Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-26-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
Kraken

Default Potential Advantage (Heir)

Hi all,

I am trying to get my head around how to interpret the Potential Advantages from p. B33. Specifically I am looking at how this works with Wealth.

I am building a young nobleman character in a TL4 setting. His father is a Very Wealthy (30 points) minor lor with Status 3 (10 points + 1 free level for wealth), so the total point cost for the father is 40 and he starts with Status 3, very wealthy and a starting wealth of $40,000. Fine so far.

The son is heir to these same benefits, so he pays 20 character points for Status 2 (Heir) and Very Wealthy (Heir). According to p.B33 he receives half the benefit, so - he gets Status 1 (half of Status 2) and he has starting wealth of $20,000 (half $40,000 he should have if he paid the full benefit). Is this right so far?

Where I get unstuck is on two points:

1) What is his wealth level? Is it Very Wealthy, but with reduced starting cash, Wealthy as the next step down, or comfotable? The point cost of Very Wealthy (Heir) of 15 falls between COmfortable and Wealthy, so I'm not quite sure how to define his wealth level. Specifically this is in relation to his job. Should he be able to begin with a Very Wealthy job, a Wealthy job or a Comfotable job.

2) Does he get the +1 Status for wealth level that his father does? In other words is he Status 1 from half the Status purchase, or Status 2?

Thanks for any help you can provide on clearing this up.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:17 AM   #2
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: Potential Advantage (Heir)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
Hi all,
Hey.

Quote:
I am trying to get my head around how to interpret the Potential Advantages from p. B33. Specifically I am looking at how this works with Wealth.

I am building a young nobleman character in a TL4 setting. His father is a Very Wealthy (30 points) minor lor with Status 3 (10 points + 1 free level for wealth), so the total point cost for the father is 40 and he starts with Status 3, very wealthy and a starting wealth of $40,000. Fine so far.

The son is heir to these same benefits, so he pays 20 character points for Status 2 (Heir) and Very Wealthy (Heir). According to p.B33 he receives half the benefit, so - he gets Status 1 (half of Status 2) and he has starting wealth of $20,000 (half $40,000 he should have if he paid the full benefit). Is this right so far?
Looks fine to me.

Quote:

1) What is his wealth level? Is it Very Wealthy, but with reduced starting cash, Wealthy as the next step down, or comfotable? The point cost of Very Wealthy (Heir) of 15 falls between COmfortable and Wealthy, so I'm not quite sure how to define his wealth level. Specifically this is in relation to his job. Should he be able to begin with a Very Wealthy job, a Wealthy job or a Comfotable job.
I'd round it down to Comfortable, and give him something else money-related like Independent Income x5 (Cash allowance, control over a small piece of profitable low-maintenance real estate, whatever) to make up the difference. When he comes into his full Wealth, he has to do the actual work himself and loses it.

Quote:
2) Does he get the +1 Status for wealth level that his father does? In other words is he Status 1 from half the Status purchase, or Status 2?
I'd give him half of what his father paid for now, and the free +1 for being Very Wealthy after he gets the inheritance. The vast majority of (not-fabulously) rich kids that I've known have lacked both the means and the interest to maintain a lifestyle higher (or lower) than what you get with Status 1 - A nice place, good clothes, transportation, etc, but not servants and such.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:53 AM   #3
SCAR

Default Re: Potential Advantage (Heir)

Quote:
Actually he gets $21,000 - if you read the example on p33, an heir to Comfortable Wealth (x2) gets a 50% bonus to Starting Wealth, not Half of the Final Wealth for Comfortable (x2) - which would be just the Starting Wealth (x1)!
Since Very Wealthy is x20 (or an extra x19 above Starting Wealth), he gets Starting Wealth $2000 plus (x9.5 bonus) $19000 = $21000

Quote:

Thanks for any help you can provide on clearing this up.
I think you technically have just Average Wealth; All of your money comes from being an Heir [15] not from any particular Wealth category.

This does seem odd, but I can't see how else it should work. The description of Heir does not imply 'fixing' the point balance by adjusting for the nearest intermediate level and some independent income to balance the points.
If you want extra money you have to go and ask your father!

As for relative wealth and Jobs, hmm - not sure.

That said, I don't think it would be unreasonable to equate the relative points in wealth to 'Comfortable' plus Independent Income - but I don't think that is the intent of the 'Heir' potential advantage.

You get Status 1, and since you are not 'Wealthy' or better, not bonus (untill you inherit).

The next question would be how to equate a personal Wealth of 'Comfortable' [10] and Heir (Status 2 + Very Wealthy) ! if you wanted your own personal wealth beyond what you stand to inherit.
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote