Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-16-2020, 04:12 PM   #1
Refplace

Default Virtual Table Top for GURPS

So Mook just poste a grea6t video for Foundry VTT here.
I decided to update some info on my site an adding a VTT for GURPS page.
Please share any links or information you think will be helpful to people in using whatever VTT platform you like.
I'll add them to the page so we have the info in as many places a possible.
I'm happy to link to youtube videos, blogs, company sites, anything safe for work related to the topic. Other topic suggestions or requests of course are always welcome.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:41 PM   #2
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Re: Virtual Table Top for GURPS

Well, with a Hero Forge subscription, you can create tokens for VTTs from the characters you create, or even buy them as Unity Asset Bundles for my preferred VTT: Tabletop Simulator.

There's this amazing collection of minis for TTS, for D&D
I took the D&D stuff off of this table and use it for my games
This hud overlay works well for mooks and the like
This "lie down" tool is also incredibly useful
And the Black Hole trashcan, which just deletes things put into it, gift from the FSM
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 09:02 PM   #3
seycyrus

the guys over at Fantasy Grounds just "announced" that their dynamic LOS will be released in the January time frame.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-Carl-and-John
seycyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 02:12 PM   #4
OldSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
So Mook just poste a grea6t video for Foundry VTT here.
I decided to update some info on my site an adding a VTT for GURPS page.
Many thanks for that! :)
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 05:30 PM   #5
Anaraxes

Our group's been using Foundry for some games other than GURPS. As with any VTT, it really comes down to how well the coding for any particular game system is done, and even the D&D/Pathfinder stuff still has its rough gaps and edges. But it looks like a good base for development. My biggest gripe is that I couldn't find any documentation on the existing code.

(Makes it hard to write your own macros or modules if you can't even, say, look up what someone decided to name the attributes on a character sheet. Development thus starts with a lot of reverse engineering.)

Last edited by Anaraxes; 12-19-2020 at 04:54 AM.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 05:54 PM   #6
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

That's one of the reasons I don't use the "traditional" VTTs, they're more in my way than they help.

With Tabletop Simulator and Discord, we're playing like we would around a table, just with our minis and stuff in Virtual space.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:01 AM   #7
Magic_Octopus

Does anyone know what is the obstacle in the way of official GURPS support for a virtual tabletop? This game system would benefit a lot from official support, and the pandemic is surely a golden opportunity to increase popularity of the game.
Magic_Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:59 AM   #8
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Octopus View Post
Does anyone know what is the obstacle in the way of official GURPS support for a virtual tabletop? This game system would benefit a lot from official support, and the pandemic is surely a golden opportunity to increase popularity of the game.
I dont recall ever seeing an official answer. I think from looking at several examples though, you have to sell your product on their store. That is a revenue stream for them since they will take a cut of the revenue from such sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Money and time, I expect. SJG doesn't want to open the gates to non-licensed products, there's significant overhead to negotiating a license (and subsequent things such as approval), and GURPS isn't D&D so there isn't enough money chasing the problem to overcome the obstacles.
Yeah that is an excellent point too. Outsiders tend to overlook internal costs and think this is all easy and cost free but its not. Contracts need to be reviewed by lawyers and staff, negotiating and reading terms takes time which costs real money.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 02-26-2021 at 11:59 AM.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:48 AM   #9
Anthony

Quote:
Money and time, I expect. SJG doesn't want to open the gates to non-licensed products, there's significant overhead to negotiating a license (and subsequent things such as approval), and GURPS isn't D&D so there isn't enough money chasing the problem to overcome the obstacles.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:34 AM   #10
nick_coffin

Quote:
SJGs wants to be reassured that VTTs don't reduce any revenue they would have made otherwise. So they are leery of anything that could be used to replace PDFs and physical books.
nick_coffin is offline   Reply With Quote