Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-15-2020, 11:12 AM   #11
Shostak

Default Re: thrown weapons and facing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
ITL 106: "A physical attack made from an enemy’s side hex adds +2 to the attacker’s DX."

So you only get the facing bonus from an adjacent hex. It doesn't matter which hexes the dagger flies through from there.
Then why specifically mention that missile weapons don't benefit from facing bonuses--just for that edge-case when a figure moves to be adjacent to a missile weapon user and then turns to give them a side or rear hex target? That would be uncharacteristically fastidious compared to the rest of the rules.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 11:14 AM   #12
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Then why specifically mention that missile weapons don't benefit from facing bonuses--just for that edge-case when a figure moves to be adjacent to a missile weapon user and then turns to give them a side or rear hex target? That would be uncharacteristically fastidious compared to the rest of the rules.
I could make the case that a bow is a little clumsy close up, but if I had a pistol I could see the difference from shooting someone in the back at point blank range.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:54 PM   #13
Axly Suregrip

In the Legacy GM screen in the "DX Adjustments for Physical Attacks" section,
which does include some bonuses for missile weapons so it is not excluding thrown or missile, it states "Striking from enemy's rear +4" and "Striking from enemy's side +2".

Striking to me is rather clear. It is not throwing and it is not missile attacks.

Thus I would not give facing bonuses to thrown weapons.

(BTW, we have argued this before and I came down on the other side back then. I have played it both ways and the above to me makes the most sense. http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...=163082&page=2 )
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:52 AM   #14
Skarg

I can think of various realism and logic arguments for why one might want to play any of these combinations of situations and effects one way or the other. But this isn't the house rules forum.

For RAW, my impression is that the intention is that facing to-hit modifiers don't apply to ranged attacks. I see the letter-of-the-rules legal case, but I'm not convinced that's the intent. I think we probably need SJ to make an official statement on it to get agreement on RAW.

But again, for people who want to apply facing modifiers to ranged attacks, or even for the pretty clearly intended effect of protection from packs and shields worn on the back, we also need to know (i.e. agree when playing each game) which facing to apply for ranged/jab attacks that come in along the hex spines between side and rear.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:24 AM   #15
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
But again, for people who want to apply facing modifiers to ranged attacks, or even for the pretty clearly intended effect of protection from packs and shields worn on the back, we also need to know (i.e. agree when playing each game) which facing to apply for ranged/jab attacks that come in along the hex spines between side and rear.
I'd say that attacks along the spines seems dealt with with the diagram on ITL 106, extrapolating from the unshaded area in front of Tark, except that there is a hex (at the bottom of the 6th column from the right) that is shaded and probably ought not to be.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:32 AM   #16
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
I'd say that attacks along the spines seems dealt with with the diagram on ITL 106, extrapolating from the unshaded area in front of Tark, except that there is a hex (at the bottom of the 6th column from the right) that is shaded and probably ought not to be.
The attacks along the spine are figured in favor of the frontal hex in that diagram. I suppose you mean to extend this to side and rear hexes, one gives the spine hexes to the side.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:12 PM   #17
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
The attacks along the spine are figured in favor of the frontal hex in that diagram. I suppose you mean to extend this to side and rear hexes, one gives the spine hexes to the side.
Yes, that would follow the pattern established with the front hexes.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:10 AM   #18
Steve Plambeck

One logical interpretation when you are giving a jab through the rear hex +4 and a jab through a side hex +2, is to give a jab along the spine between rear and side hexes a +3.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:12 AM   #19
Shostak

But then you'd have to give +1 to attacks along the spine of the Font/Side hexes.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:14 AM   #20
hcobb

Is there a case that tossing a dagger from a long ways off gives the target more time to dodge?