Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-25-2018, 10:17 AM   #1
Alonsua
Banned

Default Engineer vehicle type

What does vehicle type mean exactly? If I take Engineer (Automobile) would I be able to design motorcycles, or would I need to take Engineer (Motorcycle)?
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 10:33 AM   #2
Donny Brook

Default Re: Engineer vehicle type

Engineering refers you to Mechanic which refers you to Driving, Piloting or Submarine.

Under Driving you will find Automobile and Motorcycle as distinct categories.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 10:45 AM   #3
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Engineering refers you to Mechanic which refers you to Driving, Piloting or Submarine.

Under Driving you will find Automobile and Motorcycle as distinct categories.
The same happens to Engineer (Electronics), doesn´t it? And you can use Engineer (Electronics) to come up with any invention from any of the specializations...
Old 12-25-2018, 01:07 PM   #4
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
The same happens to Engineer (Electronics), doesn´t it? And you can use Engineer (Electronics) to come up with any invention from any of the specializations...
Yes, but there isn't a specialization Engineer (Mechanical), in contrast to (Chemical), (Civil), (Electrical), or (Electronic). Each class of machines is its own specialization.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 01:54 PM   #5
malloyd

Quote:
Actually, it doesn't. Engineering (vehicle) specifies a "broad class" of vehicles and doesn't point you to the vehicle operation skills like Mechanic does.

Personally, I'd lump motorcycles in Engineering (automobile). You could separate them if you wanted, but given that all Engineering specialties are supposed to default to each other at -4, there isn't a lot of room for fine divisions.

I would however apply familiarity penalties - if your prior experience is with automobiles, the first time you work on a motorcycle design project, you take one. Or more than one if major technological differences apply - if you learned on manual control internal combustion cars but want to design a fuel cell drive-by-wire motorcycle, I'm entirely willing to say you roll at -6 for three familiarity penalties on your first model.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:03 PM   #6
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Personally, I'd lump motorcycles in Engineering (automobile). You could separate them if you wanted, but given that all Engineering specialties are supposed to default to each other at -4, there isn't a lot of room for fine divisions.

I would however apply familiarity penalties - if your prior experience is with automobiles, the first time you work on a motorcycle design project, you take one. Or more than one if major technological differences apply - if you learned on manual control internal combustion cars but want to design a fuel cell drive-by-wire motorcycle, I'm entirely willing to say you roll at -6 for three familiarity penalties on your first model.
I think I agree with this. Mechanic says "one specific type of vehicle," but Engineer says "a single, broad class of vehicle." The phrases seem meaningfully different.

Old 12-25-2018, 02:12 PM   #7
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I think I agree with this. Mechanic says "one specific type of vehicle," but Engineer says "a single, broad class of vehicle." The phrases seem meaningfully different.
What should I use if I wanted to engineer a nuclear warhead? Engineer (Explosives)?
Old 12-25-2018, 02:46 PM   #8
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
What should I use if I wanted to engineer a nuclear warhead? Engineer (Explosives)?
I would say you need both Engineer (Explosives) to design the trigger mechanism, and Engineer (Nuclear) for the actual warhead.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:11 AM   #9
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Actually, it doesn't. Engineering (vehicle) specifies a "broad class" of vehicles and doesn't point you to the vehicle operation skills like Mechanic does.

It seems to me that the broad cetegories referred to in the Engineer text are defined by the whole category of things under a vehicle operation skill referred to in the Mechanic text.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:29 AM   #10
whswhs

Quote:
It seems to me that the broad cetegories referred to in the Engineer text are defined by the whole category of things under a vehicle operation skill referred to in the Mechanic text.
That can't be exactly true, because Engineer has different specializations for Ship and Starship, which both fall under the Shiphandling skill.