Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-11-2019, 12:39 AM   #21
Anthony

Default Re: GURPS/Organization CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
Do you think all forms of brainwashing would be illegal, even if it is internal propaganda?
All non-cinematically effective brainwashing will need coercive techniques that would be illegal.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:44 AM   #22
whswhs

Quote:
Do you think all forms of brainwashing would be illegal, even if it is internal propaganda? If so, I will reduce CR to 5.
What GURPS calls Brainwashing (see the skill writeup, or the longer discussion in Back to School) depends on coercive methods that would definitely be illegal. I recommend not using the word for internal propaganda.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:17 AM   #23
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
What GURPS calls Brainwashing (see the skill writeup, or the longer discussion in Back to School) depends on coercive methods that would definitely be illegal. I recommend not using the word for internal propaganda.
What about VR or dream games?
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:30 AM   #24
Icelander

Quote:
Do you think all forms of brainwashing would be illegal, even if it is internal propaganda? If so, I will reduce CR to 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
All non-cinematically effective brainwashing will need coercive techniques that would be illegal.
Yeah, GURPS Propaganda skill and Brainwashing skill are different things.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:39 AM   #25
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Yeah, GURPS Propaganda skill and Brainwashing skill are different things.
Okey then. Dropped to CR5.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:12 AM   #26
Michele

Quote:
Okey then. Dropped to CR5.
The point isn't the game-mechanical CR level, the point is what you do to enforce it.
Suppose your rule is that no meat can be eaten. An employee violates the rule.

Do the security goons give him a beating? Obviously against the law, and if this is not a one-off event that you can unload on those over-eager goons, but standard policy, you're in for a sea of trouble.
Do you fire the employee for eating meat, or reduce his weekly wage for two weeks? You're not violating criminal laws, but you're in for civil and labor-related problems, not to mention the PR issues.
Do you let him know you are very displased, since you love him so much and yet he doesn't seem to worry about disappointing you? That's OK. It's up to you to find (or, to shape) employees for which this is enough of a threat.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:38 AM   #27
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
The point isn't the game-mechanical CR level, the point is what you do to enforce it.

Do the security goons give him a beating? Obviously against the law, and if this is not a one-off event that you can unload on those over-eager goons, but standard policy, you're in for a sea of trouble.
Do you fire the employee for eating meat, or reduce his weekly wage for two weeks? You're not violating criminal laws, but you're in for civil and labor-related problems, not to mention the PR issues.
Do you let him know you are very displased, since you love him so much and yet he doesn't seem to worry about disappointing you? That's OK. It's up to you to find (or, to shape) employees for which this is enough of a threat.
The last option seems good enough.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:42 AM   #28
Ulzgoroth

Where of course "okay" should be understood to mean that you're probably safe from legal consequences. You're still likely to get some really bad press out of it.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:39 AM   #29
Anthony

Quote:
I would note that this depends somewhat on the purpose of the organization. If your business is selling FauxMeat to vegetarians, and you have a company ideology that says that eating real meat is unethical, employees eating meat goes against the core purpose of the organization and thus allows somewhat stronger response than otherwise.
Quote:
Do the security goons give him a beating?
If the behavior is generally illegal, the fact that it's against your policy does not make it legal.
Quote:
Note that what you're firing the employee for does matter, because it might be a suspect classification or proxy for one (for example, rules about eating meat might be a proxy for religious discrimination).
Quote:
Do you let him know you are very displased, since you love him so much and yet he doesn't seem to worry about disappointing you? That's OK.
Maybe. Could easily be hostile work environment.