Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 03-01-2019, 10:01 AM   #1
TippetsTX

Default Combo Spells

Given the fairly limited number of spells available to wizards (as well as the precious nature of starting IQ), I've been thinking about coming up with rules for combining or stacking separate spells to produce new effects. Has anyone else played around with something like this?

For example, a wizard who knows both 'Scrying' and 'Long-Distance Teleport' could manage a teleport tracking spell at twice the normal scrying ST cost.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:47 AM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Combo Spells

Other than Staff + Brand, most of my combo stuff has been Spell + Talent, which in Raw only has Missile Spell + Missile Weapons talent.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:04 AM   #3
TippetsTX

Another combo I've been thinking about would expand the usefulness of the 'Pentagram' spell. Basically, I see it as a 'spell booster'... any spell cast from within an active pentagram would be enhanced in some way.

Amat Victoria Curam!
Old 03-01-2019, 12:38 PM   #4
hcobb

Can a Pentagram filter out external interference so you can scry the maker of an item in your hand?
Old 03-01-2019, 12:47 PM   #5
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Can a Pentagram filter out external interference so you can scry the maker of an item in your hand?
Probably not, at least not in the traditional scrying sense, but maybe it could provide some kind of intense 'object read' effect... gleaning information about the maker from the psychic imprint left on the item.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:25 AM   #6
TippetsTX

BTW, I'm now thinking that rather than trying to come up with a fixed list of valid combinations and associated ST costs, I may leave this to the creativity of my players... giving them the freedom to justify their own 'blended' spell creations as their need dictates.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:04 AM   #7
warhorse11h

I stole and adapted this spell from another game. While it is not specifically what you are describing, it is close.

Orbs of Colorful Lights (S) Caster creates an orb of glowing colored light that moves to the target creature like a missile spell. On impact with the creature, the Orb of Colorful Light can have any number of effects that can be mixed and matched depending on your stage of intellect. The table below shows the effects available to a wizard with a given IQ. Thr orb's color determines the special damage or special effect that it will have. You can select any color available as long as it is less than or equal to your IQ. Damge will always be the highest version you know. Cost to cast is 2 ST in any form.
8 White 1-2 +2 Damage vs humanoids. Target is Tripped as spell
10 Red 1-2 +2 Damage vs animals. Dazzle number of turns equal to damage
12 Orange 1-1 +2 Damage vs Undead. Confused as if hit by spell of value equal to damage
14 Yellow 1 +2 Damage vs magic users. Clumsy as if hit by spell of value equal to damage
16 Green 1 +2 Damage vs Magical Beasts. Slow move number of turns equal to damage
17 Blue 1 +2 Damage vs elementals. Stop number of turns equal to damage
18 Indigo 1+1 +2 Damage vs Giants. Freeze as hit by spell for turns equal to damage
19 Violet 1+1 +2 Damage vs Dragons. Avert in effect vs caster for turns equal to damage
20 Black 1+1 +2 Damage vs Demons. Weakness as spell at value equal to damage
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote