Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #51
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Power-Ups for RPM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
Why 3? I thought we only needed 2 levels of Control (Magic) to reduce an x3 multiplier to x1. Maybe I misread upthread.
Okay, Control (Psi) lets you add a level to a power per 10 full levels of Control. Control with Natural Phenomena allows you to add +1 or -1 effects every three levels. I figure the first level lets you give a bonus to gathering rolls, the second lets you reduce a the Greater effects multiplier by 1, two by two (effectively removing one Greater effect). Ive used this in my last couple of game sessions and it feels about right in game. Langy is free to do it his way! He's the GM, if he says it works that way, then it does. I think its two generous. Two levels of Control (Specific Ritual) equal two levels of Magery (Ritual Path) - which allow him to ignore a Greater effect for one ritual. That could have a Archimedes-like effect if you pick the right ritual. I'll look at this thread again in the morning and see if anything shakes loose, I've fried my brain writing all day (something like 10,000 words) so I might be seeing this wrong. Regardless, that's the method I've been using.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:11 PM   #52
Humabout

That's fair enough. I'll scan back unthread and figure out where I got the 40 per greater effect. I swear I saw it from you or pk somewhere. I could be wrong.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #53
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
That's fair enough. I'll scan back unthread and figure out where I got the 40 per greater effect. I swear I saw it from you or pk somewhere. I could be wrong.
PK hasn't chimed in on this to my knowledge. I believe Refplace quoted 40/level

Become a Patron!
Old 10-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #54
Humabout

You're right. I was mixing up your and his posts and scrambling them. While I'm not necessarily against the high point cost for doing craziness for free, I'm just not totally feeling the three levels for a -2 reduction in multiplier. Even if one level gives a bonus to gather attempts, does it stop doing this when you reduce a greater effect to a lesser? Something just feels off about it. I'll give it some more thought in the morning and see if something springs to mind.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

Old 10-17-2013, 10:39 PM   #55
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
PK hasn't chimed in on this to my knowledge. I believe Refplace quoted 40/level
Yep, 40/level for Control (Magic) is my pricing.
I hadnt used it to reduce Greater Effects to leser but have used it for +1 to rolls and skills as if each level counted as Magery. This contradicts the use of Control (Psi) in the Pyramid article GhostDancer referenced but IMHO Mana is an external force your drawing in so it feels appropriate to me.

I feel it is pretty darn pricey for that bonus but it can be used to lower or raise others skills and for Power Defense.
Using it for reducing Greater Effects to Lesser is an interesting idea.
If it were magery at that price it would be worth +4 to gathering energy and 12 ER. Making that worth 1 Greater Effect seems ok but I never tested it.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:00 AM   #56
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
You're right. I was mixing up your and his posts and scrambling them. While I'm not necessarily against the high point cost for doing craziness for free, I'm just not totally feeling the three levels for a -2 reduction in multiplier. Even if one level gives a bonus to gather attempts, does it stop doing this when you reduce a greater effect to a lesser? Something just feels off about it. I'll give it some more thought in the morning and see if something springs to mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Yep, 40/level for Control (Magic) is my pricing.
I hadnt used it to reduce Greater Effects to leser but have used it for +1 to rolls and skills as if each level counted as Magery. This contradicts the use of Control (Psi) in the Pyramid article GhostDancer referenced but IMHO Mana is an external force your drawing in so it feels appropriate to me.

I feel it is pretty darn pricey for that bonus but it can be used to lower or raise others skills and for Power Defense.
Using it for reducing Greater Effects to Lesser is an interesting idea.
If it were magery at that price it would be worth +4 to gathering energy and 12 ER. Making that worth 1 Greater Effect seems ok but I never tested it.
I want to point out something here: Control of all EM Radiation is 25/level (which is easily a pervading force as magic) and God-Like Control, that is Control (Time) or Control (Space) is 30points per level. So making it cost 40/level (unless there is a bundled UB or other trait) is unfair to the players. That said, I might be able to get behind something like

Control (Magic; Cosmic, Affects Self, +50%) [45/level] and allow only archmages or those with lots of points invested in magical Paths in the like to take it.

As for it's bonus reduction to per level - keep in mind that Control (Psi) 20/level gives a +1 to skill rolls per level and a +1 to power levels per 10 levels. That's... a lot really for psis, I know, I have a game where there is a character who basically has a Meta-Psi power and he's nasty against other psis. I mean, worse than anti-psis because he can cause them to critically fail their skill rolls. I originally used 10 levels = reduction of Greater effects by one multiple (x3 becomes x2, x2 becomes x1), but it didn't work out. So I instead increased the base cost to 30/level and treated it like God-Like control, but used the Natural Phenomena rate for Greater effects (level 1 does nothing, level 2 reduces it a multiple, level 3 reduces it the multiple by 2, etc.) - it works almost perfectly. It's also easy to remember: Each level that reduces a Greater effect by one step coincides with the number of levels needed. So Control 3 (Magic) reduces one Greater effect, Control 5(Magic) reduces two, Control 7 (Magic) reduces three, and so on.

Anyways, that's my reasoning. My players balked at the originally pricing, but no so much now. I'd say that having the ability to affect just yourself or just others is worth +0% and doing both is +50%. And thanks to you guys, I've started another article for on how to use Control (Magic) with RPM. :-D

Become a Patron!
Old 10-18-2013, 08:11 AM   #57
Humabout

Quote:
And thanks to you guys, I've started another article for on how to use Control (Magic) with RPM. :-D
Hey, you were asking for topics to write about a week or so ago!

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

Old 10-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #58
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Hey, you were asking for topics to write about a week or so ago!
Ask and the universe provides. :-)

Become a Patron!
Old 10-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #59
Refplace

Quote:
I want to point out something here: Control of all EM Radiation is 25/level (which is easily a pervading force as magic) and God-Like Control, that is Control (Time) or Control (Space) is 30points per level. So making it cost 40/level (unless there is a bundled UB or other trait) is unfair to the players. That said, I might be able to get behind something like
I have been mulling this over and also considering the article in Infinite Worlds.
My original thoughts were that A) I wanted Magic to have a high buy in cost so mages are less common. Magery on a 250 point budget is too easy to take as a tertiary power and still be good at it.
B) Magic is a pervading force in most fantasy and able to be used for just about anything. So a level above Godlike (Time) or Godlike (Space) seemed appropriate as Control (Magic) an do both and more.

However the utility comes into question.
Sure you can buy any power you want as an AA and in this case a higher base cost can be useful.
However what it actually does without an AA really should be a major factor in its cost.
Consider the +1 bonus or penalty to other skills or resistance rolls, Power Defense (Using Super Blocks and parries from Powers) and ability to contribute to other types of magic use or defence in various ways.
Even Power Stunts are really offset by the base cost and should not factor into a higher base cost just for the option.
I think I will change it for my campaign after mulling the above over.
It means redoing my spells so I have Rank 1 to 10 instead of Rank 1 to 5 for the same base cost. Trade in my Pentaphillia for more variety in spell levels.
Some of those Rank 1 spells I really wanted weaker anyhow :)
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #60
Humabout

I'm thinking of just using ghostdancer's pricing scheme for an ability that just reduces the multiplier for greater effects, and keep control (magic) it's own separate advantage. I like the potential in keeping control (magic) separate from "just" ignoring greater effect multipliers.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

Tags
ritual path magic, rpm