Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 11-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
Augster

Default Dying and multiple monsters

Hello.

I was level 9. I was going to beat an undead monster that would have given me the game, but his "bad stuff" is he kills me.

To not lose, my daughter walked in the Wight Brothers whose "bad stuff" is go down to level 1. I could not defeat them both.

According to the rules, you get to choose who to run away from first.

If I choose the monster that kills me to run away from first, and it kills me, do I still have to make a roll to escape the Wight Brothers? I would be trying to avoid going back down to level 1 by failing a run away roll.

In other words, once you get killed, do you still have to roll to run away from other monsters in the fight? Or is death the end of the combat turn? At that point in the game I'd much rather be dead than back to level 1.

Also, can I voluntarily fail a run away roll? Or is getting away just part of the randomness? Looking at it in an RPG type thing, why couldn't my character just choose to attack until he died, or more correctly, let the monster win and accepted the worst it could dish out? Can we willingly accept the "bad stuff" of a monster without making a roll? Or can I select to automatically roll a 1?

Thanks for the answers!
Augster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Dying and multiple monsters

Thankfully, these are in the FAQ, so I don't have to do a lot of typing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The FAQ
Q. Exactly when do you die, and how long do you stay dead?
A. You die when you get Bad Stuff that says you're dead. (A very few other cards can cause Death as well.) If you were fleeing from other monsters, you are excused from their Bad Stuff, because you're dead. While you are dead, you cannot receive cards for any reason, and you cannot level up. You STAY dead only until the next person's turn starts. Your new character appears at that point and may join normally in the combat, though you will get no new cards until someone gives you charity, you get cards as payment for helping in a combat, or your next turn starts. Fortunately, death is temporary . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by The FAQ
Q. Do I have to Run Away? What if I WANT to die?
A. Your character does not want to die. Your character will always TRY to Run Away. If you want to die, hope for a bad die roll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augster View Post
Looking at it in an RPG type thing, why couldn't my character just choose to attack until he died, or more correctly, let the monster win and accepted the worst it could dish out?
As much as the game is supposed to represent the munchkin style of playing RPGs in a card game, it's still a card game with its own rules. If you can't win, you can try to get help, or you can Run Away, but you can't just willingly choose to suffer the Bad Stuff even though in an RPG you might decide to hang in there and possibly die, basically because that's what the rules say.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 11-12-2013 at 04:27 PM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote