Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 12-08-2021, 07:38 AM   #1
phiwum

Default Cursed weapons

Cursed and otherwise detrimental magic items are usually unremoveable. The description for the Curse enchantment, for instance, says:

Quote:
Curse: Item operates as per Curse spell, and will not come
off once picked up/put on; nor can it be destroyed save
by lightning, volcanic fire, or similar catastrophe.
Now, for weapons, it would be a bit much to say that one can't put down or sheathe the cursed thing once picked up, of course. I'm figuring that the curse allows one to sheathe the weapon but not to remove the weapon or sheath, which makes for fitful sleep perhaps, but at least you have both hands free. I also reckon that the cursed weapon is the only weapon one may draw.

Now, in the case of the literal Curse enchantment, I'd reckon that the curse acts whenever the weapon is on one's person. For other things (like a sword with Clumsiness on it, say), I might allow that the effect requires wielding the weapon so that it affects one in battle but not otherwise.

All of these thoughts raise additional questions however. Suppose a mage picks up a cursed two-handed sword, just to stow it for later investigation. Is she stuck carrying the darn thing until she finds a Remove Cursed Object or Dissolve Enchantment spell (both of which are IQ 17 and so quite rare in my world)? Did she just lose the use of her staff (unless it was a little wand or something)?

Has anyone played with cursed weapons? How'd you settle these issues?

Thanks.
phiwum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:19 AM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Cursed weapons

The inability to remove cursed objects always felt a little meta and like "that other less-rational game" to me, and so it was one of the things that I and the people I've played with have only rarely used. It prompted several questions from players, even without having ever encountered one.

When they did exist, we played them as written, though it meant having to answer those questions, and also consider in what way they manage to do what they do.

Fortunately, the curse enchantment is somewhat difficult to make, so there's already a rational reason they don't exist much, which is that wizards with the resources to do that enchanting, would probably almost always prefer to enchant something other than a gotcha sword to inconvenience people who pick up swords. It can be a good way to catch some types of thieves, though.

Given that it is that much of an enchantment, and what other enchantments can do, I don't think it's all that much of a stretch that it's possible to make an item that resists normal breaking attempts, and that either sticks very very strongly to your hand, or is akin to a geas not to let go of it. In either case, yes it's a bit much but yes that's what this annoying enchantment does, if/when someone actually made such a thing. If a reasonable GM has determined someone did enchant that and it's there in the game, that's what it does.

The penalties it causes could soon be from interrupted sleep and other fatigue and suffering, not just the magic curse effect. ;-)

And yes, I think having a large object in hand (cursed or not) would tend to impair the ability to use a staff.

Fortunately, they are rare.

Of course, a GM who doesn't like how they work can either not have them known at all, or modify how the version known in their campaign works.

Personally, I think being able to sheathe it, but not being able to use any other weapon, feels to me like more of a stretch, unless you think of it as a kind of geas. But then it's also an enchanted item that violates the usual pattern that in order for an enchanted item to affect someone, they need to be holding or wearing it. Or the geas would only work once, like an actual Geas enchantment.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:29 AM   #3
Shostak

I've not used a cursed weapon in a looong time. When I did, the curse did not activate until the weapon was readied and remained active until the weapon was stowed. It gave its user an unknown DX penalty while making them think that the weapon bit more deeply on each blow and that they scored a hit even when they didn't. The player never did figure out that their character had a cursed weapon.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:14 PM   #4
phiwum

Thanks, guys.

Skarg's right that such cursed objects should be quite rare. Sadly, that makes them that much more dangerous, since players won't think twice about picking up a weapon.

I like the idea of using something curse-like on a weapon, but it's tricky to make it a nice and annoying trick but not a character-ruining event.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:55 PM   #5
hcobb

Would bound spirit blades have some curse like functions?
Old 12-13-2021, 12:12 AM   #6
JimmyPlenty

Since magic in Cidri is heavily psychic, to have the curse only activate upon use. And I don't mean slicing bread, I mean with some intent mixed with emotion such as a normal attack. Only then would i become "stuck" with the user.

Also, a nice trick is to make the benefits of the cursed item tempting to keep to the player. (+2 to-hit and damage, but you cannot fight women with it for example.)
JimmyPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 08:13 AM   #7
phiwum

I like your suggestion, Jimmy, that picking up a cursed weapon does not activate the curse, but using it in battle does. I presume that once activated, it remains activated after battle.

Of course, tempting a player with a cursed item by giving it a bonus is a good plan. A curse under a concealment spell works well for this. So would making it a fine weapon, which any armourer can spot.