Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 09-22-2022, 10:54 AM   #251
TGLS

Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
"No! Someone else back in civilization will do it. Maybe Paldrian, but probably not."
Hm. I guess there will be a lot of waiting once we reach a "low enough" point.

Quote:
Togar: "Hey! stay away from the hole! get out of my way!"
I suppose I can't quite reach the hole yet and I haven't reached the end of my rope yet either.

Does it look like Togar needs to use both hands to keep the rope steady? Like he can't easily yank on the rope I'm tied to, to pull me away from the hole.

How much rope has Togar loosed yet? Can I tell how far Reslin's been dropped down the hole? Can I guess?

What would I need to roll to make him lose grip?
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 09:34 AM   #252
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I suppose I can't quite reach the hole yet and I haven't reached the end of my rope yet either.
He's about 1.3 meters from the edge of the hole.

Quote:
Does it look like Togar needs to use both hands to keep the rope steady? Like he can't easily yank on the rope I'm tied to, to pull me away from the hole.
Yeah, he's very much using both hands. He could conceivably free up one after a second of securing it.

Quote:
How much rope has Togar loosed yet? Can I tell how far Reslin's been dropped down the hole? Can I guess?
Reslin is about a meter and a half down the hole. There is probably another meter and a half left in the rope.

Quote:
What would I need to roll to make him lose grip?
That depends entirely on the method... would you be pushing him, pulling the rope, smashing his hands, or some other method?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 10:38 AM   #253
TGLS

Quote:
He's about 1.3 meters from the edge of the hole.

Yeah, he's very much using both hands. He could conceivably free up one after a second of securing it.
OK, even assuming I can get to the edge of the hole with the remaining rope, if I continue it would probably go like this:
-> He secures the rope
-> I get to the hole
-> He yanks me and I fall over

So attempting to jump in the hole (and letting gravity do the hard work of making him lose grip) is out.

Quote:
Reslin is about a meter and a half down the hole. There is probably another meter and a half left in the rope.
And the rope's going, what, 10 cm/s? Probably too long to pull him back out.

Quote:
That depends entirely on the method... would you be pushing him, pulling the rope, smashing his hands, or some other method?
Well, I could probably get over close to him, but hitting him in the arm is probably too risky. He's huge; it'd be like a mosquito bite. And even if it did work I'd probably get stuck in the hole.

Yeah, pull on the rope, even when he's straining on that he's too heavy for me to move... I know! I could convince him to let me help him with the rope, and when he begins to relax, I could pull hard in the other direction and trip him up!

I'll step away from hole like he asked, and then say, "Holding that rope looks really hard. I with this pack I'm heavy enough to keep the rope anchored. Could I help?

Quote:
[62] 22-09-23 18:38:32 CEST
Fast-Talk
3d6 <= 12
5 + 5 + 1 = 11 ... success
Old 09-26-2022, 09:14 AM   #254
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
OK, even assuming I can get to the edge of the hole with the remaining rope, if I continue it would probably go like this:
-> He secures the rope
-> I get to the hole
-> He yanks me and I fall over

So attempting to jump in the hole (and letting gravity do the hard work of making him lose grip) is out.
Meter and a half is well within a 1 second move. Its not within a careful lowering of yourself through the hole. He also would need to grab the rope you are attatched to.

Quote:
And the rope's going, what, 10 cm/s? Probably too long to pull him back out.
10 cm/s would be on the fast side, but yeah, that's about right.

Quote:
I'll step away from hole like he asked, and then say, "Holding that rope looks really hard. I with this pack I'm heavy enough to keep the rope anchored. Could I help?
The attempt fails:

"I'm using the root as the anchor. Stay out of the way!"

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 09-26-2022, 10:43 AM   #255
TGLS

Quote:
Meter and a half is well within a 1 second move. Its not within a careful lowering of yourself through the hole. He also would need to grab the rope you are attached to.
Wouldn't that be rather easy given that we're attached to the same rope? The ropes are Reslin-Self-Togar and Reslin-Togar-Root, right?

Quote:
The attempt fails:

"I'm using the root as the anchor. Stay out of the way!"
Well I guess I've wasted all the goodwill I had, so what could I expect?
Old 09-27-2022, 07:46 AM   #256
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Wouldn't that be rather easy given that we're attached to the same rope? The ropes are Reslin-Self-Togar and Reslin-Togar-Root, right?

There is a lot of slack in the rope at the moment. Grabbing a limp rope at your waist is about as difficult as grabbing a sword. which is to say it takes a ready maneuver, and yanking it is another maneuver.

Old 09-27-2022, 08:04 AM   #257
TGLS

Quote:
There is a lot of slack in the rope at the moment. Grabbing a limp rope at your waist is about as difficult as grabbing a sword. which is to say it takes a ready maneuver, and yanking it is another maneuver.
Well let's go for that then. I run for the hole as fast as I can (which is not very fast on account for this massive sack on my back) and try to fit my self through the hole.

Quote:
[63] 22-09-27 16:03:48 CEST
DX Roll to fit through the hole (?)
3d6 <= 12
2 + 4 + 6 = 12 ... success
Hopefully there's no penalty to that...
Old 09-28-2022, 09:38 AM   #258
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Julian jumps into the hole, hoping for the best. He gets a nasty scrape on his ribs as he goes down, and another bruise on his ribs as he collides with Reslin's knee. With a Yank, the rope around his waist catches him and he hears Togar shouting something. His breath is knocked away.

A few seconds later, everything has sorted out. He's dangling over the bank of cloulds by his waist, upside down. Reslin's legs are about a meter above him, with a lot of slack rope between the two.

Reslin: "We've still got him! He's upside down! Throw me some more rope!"

Togar: "Let me let the slack out!"

Reslin: "No! we don't want him to come loose!"

Old 09-28-2022, 10:52 AM   #259
TGLS

OK Julian, let's see if there's anything down here we can--

I start yelling and screaming, trying to attract the attention of anyone in the area. I try to get the rope swinging like a swing set. Lean one way, lean the other. Should make it harder to do anything with the rope, and might make this whole mess easier to spot. Maybe I could get enough speed to grab something, and make it harder to be pulled back through the hole.
Old 09-29-2022, 10:06 AM   #260
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Reslin: "Boy! do you want to fall!? If we get spotted we're just going to drop you and run for it!"

Tags
lost in dreams