Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-23-2016, 12:13 AM   #1
Jaware

Default I need a touch of help with clarity of magic

I once more consult the collective for clarity on something that I see as obscure.

One of my pcs likes magic. I don't much care for it. It's just soooooo complicated. Since all of us are relatively new to the magic mechanics, we see things differently. And sometimes that leads to conflict and confusion and all around bogging the game down so we can look up the rules.

For instance, the fireball spell causes you to conjure a ball of fire in your hand. That I believe is your action.

Then you take an attack roll to throw it's some poor sap. So minimum of 2 turns. It feels balanced considering the damage it has the potential to deal.

Other spells like flame jet, or fire breath (or whatever the name)

Do they cast the turn they are concentrated? Can you attack with the them that turn? I know fire breath you can't persist, but my next question is how does that work in game terms of striking into close combat? The way I read it is like a dragons breath that would work similar to a flamethrower or something. But from what I can pick up from the rules it works just like a projectile.

The same way with the burning hand that ignores armor. I assume concentrate to cast, then brawling or unarmed skill to hit. Because just "4d burn armor doesn't protect" feels kind of dumb and unbalanced.

So can someone dumb it down for us? It'd make my life and the campaign run much smoother.
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:16 AM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: I need a touch of help with clarity of magic

Right. You cast the spell and then next turn you can attack with it or make it bigger (by pumping more energy into it). You can't cast AND attack in the same turn. To do that you need special advantages.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:39 AM   #3
Warlockco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Right. You cast the spell and then next turn you can attack with it or make it bigger (by pumping more energy into it). You can't cast AND attack in the same turn. To do that you need special advantages.
Besides ATR, what other advantages would let you power most missile spells and throw it in the same turn?
Warlockco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:53 AM   #4
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlockco View Post
Besides ATR, what other advantages would let you power most missile spells and throw it in the same turn?
Compartmentalized Mind, optionally with Magic Only as a limitation.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:05 AM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlockco View Post
And a magic-version of Gunslinger. You're welcome. :-) (it's called Spellslinger and is on pg. 14)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:10 AM   #6
corwyn

Quote:
Breathe Fire doesn't work like that, does it? It's a regular spell with a duration of 1 second, can't be maintained. And Flame Jet should work the same since BF says "similar to Flame Jet except...".

Well, at least Jet spells will be clarified/fixed in the DFRPG if the OP can wait 8 months.

Old 09-23-2016, 03:23 AM   #7
corwyn

Quote:
And a magic-version of Gunslinger. You're welcome. :-) (it's called Spellslinger and is on pg. 14)
Cool idea but the penalty is pretty steep. I like the idea of making that option free (as a magic version of Rapid Strike) with Spellslinger cutting the penalty in half.

Old 09-23-2016, 04:27 AM   #8
Warlockco

Quote:
Looks like another item to add to my list...
Warlockco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:19 AM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
Breathe Fire doesn't work like that, does it? It's a regular spell with a duration of 1 second, can't be maintained. And Flame Jet should work the same since BF says "similar to Flame Jet except...".

Well, at least Jet spells will be clarified/fixed in the DFRPG if the OP can wait 8 months.
What's unclear? The spells start in the next second before any other actions, but you attack with them physically on your next action if that's necessary.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:51 AM   #10
Gef

Casting a spell takes your whole turn. You then roll for its success at the beginning of your next turn. This is not your action for turn 2, just the resolution of your action from turn 1. The reason for the delayed resolution is that somebody could attack and spoil your concentration. You may then proceed with your action for turn 2, which could be attacking with the flame jet you cast on turn 1 if it was successful, or it could be aiming a fireball.

Last edited by Gef; 09-23-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, spells