Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-16-2012, 07:13 AM   #71
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Why short bow instead of long bow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Apparently terminology varies wildly in English speaking countries. In Canada "an assault occurs when a person directly or indirectly applies force intentionally to another person without their consent"
Of course, right there is the key to the legality of sporting events. To participate in such an event is to give implied, if not explicit, consent for many things that might happen to you that would qualify as assault, battery, or other criminal charges outside of that event.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #72
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1982 View Post
Coming back to the original question - Has anybody had a char that was using a Shortbow? Successfullly? Against a foe?

For my case I must say not really - They barely hit and inflict a ridiculous small amount of damage. I'd rather settle for the sling...
Yes. One was a rogue type, the other a merchant type for mounted nomads.
I don't know why you say they barely hit, that is primarily a function of skill. Both of the characters were skilled. The damage was fine as well. They both were using ST 10 short bows. They both generally attacked the vitals.

I just don't see such a huge difference between long and short bow that one is great and the other unusable.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #73
chris1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
Yes. One was a rogue type, the other a merchant type for mounted nomads.
I don't know why you say they barely hit, that is primarily a function of skill. Both of the characters were skilled. The damage was fine as well. They both were using ST 10 short bows. They both generally attacked the vitals.
Well: They do 1d-2 damage then. Against a DR 1 foe that means even when they hit and the enemy doesn't block or dodge there is a 50% (!) chance of doing zero damage. - If we say chance to hit is 60% and change to dodge/block is 50% there is a total chance of 15% to do any damage (and you need 3 rounds to set this up). I find that a bit weak...
chris1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #74
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Well: They do 1d-2 damage then. Against a DR 1 foe that means even when they hit and the enemy doesn't block or dodge there is a 50% (!) chance of doing zero damage. - If we say chance to hit is 60% and change to dodge/block is 50% there is a total chance of 15% to do any damage (and you need 3 rounds to set this up). I find that a bit weak...
If you shoot targets that don't have body armor and shields it looks rather better.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #75
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

The "short bow" in the Basic Set isn't a weapon of war, so why would you use it against people in armor? It's a hunting weapon for shooting rabbits, birds, etc., pressed into service as an improvised weapon in human-on-human conflicts; as p. 73 of Low-Tech says, its staff might be nothing but a bough off a tree. The "short bows" used by horse archers, etc. would be most logically represented as composite bows in game terms; see Low-Tech, p. 72.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #76
chris1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
If you shoot targets that don't have body armor and shields it looks rather better.
Yeah, and vs foes that are bound to a chair and gagged it is even easier!
chris1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #77
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
A guy (or animal) with no body armor and no shield can still kill you pretty well.

If the things you need to shoot at have DR and shields, a shortbow is a very poor option (unless you've got ridiculously high Bow and Targeted Attack (Bow shot/Eye) at least), but that's not every situation or every game.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #78
gilbertocarlos

Quote:
bound in many light ropes, otherwise they can provide DR1, and you don't want that.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #79
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
bound in many light ropes, otherwise they can provide DR1, and you don't want that.
You're either using way too much rope, or you haven't updated your mental picture to adult proportions since the days of playing Cowboys and Indians when you were little.

ropes don't cover much of the body at all, to the text it take a pretty good trick shot to even hit them.

Last edited by roguebfl; 09-17-2013 at 12:03 AM. Reason: spelling
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #80
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
The "short bow" in the Basic Set isn't a weapon of war, so why would you use it against people in armor? It's a hunting weapon for shooting rabbits, birds, etc., pressed into service as an improvised weapon in human-on-human conflicts; as p. 73 of Low-Tech says, its staff might be nothing but a bough off a tree. The "short bows" used by horse archers, etc. would be most logically represented as composite bows in game terms; see Low-Tech, p. 72.
I guess my initial question would be better restated as, "If you also have a man sized long bow, would there ever be a reason to also have a short bow?"

It seems to me that there should be rules making it kind of difficult to run around with something that huge vs. the short bow even though it is only one Bulk point difference.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bow, bows