Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
Hohenstadt

Default New to Ogre, advice plz.

I know, where have I been and what was I thinking all these years....

That out of the way, I need some advice on possibly buying my 1st Ogre game, the one on Kickstarter.

My gaming taste are Board War Gaming from historical to fantasy to scifi. I don't like Warhammer or those type of games. I do like tactical and strategy type war games.

Based on what I have researched, it looks like a game I would enjoy but I cannot invest a lot of money on future purchases if this is the kind of game that requires it.

My main question is If I get the new release scheduled for Nov 2012, will that give plenty of gaming fun for years to come without having to get any additional stuff?

Thanks for any input or comments.
Hohenstadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: New to Ogre, advice plz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenstadt View Post
My gaming taste are Board War Gaming from historical to fantasy to scifi. I don't like Warhammer or those type of games. I do like tactical and strategy type war games.
I guess it really depends on whether you absolutely need a sophisticated reaction movement/fire or simultaneous action rule. Ogre is a pretty simple I go, You go system. If that's why you don't like Warhammer then you won't like Ogre much either.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
ScarecrowKing

What comes in the box is 5 different maps (4 of which are geomorphic), a butt load of terrain overlays, and a metric ton (approximately) of models/counters. There is enough stuff in there to keep doing different things for a very, very long time. As well as the basic OGRE vs. Armor scenario, you can do games with no OGREs at all, just armor and infantry on both sides. Also, AFAIK, there will be a set of counters in the box in a third color (green!), plus 9 sheets of counters that separate individuals will be selling. There is one supplement guaranteed, but that won't be out until at least next year.

Taking into account how much stuff is in that 15 lb. box, you shouldn't start to get bored until sometime in 2088.

-Brian
ScarecrowKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
Atomic Kennedy

I think Ogre's beauty is in its flexibility. It's easy to cook up new scenarios because the mechanics are so straightforward, but without being TOO straightforward. And there is going to be a WHOLE lot of stuff in the box so I think you'll be in very good shape gamewise. It won't be like Battletech or somesuch, which, though I do love Battletech, suffers from the "Sorry, but the ruleset you want is in another product" problem. Ogre seems to me to be pretty self-contained; I've been playing with my pocket box editions for twenty-five years and have yet to get sick of it.

--M
Atomic Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
Hohenstadt

Is there place to pre-order Ogre?
Old 08-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenstadt View Post
Is there place to pre-order Ogre?
Some retailers are taking pre-orders. To make that process easier, SJG created a pre-order form that you can take to your local game store (always the best way to get a game, IMO). ETA: The pre-order form was for the Kickstarter and is no longer valid. It may still be useful as a starting point for talking to your local game store, so I'll leave the link here. Sorry about the run-around, Hohenstadt.

A quick search on Google for the following terms turned up a number of places taking pre-orders (and the link above): ogre designer's edition pre order (the link is to the first page of the results of that search).

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?

Last edited by Buzzardo; 08-24-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:09 PM   #7
Hohenstadt

Thanks all for the input.

Tags
advice, ogre, ogre 6e, ogre/gev