a knight’s breastplate.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:10 PM   #9
Maz

It's certainly a popular trick in fiction. You very often see telekinetic used like this, less often also magic. And in those situations, it always result in "no harm done at all".

In fact I would probably assume this to be the default in a supers game. Ie. if someone falls, if I have enough TK to levitate them, I could catch them with no harm. The problem would be noticing and reacting quick enough. And having the TK-lifting power to do so. Maybe set up some inverse calculating for how fast you can slow someone down if you only have enough TK to carry them at Extra-Heavy encumbrance. So if you are at Extra-Heavy you slow them down only 20% per sec (so taking 5 sec total). While at "No enc" you can do it instantly. ... just a very rough guide.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:31 PM   #10
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
Does the impact still matter (absent organs sloshing around inside)? If so, you might model the fall as a slam versus DR of whatever the ground is, and apply “hurting yourself” damage as if you slammed into a dirt/concrete/steel wall, not unlike punching a knight’s breastplate.
You have to distinguish two different cases. In one, the upward acceleration is applied evenly over the entire lower surface of the body. In the other, it's applied evenly throughout the entire volume of the body. These have different effects.

In the latter case, the whole body slows down and stops, all at once. Depending on how fast it's going, this may involve an acceleration equivalent to extremely high gravitational force. But it won't cause direct trauma.

But in the former case, the bottom surface stops, and the interior of the body effectively slams into it at high speed. That could cause direct trauma, by compressing the leading surface of the body, as if a shock wave had hit it.

I think the OP was talking about the latter case.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote