Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-09-2019, 09:53 AM   #11
whswhs

Default Re: Youthful Appearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
I used to regularly get asked for ID up to my late-twenties. It only stopped when I grew a full beard. IMO it is a 0 point perk. In some situations can be a benefit and in others it can be a hindrance.
A zero point trait is called a Feature, not a Perk.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:01 PM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
I used to regularly get asked for ID up to my late-twenties. It only stopped when I grew a full beard. IMO it is a 0 point perk. In some situations can be a benefit and in others it can be a hindrance.
That purely depends on what ages you are and appear to be.
Looking under 21 but being over is quite different to looking 40 but being 60, for example.

Another thing is how easy is it is to show proper age.

My mom was seriously carded up to the age of 36. But her attitude and presence made it easy to prove her proper age even before they saw her I.D.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:04 PM   #13
Black Leviathan

It would be a strange game world where a younger appearance didn't translate into a higher level of Appearance Advantage, unless you remain looking child-like all of your life.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:27 PM   #14
talonthehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
It would be a strange game world where a younger appearance didn't translate into a higher level of Appearance Advantage, unless you remain looking child-like all of your life.
Not necessarily - some people get hit hard in a bad way by puberty, so looking like a teen for another decade would be a nightmare.
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:44 PM   #15
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
So, I stumbled across a website that was talking about a family of Taiwanese women who looked half their age and wondered how you would represent that in GURPS? Would it be a perk, basically Extended Lifespan 1 (Cosmetic Only, -80%), would it be a real life version of Extended Lifespan 1, or would it just be Longevity? What do you think?
In B21 we find the feature "impressive". It's for "above average" appareance; however, I would say it fits the situation of that small group of people. I think looking younger could make these women more attractive, if compared to others in the same group of age.

From B21: "If you are Attractive or better, you can specify that you have exceptional physical presence that doesn’t manifest as sexual magnetism."
Old 01-10-2019, 05:58 PM   #16
Rupert

Quote:
Not all cultures value(d) youthful appearance as much as modern western culture does, especially for men.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:01 PM   #17
whswhs

In any case, regardless of how many points it's worth (probably 1, 0, or -1), I think it's a form of Passing Appearance.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:11 PM   #18
RyanW

Quote:
Some people age especially well. There are plenty of women who only really started to find Sean Connery attractive after he qualified for a bus pass.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:58 AM   #19
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beer View Post
Zero points by Basic since Appearance reduction is not part of aging. If the GM uses house rules, cosmetic Extended Lifespan sounds good.
Yes it is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic page 444; Aging section
At the GM’s option, you may lose advantages or gain disadvantages of equivalent point value instead of losing an attribute point. For example, your Appearance could decline, or you could gain Hard of Hearing.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:35 AM   #20
Rupert

And so, following that, is Hard of Hearing. Yet we don't consider it necessary to have a perk "Youthful Hearing" for those with good hearing at age 40+. We just don't apply disads that reduce their hearing.

Likewise, with appearance if someone losses it with age, we reduce it, and if they don't, we don't. There's no need for special perks, etc.

Now, looking youthful without looking more or less attractive, might in some situations be worth something. However, in my opinion, any minor advantages will be balanced by minor disadvantages. Today youthful people are often considered more attractive, but at the same time they are also taken less seriously. The small appearance bump is balanced by the small stigma, and it's a +0 feature.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote