Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 01-16-2019, 11:26 AM   #1
Taneli

Default What counts as a magic weapon?

OK, this came up during Hall of Judgment, Hrogns have DR versus magic weapons, would quarterstaff enchanted with Staff-spell count as a magic weapon?
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:53 AM   #2
MiB1213

Default Re: What counts as a magic weapon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taneli View Post
OK, this came up during Hall of Judgment, Hrogns have DR versus magic weapons, would quarterstaff enchanted with Staff-spell count as a magic weapon?
If it enchanted with a permanent spell than yes. Go to Exploits page 77.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:09 PM   #3
evileeyore
Banned

Most people seem to treat "magical damage"* as any damage from a magical source. So a Flaming sword, Puissance, damaging spells, etc. Accuracy, Staff, and Lighten do not do any damage.

* There is a difference between "vulnerable to magical weapons" and "vulnerable to magical damage".
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:18 PM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiB1213 View Post
If it enchanted with a permanent spell than yes. Go to Exploits page 77.
I'll note, that while this is a perfectly valid opinion, there is some contention over what counts as "magical" for penetrating "magical" defenses.

It means that very inexpensive upgrades (Staff notably*) are an incredibly cheap way to deal with these tougher monsters.

* But Lighten or Deflect on a shield/armor are also fairly inexpensive and become the best 'upgrade' for everyone. Allowing this means delvers on the cheap all start carrying Wizard's Wands to beat down tough monsters early in their careers.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:24 PM   #5
MiB1213

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I'll note, that while this is a perfectly valid opinion, there is some contention over what counts as "magical" for penetrating "magical" defenses.

It means that very inexpensive upgrades (Staff notably*) are an incredibly cheap way to deal with these tougher monsters.

* But Lighten or Deflect on a shield/armor are also fairly inexpensive and become the best 'upgrade' for everyone. Allowing this means delvers on the cheap all start carrying Wizard's Wands to beat down tough monsters early in their careers.
Good point. When I read that I was treating the quarterstaff as the object that would inflict the damage, not the actual magical effect the item is capable of producing.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:00 PM   #6
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

My inclination - though each GM is free to interpret it as they like - is that I'd want the actual hurt to come from a magical damage source. Accuracy, Puissance, and Penetrating weapons? Absolutely. Affects Insubstantial/Spirit Weapon? Definitely. Fireball? Lightning? Crispy critter.

The Staff spell allows the weapon to be treated as "caster" for the purposes of conducting magic, if I'm not mistaken (I might be). I'd be loathe to allow that, as it's like "the weapon is a conductor (staff spell), but what are you conducting (another spell cast through it)." The second thing would be "magical damage," to me, while the first, not.

In short: I'd probably adjudicate based on violent intent.

But what about my magical sword that's just mundane except for it shines light when unsheathed as a permanent enchantment? That's clearly an enchanted sword, but it doesn't do magical damage!

Good question. I'd probably, in accordance with the "violence, please" theory, say no, the sword does mundane damage.

Looking at the Hrogn, it also seems that there's errata in the HP (where did 11 come from? Shouldn't it be 6?) and the Control maximum as well, which should look like 1, 2, 4, 6, 7+
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:56 PM   #7
MiB1213

After reading this I have a question. On pg 118 of Adventuresrs under Other Items it lists the costs of Wizard’s Staff and Wizard’s Wand as costing $40 and $50 respectfully. But now Expoilts pg 9 in the box Magic Staffs it says “...with respect to clerical, Druidic, or wizardrly magic, at the cost of $30 per realm.”
Why the change in price?

Last edited by MiB1213; 01-16-2019 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Typo
MiB1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:37 AM   #8
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiB1213 View Post
After reading this I have a question. On pg 118 of Adventuresrs under Other Items it lists the costs of Wizard’s Staff and Wizard’s Wand as costing $40 and $50 respectfully.
A staff costs $10, a baton costs $20. The enchantment itself costs $30.

So, to buy a Wizard's Staff, your buying a staff ($10) + the enchantment ($30) which costs $40.

Quote:
But now Expoilts pg 9 in the box Magic Staffs it says “...with respect to clerical, Druidic, or wizardrly magic, at the cost of $30 per realm.”
Why the change in price?
Two things:

1 - That's in Spells not Exploits...

2 - "The $30 to make a staff magical ..." The $30 is to make a staff magical. Not to buy a staff.

Last edited by evileeyore; 01-17-2019 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:31 AM   #9
ArchonShiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
The Staff spell allows the weapon to be treated as "caster" for the purposes of conducting magic, if I'm not mistaken (I might be).
That’d be a great way for clerics to cheat repeat casting of healing spells! It only counts as “part of the wizard’s arm”, basically.

As for the question, by RAW I’d say anything permanent affected by no-mana zones. I would not consider Staff spell because the spellcasting is already mana-dependent, so it’s no less an extension of the caster’s arm in a no mana zone. Permanent light spells turn off, so they count. A shield with Lighten counts as well.

Changing that sounds like a reasonable campaign feature, though. “Any enchantment intended to improve inflicting harm” seems like the right amount. Another campaign might say “anything costing $5k+”. Also, druidic and clerical enchanted weapons would usually count in my campaign.

Last edited by ArchonShiva; 01-17-2019 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Answering the question
ArchonShiva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hall of judgement, magic