Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 11-29-2018, 02:04 PM   #1
TippetsTX

Default Psionics in TFT

Moving this from another thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Had an interesting idea about that actually... it may not be practical, but what if the use of psionic powers sucked away IQ the way spells take ST? Continued use of such powers may lead to insanity or other mental instability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
That makes sense. Probably would lead to a lot of house rules covering the changes, such as can you use talents from your base IQ, or only from your current effective IQ? But using IQ as a psionic power pool is logical. Or perhaps a combination of ST and IQ (IQ to "cast", ST to maintain)?

One of the unlife powers in my book (Obsession) has an IQ-fatiguing effect over time, and it does lead to madness if the victim falls below 0 effective IQ (0 is catatonic coma). So you're on the right track in my opinion. ^_^
Quote:
Here's the relevant part of the listing on Obsession that deals with IQ-fatigue effects:

Obsession manifests as persistent “mental fatigue”. Whereas Oppression operates against a character’s ST, Obsession operates against IQ. Someone under Obsession suffers +1 point of IQ “fatigue” per day, cumulative. This means that their effective IQ is reduced, so any spell or talent which requires an IQ beyond their adjusted value is no longer accessible to them. When the victim’s effective IQ goes below 8 they will begin to act irrationally and increasingly bestial. If their IQ reaches 0 they fall into a mindless stupour, and further Obsession loss beyond that point will trigger them to awake again in an incurably insane state. Some entities will drive their victim mad through Obsession, others will use it to put them in a stupour so that they can then Possess them.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:17 PM   #2
Shadekeep

Default Re: Psionics in TFT

Good deal! Could be a fruitful discussion indeed.

I did a quick web search on this topic, as it seemed like there might have been an old Interplay article along these lines. But the closest thing I found was references to a Space Gamer article titled "The Fantasy Trip meets Katherine Kurtz". Seems to have some rules for a very specific type of psi. Don't know if that's useful or not.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:22 PM   #3
TippetsTX

Quote:
Good deal! Could be a fruitful discussion indeed.

I did a quick web search on this topic, as it seemed like there might have been an old Interplay article along these lines. But the closest thing I found was references to a Space Gamer article titled "The Fantasy Trip meets Katherine Kurtz". Seems to have some rules for a very specific type of psi. Don't know if that's useful or not.
What issue was that?
Old 11-29-2018, 02:29 PM   #4
Shadekeep

Quote:
What issue was that?
Seems like #21. If so, it predates the issues in the W23 Space Gamer Bundle.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:35 PM   #5
TippetsTX

Quote:
Seems like #21. If so, it predates the issues in the W23 Space Gamer Bundle.
Too bad. I just spent a bunch of money to get all of those.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:41 PM   #6
TippetsTX

My gateway to unlocking psionics will likely be thru my proposal for XP-based 'Heroic Exploits' as discussed in another thread.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=160708

Once the portfolio is optioned, however, using IQ to power each individual ability seems like the right approach. Now I just need to figure out what those specific abilities should be.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:41 PM   #7
Shadekeep

Default _

Quote:
Too bad. I just spent a bunch of money to get all of those.
Indeed a shame.

I don't want to clutter up your thread until you've had time to lay out your idea about how psionics work. But I was struck by a curious notion - what if magical spells that mirror psionic powers are actually inferior copies of those natural talents? For example, Dark Vision is a magical version of an ability that some creatures already possess, and arguably the natural version is superior (it doesn't cost anything, for one). What if psionic Telepathy is a natural and superior version of magical Telepathy? For example, working at range? And likewise all the other psionic talents with magical analogues?

Anyway, just wanted to jot this down before I forget it. I'll restrain myself until you've had your proper say. ~_^
Old 11-29-2018, 02:54 PM   #8
TippetsTX

Default Re: _

Quote:
I don't want to clutter up your thread until you've had time to lay out your idea about how psionics work. But I was struck by a curious notion - what if magical spells that mirror psionic powers are actually inferior copies of those natural talents? For example, Dark Vision is a magical version of an ability that some creatures already possess, and arguably the natural version is superior (it doesn't cost anything, for one). What if psionic Telepathy is a natural and superior version of magical Telepathy? For example, working at range? And likewise all the other psionic talents with magical analogues?

Anyway, just wanted to jot this down before I forget it. I'll restrain myself until you've had your proper say. ~_^
No, feel free to continue proposing alternative ideas or approaches. I've got several irons in the fire before I can spend much effort on this so I would appreciate any and all interested parties to contribute.

And while I have stated elsewhere that I don't want to replicate spells with any of my alternative-source powers, I do like your idea that there could be a connection between the two.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:42 PM   #9
warhorse11h

Quote:
No, feel free to continue proposing alternative ideas or approaches. I've got several irons in the fire before I can spend much effort on this so I would appreciate any and all interested parties to contribute.

And while I have stated elsewhere that I don't want to replicate spells with any of my alternative-source powers, I do like your idea that there could be a connection between the two.
I worked up an approach to Psionics that I am using for my game. I won't bore you with the details, but I chose to add ST and IQ to provide a stat for the Psionic powers. Using them took equally from each stat to power the effects and if ST or IQ hits 0, you pass out or are dazed until you gain a point back, 15 minutes of rest.
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:45 PM   #10
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse11h View Post
I worked up an approach to Psionics that I am using for my game. I won't bore you with the details, but I chose to add ST and IQ to provide a stat for the Psionic powers. Using them took equally from each stat to power the effects and if ST or IQ hits 0, you pass out or are dazed until you gain a point back, 15 minutes of rest.
You can bore us with a few details, I think.
;)