Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #1
Seraphim

Default Restructuring RPM for the Cabal

Hi everybody!

I've been in the process of starting up a new campaign set in the Cabal universe, probably taking place in the Cliffhangers era. My players want a world where all sorts of crazy things are around, mummies in Egypt, Taoist elemental mages, werewolves, vampires, oh my! I figured the Cabal setting would give us what we need.

I'd like to use Ritual Path Magic, taking the Hermetic magic a la Carte suggestion from Cabal. At least one of my players is pretty well versed in real world Hermetic writings, so this should be fun.

However, my first stumbling block is this: I don't think the current Paths align well with Hermetic metaphysics. At least, not all of them. The two main culprits would be Undead and Spirit, followed by Energy and Matter (they feel maybe too "modern" for Hermetic thought?). I thought about trying to arrange the Paths according to the Decans, but 36 Paths? That's too much. Maybe according to the Zodiac? What would they be in this case?

What do you all think? Would you restructure the Path system for a Cabal game? What outside sources might be helpful? I've glanced over Ars Magica's system, but haven't had the chance to really dig into it to see if it's helpful or not.

Thanks!
Seraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:18 PM   #2
Diomedes

Default Re: Restructuring RPM for the Cabal

You might want to look into Pyramid #58, which has an article on Monster Hunters and the Cabal. It's mainly about integrating the Cabal into the setting, but the last half is about how the Cabal would use RPM with the Hermetic decans and the laws of magic.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #3
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post
You might want to look into Pyramid #58, which has an article on Monster Hunters and the Cabal. It's mainly about integrating the Cabal into the setting, but the last half is about how the Cabal would use RPM with the Hermetic decans and the laws of magic.
Good read, I had skipped it as the Cabal is not suited for most of my campaigns where magic is open.
I have created a Illuminated magic system I hope to submit when and if an appropriate issue comes up though and it would be good ot reference this in there for some potential combination.
If the author does not have it (and after reading it I recomend it for the stated campaign) the normal modiefers for Thaumatology or even Deconic modifers for energy discounts in the RPM book will work
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:54 PM   #4
dataweaver

I wouldn’t rearrange the Paths; their alignment (rough as it is) to the Sephirah of Kaballah seems perfectly fine for a Cabal campaign. I might play around with the dividing line between Lesser and Greater, though (a.k.a. “Effects that are good fits for the setting” and “Effects that are technically possible, but that we want to discourage without flat-out banning them”).

Note that Ritual Path Magic has an extensive section on using Decanic symbolism to provide a discount on energy costs.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:57 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post
Yeah, W. A. Frick did a great job - I'd use what he already laid out.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:29 PM   #6
PK

I hate to echo, but I'd recommend getting around the "Path name flavor" issue by using the Sephirotic names -- not only do they avoid any modern connotations, but (A) they add a ton of flavor and (B) they tie directly into the Cabal's fervent belief in decanic hermeticism.

I definitely had the Cabal in mind when I created RPM. That's why -- although I did the GURPSy thing of giving the Paths boring-but-clear-as-day primary names -- I made sure to back those up with traditional Cabalistic secondary ones.

(And Frick's article "Hunting the Cabal," from Pyramid #3/58: Urban Fantasy II, should be considered mandatory reading here.)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabal, gurps 4e, ritual path magic, rpm