Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-13-2020, 03:47 PM   #11
Anders

Default Re: Spell Prerequisite question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Taboo Trait (cannot learn non-racial spells) [0].
That rules them out as learning other magic, though. I really think an Accessibility limitation is the way to go here, and if the rules say you can't, you change the rules.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:02 PM   #12
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
That rules them out as learning other magic, though.
That was the point? If you are fine with them learning other magic, just don't put a limit on magery 0 and the ones who don't learn other magic just don't put any points in other spells.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:15 PM   #13
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
This is one place I think the rules are wrong.
Not wrong per say but a fragmented mess as things are broken up between the Basic Set and GURPS Thaumatology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Either:

A: applying a limitation to Magery 1+ means you can't cast spells except within the grounds of the limitation, which means there is no way to build a mage who can cast any spell but only gets +1 with Fire spells (or while dancing, etc.), and buying Magery 1 with a limitation can be a big loss of ability.

B: applying a limitation to Magery 1+ does not prevent you from casting spells outside the grounds of the limitation, which means there is no way to make a mage that can only cast Fire spells (or while dancing, etc.).

And in either event, there is no way to make a mage that can only cast Fire spells without also giving him Magery 1+.
Actually, as I pointed out there is the split magery option (GURPS Thaumatology)

Magery 0 [5] + Magery 1+ (-40% Accessibility limitation) [6] or [11], [17], and [24]

To work as the Basic set wants it should be Magery (-40% Accessibility limitation) or [3], [9], [15], and [21] for Racial Limited Magery 0, 1, 2, and 3 respectively. Unless you want every member of that race being a Mage able to learn and cast every spell not requiring magery 1+ in the game world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
That was the point? If you are fine with them learning other magic, just don't put a limit on magery 0 and the ones who don't learn other magic just don't put any points in other spells.
As is shown by Magic in Worldbuilding there are a lot of Magery 0 spells that can play total havoc with the Equivalent TL and/or cultures of a game world.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.

Last edited by maximara; 03-14-2020 at 06:22 PM.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:52 PM   #14
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post

As is shown by Magic in Worldbuilding there are a lot of Magery 0 spells that can play total havoc with the Equivalent TL and/or cultures of a game world.
If, that is, everyone's fine with demons being an endemic problem.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 07:48 PM   #15
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
If, that is, everyone's fine with demons being an endemic problem.
Alternatively, a GM may have a Routine Spellcasting houserule that includes demons not being summoned if you aren't casting under stress.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 08:43 PM   #16
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Alternatively, a GM may have a Routine Spellcasting houserule that includes demons not being summoned if you aren't casting under stress.
Sure but then you're deliberately rigging things so you'll have an industrial revolution fueled by magic.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:11 PM   #17
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
Which comes from GURPS Thaumatology. I had to go looking for it.
Actually it comes from GURPS Fantasy as part of the Fixed Magic replacement from Knacks, it was reprinted in GURPS Thaumatology..
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 04:20 AM   #18
maximara
On Notice

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Sure but then you're deliberately rigging things so you'll have an industrial revolution fueled by magic.
You don't need a special houserule; just apply the Task Difficulty Modifier rules from the basic set to spells.

In fact, it could be argued that is the reason Marlin-1's United States isn't filled to the brim with Demons. Similarly Merlin-3 is in much the same boat and there is nothing to show Europe under the Third Reich is a demon infested nightmare...of course with the Third Reich running things for certain peoples a demon infested nightmare might be an improvement. ;-)

Moreover, thanks to GURPS Thaumatology there are the Stable Casting enhancement (+40%) and Stabilizing Skill perk options.

As I said before magic is kind of a fragmented mess as we have options for it scattered across several books.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.

Last edited by maximara; 03-15-2020 at 04:45 AM.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 05:52 PM   #19
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
You don't need a special houserule; just apply the Task Difficulty Modifier rules from the basic set to spells.
I called it a houserule because some people get up in arms about it if someone says to apply that to spellcasting.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:58 PM   #20
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
I called it a houserule because some people get up in arms about it if someone says to apply that to spellcasting.
Dispute Kromm pointing that spell do follow the rules for skills
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fixed magic