Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-13-2018, 12:14 PM   #1
greenpiece

Default Creating fireball from campfire

It's inspired by the fight scene in "Arcana Cabana" shop from the "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" movie.

Balthazar Blake was fighting Maxim Horvath. At one point of the scene Maxim saw the campfire, pulled part of the fire to his hand - and then started to throw fireballs here and there with his hand still burning after throws.

How can this scene be described in GURPS terms?
My approach would be to use Apportation spell to move the fire - and use it instead of roll to create Fireball spell. But what is the spell allowing the caster to burn his hand? It's not the Body of Fire, it's rather the Hand of Fire :)
greenpiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:26 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Creating fireball from campfire

Sounds like a style perk for a style that involves energy transfer or flow.

Fire Fueled Casting*
You've learned to use ordinary fire in your fire spells. If you are within Magery yards of an non-magical flame, you may take a Concentrate manuever to draw on it. As long as you stay in range, your spell costs 1 energy less.

*Must specialize by spell.

The hand thing sounds like a special effect.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 02-13-2018 at 12:30 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:27 PM   #3
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

Standard GURPS Magic?

Fireball spell.

Drawing it from the campfire and having his hand still on fire is merely special effect.

Or maybe he has a limitation that he needs a source of fire before he can cast fire spells.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:29 PM   #4
Blind Mapmaker

I would use a special technique for Shape Fire as the intent for Apportation is clearly moving discrete physical objects. You need a technique since shape fire can't usually move a fire were it can't burn.

Be advised that a regular camp fire would make a lousy fireball inclicting only 1d6-1 burning damage and once you throw it you'll have to grab another part quickly exhausting your camp fire.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:59 PM   #5
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Mapmaker View Post
I would use a special technique for Shape Fire as the intent for Apportation is clearly moving discrete physical objects. You need a technique since shape fire can't usually move a fire were it can't burn.

Be advised that a regular camp fire would make a lousy fireball inclicting only 1d6-1 burning damage and once you throw it you'll have to grab another part quickly exhausting your camp fire.
Also, Shape Fire (even when working with Create Fire which needs no fuel) can move no faster than 5.

However, if you are on a real battlefield and troops in formation are coming towards you the ability to Create Fire and Shape Fire in large quantities becomes relevant. Most troops loaded for battle will have an Encumbrance that brings their Move down below 5 too.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:42 PM   #6
greenpiece

Thank you guys for help with defining this little issue!

To me Fireball spell with Limitation (Only near fire) for fire spells and special effect (Burning hands) appears to be a perfect description.

By the way, what would the point value of such limitation be - applied to a certain group of spells? I mean that limitation usually modifies the cost of some ability, but what is the ability for its application here? Or is it a stand-alone limitation with its own point cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Sounds like a style perk for a style that involves energy transfer or flow.

Fire Fueled Casting*
You've learned to use ordinary fire in your fire spells. If you are within Magery yards of an non-magical flame, you may take a Concentrate manuever to draw on it. As long as you stay in range, your spell costs 1 energy less.

*Must specialize by spell.

The hand thing sounds like a special effect.
Sounds great as well!
greenpiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:08 PM   #7
A Ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpiece View Post
Thank you guys for help with defining this little issue!

To me Fireball spell with Limitation (Only near fire) for fire spells and special effect (Burning hands) appears to be a perfect description.

By the way, what would the point value of such limitation be - applied to a certain group of spells? I mean that limitation usually modifies the cost of some ability, but what is the ability for its application here? Or is it a stand-alone limitation with its own point cost?
Only while playing trumpet is -20%. So I figure only with a fire nearby is similar.
So I would do Magery (One College: Fire -40%; Only with fire nearby -20%) [4/level]. Then all your fire spells need to be near fire to even be cast, but otherwise the rules are the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Gotta be fast to escape the propaganda machine of Viking swiftness
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:11 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Ladder View Post
Only while playing trumpet is -20%. So I figure only with a fire nearby is similar.
So I would do Magery (One College: Fire -40%; Only with fire nearby -20%) [4/level]. Then all your fire spells need to be near fire to even be cast, but otherwise the rules are the same.
Seek Fire becomes nearly useless and Ignite Fire, mostly so.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:16 PM   #9
A Ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Seek Fire becomes nearly useless and Ignite Fire, mostly so.
Yep. I didn't even bother to think the limitation through, but how do you apply a limitation to a single skill?
I suggest giving those special circumstances (Seek Fire, Ignite Fire, whatever else you think) the need to have sulfur nearby instead, but YMMV.

Or

You can just give yourself the follow disadvantage: [-5?] Can't cast some fire spells, such as fireball, without fires nearby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Gotta be fast to escape the propaganda machine of Viking swiftness

Last edited by A Ladder; 02-14-2018 at 04:23 PM.
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:23 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

If that's just how magic works in the setting then it's not worth any points.

Although it probably actually is a magic system fueled by Nicolas Cage's personal debt...