Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 01-22-2019, 12:41 PM   #1
hcobb

Default Show me the money

The text and tables in the rulebook show an average of 10 XP and $20 per encounter.

You can easily double the direct treasure payout by collecting: http://www.hcobb.com/tft/magical_ingredients.html

Given that instant healing is $150 per point and lengthy healing is $7 per point how exactly are the players expected to save up enough to get anything?

Given that a hero can make $100 in a safe job, why go In the Labyrinth?
Old 01-22-2019, 12:53 PM   #2
Chris Rice

Default Re: Show me the money

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
The text and tables in the rulebook show an average of 10 XP and $20 per encounter.

You can easily double the direct treasure payout by collecting: http://www.hcobb.com/tft/magical_ingredients.html

Given that instant healing is $150 per point and lengthy healing is $7 per point how exactly are the players expected to save up enough to get anything?

Firstly, because I give more treasure than that in the Dungeon. Secondly, there are many other motivations for adventure than just direct looting; rescue the Princess, destroy the Evil Shrine, find the Magic Book, etc.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:54 PM   #3
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
Firstly, because I give more treasure than that in the Dungeon. Secondly, there are many other motivations for adventure than just direct looting; rescue the Princess, destroy the Evil Shrine, find the Magic Book, etc.
Do your players have bill paying patrons?
Old 01-22-2019, 03:22 PM   #4
Chris Rice

Quote:
Do your players have bill paying patrons?
Yes, sometimes I've used the "patron" or "reward" tropes in my games. I would think that's not unusual.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:46 PM   #5
Skarg

Quote:
What do you mean?

Seems to me that:

1) New ITL gives zero mechanical XP for encounters, just GM discretion XP. So XP per encounter is undefined in new ITL.

2) The encounter tables given in ITL are not some wonderful perfect thing to use all the time. They're just examples of what a table might look like in general. In practice (as I quickly found by using them for a long time back circa 1980), they're rather random and weird in what you'll tend to get from them how often.

3) The ITL random encounter tables mostly do not specify how much value the people you encounter have on them. Which brings me to:

Quote:
Are you only talking about the value of organs, to equipped/skilled organ harvesters?

If so, yes, it's not generally very much, unless you can get the human brains fresh to the Wizard's Guild for $200 each - in which case, if you can pull that off, there's the money.

But really, the money in our experience was often in looting the groups of hostile humanoids. Unless they're impoverished, they probably have enough coin to be travelling (buying food and lodging) plus gear and/or animals and since there are few wire transfer services, are often carrying some wealth.

Quote:

Healing potion was usually rare and a rich adventurer's last resort. It certainly wasn't part of an accountant-approved plan to increase net worth.

Often there was some sort of reason to be going into a "Labyrinth" or other adventure destination that involved some sort of money and/or patron arrangement. And, powerful people at adventure destinations tended to have good gear and some valuables, maybe even some magic stuff.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:06 PM   #6
Skarg

$50 per human eye, too, so that's $300 in potential organ harvest per human (as well as whatever you can loot from them), also the most common thing on most encounter tables.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 12:18 PM   #7
mark hill

HA organ salvage, hilarious! .. how does one preserve organs all the way to town when one is 2 weeks in the bush? I guess wizards maybe dont need em quite as fresh as guys trying to do a transplant .. a bag of bloody human components is bound to attract wolves, or worse
mark hill is offline   Reply With Quote