Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-10-2017, 10:40 AM   #1
muduri

Default extra effort in combat as a skill

One more idea that's just started rolling around in my head. If I remember, there are Dungeon Fantasy advantages that allow say fighters to always Move And Attack. What if each of the Extra Effort in Combat techniques were a Will/Avg skill instead? Perhaps available only with TBAM?

I'd be willing to spend a point to bring my fighter's Heroic Charge or my cleric's Feverish Defense up from default - or eight points on the assassin's Mighty Blow. And conversely it might help the players guess which opponents would be using Extra Effort against them.
muduri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:49 AM   #2
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: extra effort in combat as a skill

...What are you actually proposing here? Extra Effort in Combat doesn't involve rolling anything, so it's not clear what you're proposing a technique would do.

You seem to be talking about the 'Run and Hit' power-up, which is based mainly on the Martial Arts 'Designing Cinematic Techniques' rules. It actually has nothing to do with Heroic Charge, technically.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:04 AM   #3
muduri

Huh, you're right... why am I remembering Extra Effort in Combat as requiring a Will roll? Is that just a house rule enshrined so long that I forgot it was homebrew, or does it come up somewhere published as optional? Thanks for pointing that out.
muduri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:16 AM   #4
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by muduri View Post
Huh, you're right... why am I remembering Extra Effort in Combat as requiring a Will roll?
You may be remembering the more general rules for Extra Effort to boost things like your basic stats, which do require a Will roll (see "Extra Effort", pp. B356-357). Note that those rules already have an option to substitute a skill roll for a straight-up Will roll - you just use Will as the default attribute instead of whatever it normally defaults to. So if you want to push your speed, you make a Will-based Running roll, or a Will-based Jumping roll to jump further, and so on.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:11 PM   #5
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by muduri View Post
One more idea that's just started rolling around in my head. If I remember, there are Dungeon Fantasy advantages that allow say fighters to always Move And Attack.
It does? Where would I find that? The only thing I've seen like that is in Martial Arts - a technique based on all the downsides of MaA and assigning a penalty to get rid of them.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:15 PM   #6
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
It does? Where would I find that? The only thing I've seen like that is in Martial Arts - a technique based on all the downsides of MaA and assigning a penalty to get rid of them.
It's the same thing, just bundled up as a power-up. In DF11, p12.