Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 10-07-2022, 03:43 PM   #271
TGLS

Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The watch is +0 to holdout, and then a +1 for an additional item. So it worked.
Surely -1.

Quote:
Togar hauls Julian out of the pit by the ropes around his waist and foot. After Julian is up, he throws the kid on the ground and puts his foot on him while he hauls up Reslin. If the kid struggles, the man increases the pressure on his ribs with his boot.
I gasp out in pain. "Please! Stop! They're broken!"

Quote:
After Reslin gets up, he looks at the kid. "That was <>, you know?" He hits the kid in the face. "You deserved that. And you blew your chance. You won't be able to do that again." Something in his voice seems to indicate respect.
I puff up slightly. Yeah, I'm not just some kid, I--. No; now they knows I'm not docile; now they know to keep a close eye on me. What do I care what they think about me? They're killers and they beat me up!

Quote:
down another 1 HP.
One more hit and I'll be at half move! ... OK, that's an even dumber plan.

Quote:
They continue on their journey. They stop to rest fairly often, and Julian is faced with the choice of when to drop the watch: how much time after he messes with it?
I must have a concussion or something. I could have swore I heard Reslin notice his watch was missing.

They're watching Julian more closely, not tying up his hands or anything, right?

I probably can't check the watch without getting them suspicious. I'll hum along to the music in my head for an hour or so before getting ready to drop it. I'd sing but that might be conspicuous. And I'm an awful singer. And I'm surrounded by a bunch of killjoys who are more concerned about the noise.

Quote:
[71] 22-10-07 23:26:47 CEST
Musical (Hobby)
3d6 <= 11
2 + 4 + 3 = 9 ... success
... throw away my shot! ... OK, that's approximately an hour. Now let's drop that watch. Hopefully dropping is as easy as picking them up.

Quote:
[72] 22-10-07 23:31:00 CEST
Filch
3d6 <= 12
3 + 6 + 6 = 15 ... failure
Uh oh. Luck recharges at, what, every thirty posts? Well I'm blowing too much success to not use it now anyway.

Quote:
[74] 22-10-07 23:42:26 CEST
Filch Luck Reroll #2
3d6 <= 12
3 + 5 + 2 = 10 ... success
[73] 22-10-07 23:42:12 CEST
Filch Luck Rerolls
3d6 <= 12
6 + 2 + 1 = 9 ... success
OK, best success is by three.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 09:58 AM   #272
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Surely -1.
I mean, its a pretty small watch.

Quote:
I gasp out in pain. "Please! Stop! They're broken!"
"Shut up! should have thought about that before you tried to kill us!"

Quote:
They're watching Julian more closely, not tying up his hands or anything, right?
correct. You pretty much need your hands. And its not like there is any place to go.... most of the time.

Quote:
Uh oh. Luck recharges at, what, every thirty posts? Well I'm blowing too much success to not use it now anyway.
This doesn't quite happen...

Quote:
I must have a concussion or something. I could have swore I heard Reslin notice his watch was missing.
You did... then I figured I'd give you the chance to drop it before he checked...

About a half hour into the singing, Reslin says "My Watch! where is my watch?!"

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 02:31 PM   #273
TGLS

Quote:
I mean, its a pretty small watch.
I was more thinking, more items should be more difficult, not easier, thus -1 not +1. Anyway,
Quote:
"Shut up! should have thought about that before you tried to kill us!"
I'm not sure if saying that I was hoping for rescue not death would help any here, so I keep quiet. And by quiet, I mean incoherent cries.

Quote:
correct. You pretty much need your hands.
Not sure for what. Steep slopes in the vine tunnels maybe? Climbing down vertical drops?

Quote:
About a half hour into the singing, Reslin says "My Watch! where is my watch?!"
Well it's more like loud humming.

--

I'll let this play out. They might be a bit suspicious if they find the watch just as Reslin notices it's missing. And if they decide to search me and find it, they might not think that it was tampered with, just stolen. And about they only way they would probably be sure was if they had another one to compare to.
Old 10-11-2022, 09:07 AM   #274
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Not sure for what. Steep slopes in the vine tunnels maybe? Climbing down vertical drops?
Steep slopes, extremely uneven ground, roots sticking out in front of your face.

Quote:
I'll let this play out. They might be a bit suspicious if they find the watch just as Reslin notices it's missing. And if they decide to search me and find it, they might not think that it was tampered with, just stolen. And about they only way they would probably be sure was if they had another one to compare to.
They flash their light stones around, looking for the watch. Togar suggests it may have fallen out when they were pulling Julian up. Reslin says he's not sure how far back he can follow the trails correctly. They start working their way back up the tunnels they came from... which is quite tiring.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 10-11-2022, 05:26 PM   #275
TGLS

Quote:
Steep slopes, extremely uneven ground, roots sticking out in front of your face.
Well no wonder Tarbreth protested marching over the top.

Quote:
They flash their light stones around, looking for the watch. Togar suggests it may have fallen out when they were pulling Julian up. Reslin says he's not sure how far back he can follow the trails correctly. They start working their way back up the tunnels they came from... which is quite tiring.
As much as I'm enjoying them wasting time on this trip back, I don't imagine that they're going to head all the way back into town if they can't find the watch. Or at least, both of them head back to town. And well, if they don't find the watch at the hole (if we get there; Reslin doesn't seem confident), I dunno what they're going to do.

I'll wait until we meet some particularly treacherous spot of terrain (ideally more than a minute away). Then I'll say, "Hey, stop!" Then I'll make like I'm picking something off the ground but in reality just taking the watch out of my pocket. Then I'll hold up the watch, and say, "Is this what you're looking for?"

Not sure what this works out to: Filch [for dropping something]? Sleight of Hand [It is effectively a party trick]? Acting with complementary Filch/Sleight of Hand [The trick of picking up the watch is basically to help sell the con]? I'll go with Acting with Filch as complementary.

Quote:
[76] 22-10-12 01:25:41 CEST
Acting (-1 for blown filch)
3d6 <= 12
1 + 3 + 1 = 5 ... success
[75] 22-10-12 01:25:11 CEST
Complementary Filch
3d6 <= 12
6 + 5 + 3 = 14 ... failure
Well it looks like I managed to recover from a worse than expected drop.
Old 10-12-2022, 08:54 AM   #276
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I'd have argued the other way around... acting supports filch... and either filch or slight of hand should work here.

So that's a failure by one... would you like to use luck?

OCC: Historically, Lost in dreams has in-game luck regeneration... but moving it to a number of posts is probably a good idea. What are we using for the other two games?

Old 10-12-2022, 06:46 PM   #277
TGLS

Quote:
I'd have argued the other way around... acting supports filch... and either filch or slight of hand should work here.
OK. I only brought up SoH specifically because I don't have it and it's default sucks. Not sure if the dimness modifier applies; I imagine the Vasic flashlights are on me once I start making a fuss.

Quote:
So that's a failure by one... would you like to use luck?
Sure let's go for it!
Quote:
[77] 22-10-13 01:28:27 CEST
Filch Rerolls
3d6 <= 12 13, counting the complementary acting
1: 3 + 5 + 1 = 9 ... success
2: 1 + 6 + 5 = 12 ... success
sum: 21, average: 10.50, success: 2/2 100%
I watch helplessly as the watch slips from my grasp and bounces off a root I overlooked, only to end up exactly where I wanted it. I nearly forget to pick up the watch before I stand back up. "Well, this is it, right?"

Quote:
OCC: Historically, Lost in dreams has in-game luck regeneration... but moving it to a number of posts is probably a good idea. What are we using for the other two games?
I'll address this in OOC.
Old 10-13-2022, 08:42 AM   #278
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I watch helplessly as the watch slips from my grasp and bounces off a root I overlooked, only to end up exactly where I wanted it. I nearly forget to pick up the watch before I stand back up. "Well, this is it, right?"
Reslin utters some exclamation Julian doesn't understand. Perhaps its of relief? A weird prayer?

He scrambles down and snatches the watch from Julian's hands.

"We are saved!"

Old 10-13-2022, 04:34 PM   #279
TGLS

Quote:
Reslin utters some exclamation Julian doesn't understand. Perhaps its of relief? A weird prayer?
Maybe he's upset I spotted it and he didn't. I take it that he didn't say "<>" again. Let's call this exclamation "[]"

Quote:
He scrambles down and snatches the watch from Julian's hands.

"We are saved!"
I'll pretend not to know what a watch is.

"What's so important about that shiny thing anyway? You're acting like it's life and death."
Quote:
[78] 22-10-14 00:26:32 CEST
Acting
3d6 <= 12
1 + 3 + 2 = 6 ... success
A little while later I'll ask what "[]" and "<>" mean. I sound the words out carefully; I try to get the pronunciation just so...

I'll also try to drop a few coins as we saunter along:
Quote:
[79] 22-10-15 03:47:29 CEST
Filch
3d6 <= 12
6 + 3 + 2 = 11 ... success

Last edited by TGLS; 10-14-2022 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-17-2022, 09:50 AM   #280
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I'll pretend not to know what a watch is.

"What's so important about that shiny thing anyway? You're acting like it's life and death."
"It is life and death. Without this, we can't talk to Paldrian, which means he send someone to come get us. Which means we'll starve, be eaten by beasts, or captured by Hawkin if we can't find out way back to an outpost."

Quote:
Maybe he's upset I spotted it and he didn't. I take it that he didn't say "<>" again. Let's call this exclamation "[]"

A little while later I'll ask what "[]" and "<>" mean. I sound the words out carefully; I try to get the pronunciation just so...
Togar: "'[]'* is a prayer. You say it when you find something. Its a little... old."
*its a short phrase, not a word. Something like 10 syllables long.

Reslin: "<> is what you call someone who is cared for by servants and has never been out of a city. Soft. Too much money. Too much comfort. Too little courage."
(this word is likely to be translated 'posh' going forward.)

Quote:
I'll also try to drop a few coins as we saunter along
That's successful... how many of them out of the total?

Tags
lost in dreams