Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-19-2015, 06:38 PM   #1
Chaorain

Default Supers Idea needed

I'm running a Supers game and one of my players is getting discouraged so I wanted to throw him a bone. His only power is Snatcher with the weapons only limitation. He also refused to take Reduced Time so it takes him a full minute per attempt. I'd like to come up with a scenario only he can solve.

For reference we have 5 PCs and 2 NPCs on the team.
1: our snatcher hero with the problem, primarily uses guns.
2: Plant boy, who throws things and makes plants grow.
3: Light boy, turns into light and hits things with a sword, intangible half the time.
4: Mr. Scientist, negates gravity
5: Hit Girl, a super athlete with a spear.

NPC1: research support, no combat ability.
NPC2: an annoying dependent of light boy, no relation to Ms. Snatcher.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Chaorain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:01 PM   #2
mehrkat

Default Re: Supers Idea needed

An impenetrable cage that light can't go through.

He could make an armor piercing bullet to make a hole if truly limited to just guns. Then light dude could fly through the hole now that light isn't blocked

If he can make an explosive bullet then he could possibly go through a hole.

You should consider letting him tweak his power though because honestly when weapons take a minute to get it takes a lot of the usefulness of being able to get a weapon when he wants
Old 11-19-2015, 07:19 PM   #3
mr beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaorain View Post
I'm running a Supers game and one of my players is getting discouraged so I wanted to throw him a bone. His only power is Snatcher with the weapons only limitation. He also refused to take Reduced Time so it takes him a full minute per attempt.
So he's discouraged about his power being limited but refuses to make his power less limited? Sounds like a player issue rather than a character issue.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:39 PM   #4
0B1-KN0B

Does this character have any skills that the other characters don't have? If so, try to build a scenario around those abilities. Or set up a scenario involving a null-power zone, so that any weapons the character has summoned remain intact while the other PCs can't use their powers.

And then have the player tweak that power build. A combat power that takes 60 combat rounds to be of use isn't much of a power. What was the character-concept that the player wanted to model here?
Old 11-19-2015, 09:09 PM   #5
Daigoro

I guess you could have a threat that the team gets a good warning about so he has enough time to plan and prepare an appropriate counter. Otherwise, they have to assault a base, again requiring prepping and planning.

Are the other players any good at dealing with mooks? If not, a mass of armoured mooks could possibly be better fodder for Gunboy.

Can the other players take out targets at long range? Highly armoured targets? Vehicles or fortifications?

Do super attacks have some kind of countermeasure, like a power dampening field? Then guns would be the only effective attack (still needing prep, of course).
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:24 PM   #6
Phantasm

I admit, I'm spitballing on this because every threat I could come up with, the others would have it captured or dead by the time the Snatcher is able to conjure a weapon to deal with it.

I'm curious, what explanation did the player give for not putting Reduced Time on his Snatcher?

Also, is he limited to modern weapons or can he do futuristic ones? If so, do the others have attacks that have armor divisors? I can see some threats that have lots of DR being the kind only he can take out, assuming he can conjure a laser or blaster rifle, or anything with an armor divisor really, that the others won't bypass. Even if limited to modern weapons, he could possibly conjure an AT-4 with HEAT warhead (nice AD (10) on that thing). The trick then is making sure he has time between seeing the threat and conjuring the weapon out of combat so he can use it. Giant robots controlled by some BBEG are nice for this.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:44 PM   #7
Buzzardo

Someone has stolen the potentially world-destroying prototype Handwavium Weapon. We know just the hero to get it back.

The bad guy is susceptible to only one weapon. Who's gonna get it?

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:40 AM   #8
Chaorain

Wow thanks everyone for all the help!

The player has a major problem in marking his characters one trick ponies. I practically begged him to take Reduced Time and he refused, instead he's takeing more levels to try and Snatch a howitzer. His original concept was to leave his used guns everywhere, that's it. As for skills, quite literally all she has are skills to shoot things. All of his items are permanent so they would survive a null-power zone. "Hit Girl" could also function inside one but she has Cursed so I can just drum up a reason to break her leg.

I'm thinking I could have a Gadgeteer show up in a tank with polarized windows and drop plans for a high tech gun, current TL is 8, the tank should be able to stop the other heroes and move slow enough that they would have plenty of warning. If I make it an electric tank then there wouldn't even be air holes.

I also gave the players to get a permanent boost to their powers, one use only. I'll try and force them to give it to this player so I can force Reduced Time on his character.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:09 AM   #9
Daigoro

How about a slight rewrite to make the power more flexible, using Alternative Abilities?

Say he currently has a 500 point Snatcher power. Change this to a 420 point Snatcher, with the required level of Reduced Time, then add a 400 point version of Snatcher with Extra Load (or whatever the "I can get a Howitzer" enhancement is) and as an Alternative Ability for 1/5 cost, making 80 points. If 400 points still isn't enough, then he could load that up with some extra limitations, such as Takes Extra Time.

Therefore in play, he could have his handguns instantly, or concentrate for 10 minutes to summon up an artillery piece.

Does that do the trick?
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:12 AM   #10
Chaorain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
How about a slight rewrite to make the power more flexible, using Alternative Abilities?

Say he currently has a 500 point Snatcher power. Change this to a 420 point Snatcher, with the required level of Reduced Time, then add a 400 point version of Snatcher with Extra Load (or whatever the "I can get a Howitzer" enhancement is) and as an Alternative Ability for 1/5 cost, making 80 points. If 400 points still isn't enough, then he could load that up with some extra limitations, such as Takes Extra Time.

Therefore in play, he could have his handguns instantly, or concentrate for 10 minutes to summon up an artillery piece.

Does that do the trick?
THAT IS GENIUS!!! I think the "Proper" way is to take a few levels writhe Reduced Time and some without, but that will probably solve most of the problems. Thank You!

Edit: Nevermind your way is correct. I thought Snatched had levels, it doesn't.

Last edited by Chaorain; 11-20-2015 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Rules error

Tags
combat, supers