Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-21-2015, 05:35 PM   #1
soulnafein

Default [Spaceships] Long range weapons vs close range weapons

Last night our group have finally experimented with space combat in our GURPS Traveller game.

The player's spaceships is a SM+7 equipped with long range lasers (S).
The enemy was a smaller ship SM+5 equipped with plasma beams (C).
Both have reactionless thrusters 2G in total

The enemy movement would typically be Closing while the players were happy staying neutrals and keeping distance.

What would happened if the player had a long range weapon? (L).

In that case I would have used a Standard Scale encounter. The only manoeuvre that can get the enemy ship in shooting range is Closing but succeeding by 10+ (Collision course).

Is there something I'm missing? Are you screwed if the enemy have weapons with range 2 levels higher than yours?
soulnafein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 05:41 PM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: [Spaceships] Long range weapons vs close range weapons

Unless you have an incredible speed advantage? Yes. Your options are to run away, or be slagged as they stay out of your weapons range.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:43 PM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Unless you have an incredible speed advantage? Yes. Your options are to run away, or be slagged as they stay out of your weapons range.
Or armor that will let you ignore the long rage weapon.

Most of my trial combats during the playtest were with the tactical hex system where it's even more obvious. Rolling a 3 on a Pilot roll won't somehow let you violate the laws of physics there.

Still, it's a basic goal in any sort of combat. defeating your enemy while he's as far away as possible is always good.

In other Traveller combat systems the results would probably the same. Plasma weapons are usually mounted for anti-missile purposes or atmospheric battle or something like that. Perhaps fpr attacking enemies who must stand and fight rather than try and ru away. Their range is just too limited for general combat v. ships in free space.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:47 AM   #4
soulnafein

Short and sweet.

Any recommendations for interesting space combat scenario to use with my players? They have a scout ship SM+7, with dDR 7 and they have a Medium Laser Turrets that does 3d damage and has 200.
soulnafein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:25 AM   #5
Phantasm

Has 200 what? o.O

Anyway, for against a scout ship with laser turrets, I highly recommend pirates in fast SM +4/+5 ships and a single larger ship of SM +6/+7 size as a command/coordination/jamming ship, potentially for pulling in any salvage the smaller ships might leave when the pirates' target goes boom.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote