Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 10-17-2022, 10:50 AM   #281
TGLS

Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
"It is life and death. Without this, we can't talk to Paldrian, which means he send someone to come get us. Which means we'll starve, be eaten by beasts, or captured by Hawkin if we can't find out way back to an outpost."
Uh oh. Wait... Reslin wasn't sure he knew the way back to the hole. They don't know how to get back to Bumundo. This is really, really bad.

Maybe I'll get to see them in captivity too.

Quote:
Togar: "'[]'* is a prayer. You say it when you find something. Its a little... old."
*its a short phrase, not a word. Something like 10 syllables long.
"So people are more religious where you're from?"

Quote:
Reslin: "<> is what you call someone who is cared for by servants and has never been out of a city. Soft. Too much money. Too much comfort. Too little courage."
(this word is likely to be translated 'posh' going forward.)
I guess he thought the fact I thought that someone was around was really soft then.

Quote:
That's successful... how many of them out of the total?
Ideally all of them, but I figure that would be too easily noticed, so probably less than that.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 09:14 AM   #282
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
"So people are more religious where you're from?"
Reslin: "No, we just remember to give thanks when aided. You're not one of those [atheist, heathen, something like that] who don't pay attention to the divine?"

Quote:
I guess he thought the fact I thought that someone was around was really soft then.
I'm not sure what you're saying.

Quote:
Ideally all of them, but I figure that would be too easily noticed, so probably less than that.
I mean, he could just drop the whole pouch...

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 08:30 PM   #283
TGLS

Quote:
Reslin: "No, we just remember to give thanks when aided. You're not one of those [atheist, heathen, something like that] who don't pay attention to the divine?"
I pause. "No, I don't. Maybe I should have. Maybe then 'it gets worse' wouldn't be the running theme of my life."

Quote:
I mean, he could just drop the whole pouch...
I thought that might be noisier, but considering the individual jangling of coins as opposed to the jangling of a pouch hitting the ground, that's probably the better move...

I decide to drop the whole pouch.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're saying.
Well '<>' is from here:
Quote:
After Reslin gets up, he looks at the kid. "That was <>, you know?"
With 'That' meaning: 'jumping out the hole and calling for help', I don't quite see how 'posh' would fit. So I guess the meaning there would be closer to 'soft'? Or perhaps, 'overly urban'? Can't quite parse it.

Last edited by TGLS; 10-18-2022 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-19-2022, 08:00 AM   #284
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I pause. "No, I don't. Maybe I should have. Maybe then 'it gets worse' wouldn't be the running theme of my life."
Togar: "You going to teach weird kid religion?"
Reslin: "Just enough to not bring us any bad luck. [To Julian] Just say that prayer if anything good happens to you."

Quote:
I thought that might be noisier, but considering the individual jangling of coins as opposed to the jangling of a pouch hitting the ground, that's probably the better move...

I decide to drop the whole pouch.
Done. Hopefully you can find it again at some point.

Quote:
Well '<>' is from here:

With 'That' meaning: 'jumping out the hole and calling for help', I don't quite see how 'posh' would fit. So I guess the meaning there would be closer to 'soft'? Or perhaps, 'overly urban'? Can't quite parse it.

I was looking at this one:

Quote:
"The Bearded man IS my boss. Paldrian is merely an equal in rank, and he's not half as dangerous as I am. Don't let the clothes and the <???> fool you."

Quote:
"That was <>, you know?"
"Stupid. Dangerous. It means somethings wrong with you."

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 10-19-2022, 04:23 PM   #285
TGLS

Quote:
Togar: "You going to teach weird kid religion?"
[To Togar] "What, you think it's dumb?"
Quote:
Reslin: "Just enough to not bring us any bad luck. [To Julian] Just say that prayer if anything good happens to you."
"I guess I can say that when I see..." I stop. I was going to finish, "the back of you.", but that's not smart.

Crap, it's been too long, um, "outside this tangle. Stupid plants."

Quote:
Done. Hopefully you can find it again at some point.
At this point I'd be happy to get out of here alive and untied.

Quote:
I was looking at this one:

Quote:
"The Bearded man IS my boss. Paldrian is merely an equal in rank, and he's not half as dangerous as I am. Don't let the clothes and the <???> fool you."
And here I thought he was swearing.

Quote:
"Stupid. Dangerous. It means somethings wrong with you."
I wonder how he'd feel at the other end of the rope. Well, not literally, the back's probably about the same as being in front.

I wonder if I'm being odd in how I'm reacting. Would another homeless orphan here just see how hopeless it would be and take it? I mean, working in a dangerous mine for three squares and a bit a day...

Against better judgement, I'll ask, "What, do you expect me to just let you haul me off?"
Old 10-20-2022, 11:16 AM   #286
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
[To Togar] "What, you think it's dumb?"
Togar: "No, I think Reslin doesn't know the first thing about religion. He just repeats a couple of prayers over and over. I suppose he could teach you those prayers... but he'd teach you a word or two wrong."

Quote:
And here I thought he was swearing.
And the word might have a little bit of that context as well.

Quote:
I wonder if I'm being odd in how I'm reacting. Would another homeless orphan here just see how hopeless it would be and take it? I mean, working in a dangerous mine for three squares and a bit a day...
There is this weird human self-preservation instinct that keeps people doing things to stay alive until the last possible moment. Even when its dumb and you're going to die anyways. Julian doesn't have that, because he's a PC. So its par for the course.

Quote:
Against better judgement, I'll ask, "What, do you expect me to just let you haul me off?"
Togar: "I expect you to run someplace that won't get you killed."

Old 10-20-2022, 05:54 PM   #287
TGLS

Quote:
Togar: "No, I think Reslin doesn't know the first thing about religion. He just repeats a couple of prayers over and over. I suppose he could teach you those prayers... but he'd teach you a word or two wrong."
"What does that matter; if he believes he believes it, isn't it the same?"

Quote:
And the word might have a little bit of that context as well.
Well that and a vague noun. Anyway,

Quote:
Togar: "I expect you to run someplace that won't get you killed."
"I didn't expect you to stay on your feet. Or be willing to kill me if I got someone's attention. Usually murder is worse than kidnapping."

I guess we're going to carry on down this tunnel. I wish I bought something more substantial than sandals. Wonder when the watch is going to come up.
Old 10-21-2022, 08:44 AM   #288
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
"What does that matter; if he believes he believes it, isn't it the same?"
Togar: "No, because if he teaches it to you wrong, you'll accidentally commit some sacrilege and then who knows what will happen to us."

Quote:
"I didn't expect you to stay on your feet. Or be willing to kill me if I got someone's attention. Usually murder is worse than kidnapping."
Reslin: "Well you're wrong. We're not kidnappers, we're soldiers. Paid killers in enemy territory. You wouldn't be the first boy I've killed, especially if I think you'd be the last. So that was your plan. Get attention. Be glad it didn't work. The long fall to death is said to be terrible."

Quote:
I guess we're going to carry on down this tunnel. I wish I bought something more substantial than sandals. Wonder when the watch is going to come up.

When they get to the next hole, Julian's rope is tied far away from the hole, and they keep an eye on him.

"Don't try anything else. We're watching you!"

Old 10-21-2022, 05:53 PM   #289
TGLS

Quote:
Togar: "No, because if he teaches it to you wrong, you'll accidentally commit some sacrilege and then who knows what will happen to us."
I shrug and start practicing. Probably too much to hope that I get an opportunity to flub the line before the watch error is noticed.

Quote:
Reslin: "Well you're wrong. We're not kidnappers, we're soldiers. Paid killers in enemy territory. You wouldn't be the first boy I've killed,"
That shocks me enough to pull me back to English. "What? Why the hell you'd do that?"

I probably repeat myself in Riask, and continue, "No such thing as war crimes?"

Might be a hard words there. Perhaps, battle or soldier instead of war? Crime might be harder; thief wouldn't work.

You know, I think foiling that attack might be the best thing I've ever done. I guess I peaked.

Quote:
"The long fall to death is said to be terrible."
I think for a moment. "Probably suffocate under the clouds. Or the air goes," I make a sucking sound, "out like that. Blood inside, blood outside."

Quote:
When they get to the next hole,
Another thin part in the vegetation you mean.

Quote:
Julian's rope is tied far away from the hole, and they keep an eye on him.

"Don't try anything else. We're watching you!"
Well there's only so much I can do. Kind of wish I had that knife now. Maybe there something pointy around here.
Quote:
[80] 22-10-22 01:50:09 CEST
Scrounging
3d6 <= 13
3 + 3 + 6 = 12 ... success
And I suppose I'll have to lift it discreetly.
Quote:
[81] 22-10-22 01:52:22 CEST
Filch
3d6 <= 12
5 + 6 + 3 = 14 ... failure
Old 10-24-2022, 09:33 AM   #290
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
That shocks me enough to pull me back to English. "What? Why the hell you'd do that?"

I probably repeat myself in Riask, and continue, "No such thing as war crimes?"

Might be a hard words there. Perhaps, battle or soldier instead of war? Crime might be harder; thief wouldn't work.
He stumbles over the words.

Reslin elaborates: "Usually the idiot is trying something foolish, like stopping us from collecting booty. One or two of them we just had to remove to keep the secret"

as julian expresses some sort of idea that such actions are bad and not good for soldiers he gets a confused look:

"The rules of war are for armies. If we get caught, we're dead. Quickly if we're lucky. I'm not following some fool idea that's going to get me caught."

Quote:
I think for a moment. "Probably suffocate under the clouds. Or the air goes," I make a sucking sound, "out like that. Blood inside, blood outside."
Togar: "Naw, you'd just boil."

OCC: you're actually correct about the mode death for this spot (suffocation as the humidity and heat rise too high to allow for gas exchange in the lungs) and Togar is wrong, but he doesn't know that. No one has really lived to tell commando soldiers.

Quote:
Another thin part in the vegetation you mean.
correct.

Quote:
Well there's only so much I can do. Kind of wish I had that knife now. Maybe there something pointy around here.

And I suppose I'll have to lift it discreetly.
Is this for one of their knives, or for a random sharp branch? (you can choose)

Tags
lost in dreams