Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-19-2017, 09:07 AM   #51
jason taylor

Default Re: Hot Spots you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
I'd probably like that, but then I have a degree in history and political sciences, and did my capstone papers for my bachelors on the development of the railroads in India, and how they acted as catalysts for the creation of an Indian national consciousness. For most people, they'd probably want a more exciting read, with plenty of adventure-hooks and well-defined villains.
I never thought of that but your right they probably would have. But if it's to boring just say it in one sentence and go on. And perhaps tell how it would be applicable to a game. For instance, what if a Maratha and a Rajput bought tickets on the same train?
Old 05-19-2017, 11:15 AM   #52
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
Once upon a time GURPS India made it to a playtest draft, but no farther. I read it once, and it couldn't decide if it was a sourcebook or a history text.
There is a difference?

I'm reading An Invincible Beast: Understanding the Hellenistic Pike Phalanx in Action as a sourcebook for my fantasy campaign, after having run out of reasonably priced Kindle-accessible sourcebooks on the Silk Road and the history of the Eurasian steppes.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:37 PM   #53
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
There is a difference?.
One relates the history to gaming; the other doesn't. The whole point of GURPS supplements is to help us use this historical material in our games. G:India didn't do much of this.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:37 PM   #54
dcarson

GURPS India had the same problems that GURPS China did only more so. It covered so much time and area that any campaign would have used maybe a page or two of the material.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:34 PM   #55
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
GURPS India had the same problems that GURPS China did only more so. It covered so much time and area that any campaign would have used maybe a page or two of the material.
Yeah, that would suck. You'd want an entire book just for the Mauryan Empire (Iron Age India, contemporaneous with the collapse of Alexander's empire and the dawn of the Hellenistic world as well as the Warring States period in China); a second for the Mughals at their height (contemporaneous with Renaissance Europe and the growing rebellion of the Manchurians against the Ming Dynasty); and yet a third for the British Raj (discuss the Great Game of the British Empire against Russia, mention the Opium War in China; and if it doesn't include Kipling, it's doing it wrong).

Last edited by tshiggins; 05-19-2017 at 08:44 PM.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:13 AM   #56
robkelk
Untitled

Noticed in a post over in Roleplaying in General: a Hot Spot somebody else appears to want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J.Steele View Post
I'm thinking more about pulp espionage than pulp politics, tho inter-war era Germany is a very interesting place that hasn't been done much in games.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:37 PM   #57
MrKay

Hot Spots: Danelaw. Starting with the invasion of the Great Heathen Army under the sons of Lothbrok in 867, and ending with the fall of the Norse kingdom of Northumbria in 954.

Main focus on the Northumbria region, but also covering the southern Saxon kingdoms, specifically the rise of Wessex, and the transition from Pictland to Scotland in the north, taking place at the same time.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:49 PM   #58
jason taylor

Great Lakes region Sixteenth and Seventeenth century. Last of the Mohicans country. Intrigue between New France, New England and Iroquoia, bloody battles, atrocities, forests primeval, beautiful maidens, hunters with long rifles, canoes, exploring, what not.

Rurrik Russia

I still like the Baltic at the time of the Hansa

Sarajavo 1990(actually that's a rather nasty place, but the others are too, and that's kind of the point, so there).

Geekyburg Cafe: The coffeehouse of Geekyburg(for want of a better name) is one of the best internet cafe franchises in the world. It is also a center of electronic espionage and sabotage. Several patrons who have visited it have come to a bad end. And it is rumored that there is even more to the place then already meets the eye. Perhaps there is a Conspiracy(or more then one) to Take Over the World. In any case it is the PCs job to enjoy their coffee, enjoy their computers and Fight Evildoers).
Old 05-23-2017, 10:11 PM   #59
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKay View Post
Hot Spots: Danelaw. Starting with the invasion of the Great Heathen Army under the sons of Lothbrok in 867, and ending with the fall of the Norse kingdom of Northumbria in 954.

Main focus on the Northumbria region, but also covering the southern Saxon kingdoms, specifically the rise of Wessex, and the transition from Pictland to Scotland in the north, taking place at the same time.
I just started watching The Last Kingdom, on Netflix, and it is exactly this setting. I've seen three episodes and I like it pretty well, so far.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot spots, wish list