Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-01-2012, 02:09 AM   #21
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: GURPS Power-Ups 4: Enhancements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_seeker View Post
That's not what he said in the movie I've watched so many times in the past 30 years or so that I've lost count... <laugh>
It could just be errata. It can't hurt to submit it.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:20 AM   #22
the_seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
It could just be errata. It can't hurt to submit it.
FWIW, the original quote from the film is...

"Behold! The Sword of Power! Excalibur! Forged when the world was young, and bird and beast and flower were one with man, and death was but a dream!"

...but I'll hold off on clogging up the errata pipeline with something this trivial, today's date notwithstanding. :)

Tim Harris
The Seeker
Time Lord

Saving the universe one planet at a time. Occasionally from my own mistakes. Oops.
the_seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:23 AM   #23
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_seeker View Post
"Behold! The Sword of Power! Excalibur! Forged when the world was young, and bird and beast and flower were one with man, and death was but a dream!"
You know, I always want to ask him why the gods forged a sword when death was but a dream...
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:29 AM   #24
the_seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
You know, I always want to ask him why the gods forged a sword when death was but a dream...
There are many in real life who believe the dreams of gods are the realities of men, and Moorcock occasionally hints in his Eternal Champion Cycle that in at least some of the Million Spheres, this is in fact the case. Of course, in most of the Million Spheres, it is certainly the case that the gods are themselves the dreams of humanity come to life and run wild. But if you haven't read the Cycle, I won't spoil it for you with details. I'll just say you might enjoy The Quest for Tanelorn very much. :)

Tim Harris
The Seeker
Time Lord

Saving the universe one planet at a time. Occasionally from my own mistakes. Oops.
the_seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:20 AM   #25
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Wonderful book, makes some top secret things I was planning much easier, but it also means that I'll need to redo all the numbers.

Minor nitpick: I would have LOVED to have all general enhancements from all published books in there (Aura, for example, is missing). As it is now, I still need to check many books when building abilities.

Second nitpick: Damn, I also need Limitations. Many concepts ask for Backlash and Aftermath, but they're relatively obscure if you don't know what you're looking for (Backlash is found under temporary disadvantage in Powers, while Aftermath is in Biotech)

Third nitpick: And I also want the specific enhancements and limitations!

Seriously, I would pay a subscription fee for a searchable trait database, with all traits, with all modifiers. Hell, an index with all traits listed, and all specific modifiers, listing page references.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:46 AM   #26
Blind Mapmaker

I really agree with Kuroshima. Neat book with a very reasonable price, but darned if I don't miss limitations and all the other enhancements. I really need to buy the PDF of Campaigns if I get some spending money.

I hope a hypothetical Power-Ups 6 will solve the limitation problem, though. If it doesn't, that would be a good reason to publish a pdf compendium for the 10th anniversary of 4th edition.
Blind Mapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:08 AM   #27
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Mapmaker View Post
I really agree with Kuroshima. Neat book with a very reasonable price, but darned if I don't miss limitations and all the other enhancements. I really need to buy the PDF of Campaigns if I get some spending money.

I hope a hypothetical Power-Ups 6 will solve the limitation problem, though. If it doesn't, that would be a good reason to publish a pdf compendium for the 10th anniversary of 4th edition.
Hey, that sounds neat! GURPS 4th edition Basic Set: Characters, 10th anniversary special edition! with all traits ever published for GURPS 4th edition! Comes in two volumes, Volume 1: Advantages, Perks and Modifiers. Volume 2: the rest. I would buy that...
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #28
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Minor nitpick: I would have LOVED to have all general enhancements from all published books in there (Aura, for example, is missing). As it is now, I still need to check many books when building abilities.

Third nitpick: And I also want the specific enhancements and limitations!
I also would have liked both these. at least in the appendix so its easier to find them. RPK replied to my comment on such why it wasnt done and offered a glimmer of hope that if demand seemed high enough it might get done in a later book. It is at 185 downloads and 2nd place for top of this year. Interesting what is in first place, had not expected that but that shows promise for something else.
Either way we need an index or PDF like spellcards and skills for enhancements and limitations. Including specific ones. Too easy to forget things when they are scattered across so many sources.
Just an index would make me ecstatic, not asking to repeat all enhancements from everything for content just the name, % and where.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #29
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
(. . .) Comes in two volumes, Volume 1: Advantages, Perks and Modifiers. Volume 2: the rest. I would buy that...
Me too.

Or a fourth edition "compendium" gathering the rules published after the release of the Basic Set.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #30
Refplace

I will buck the trend here and say no to a Compendium.
An Index I support and desire because it helps people find things and may increase sales.
A compendium however would take away sales from crunch books and be very bulky and for most people have a lot of extra stuff they dont want. I doubt it would sell really well, unless it had new material.
I like grabbing the genre type books that I have an interest in and I like having them available for reference.
Especially with the PDF system which means I do not have to worry about dragging a lot of books around. I bought the Compendiums even though I already had all the GURPS books out there because it was more handy to lug them around then my complete library. The electronic format has changed that.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enhancements, power-up