Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
SithMasterZaid

Default What you can do before you die...

Just played a game where two players pretty much died one right after the other in random combats... they get to the point where they find out that no matter what they can do they're going to die by taking too many hits from monsters... both players threw out all their curses on other players and monster enhancers on random monsters wandering through the dungeon.

Is this allowed? Or once they find out they're going to die are they dead and their turn over?
Old 08-04-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
bonetm

Default Re: What you can do before you die...

If they have not died already, this is completely legal. If it's clear you are about to die, but you haven't yet rolled the die to Run Away, you can empty your hands from all Curses and Enhancers.
MiB: #1602
Old 08-04-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
MunchkinMan

You take one hit per monster regardless of whether you Run Away: You roll for combat. If you lose, you take your hits, then try to Run Away. If you are not dead after that, you can use a Healing Potion or such to restore some Health tokens back to red, but if some event which has already occurred and is going to make you dead, you can't play off a bunch of cards so they don't get lost.
MiB #1029
Old 08-05-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
SithMasterZaid

What about what bonetm said? That's legal right?
Old 08-05-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
SithMasterZaid

...like if you're fighting three monsters... you can't beat them... so you take your three hits... but you only have one left... you now have to run from all three... it looks very unlikely that you'll probably run away from all three successfully... you could play them before you run away right?

Now that I think of it... aren't curses and enhancers 'any time at all' cards anyways?
Old 08-05-2010, 10:02 AM   #6
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SithMasterZaid View Post
...like if you're fighting three monsters... you can't beat them... so you take your three hits... but you only have one left... you now have to run from all three... it looks very unlikely that you'll probably run away from all three successfully... you could play them before you run away right?
Well, you're acting as if every Monster's Bad Stuff includes taking a hit, which it does not. But, yes, you can chuck curses and such around while rolling to Run Away from the Monsters, however you can not fail to Run Away from a Monster that makes you lose cards from your hand then "stop" to play a Curse or two to prevent those cards from being lost. You must resolve the result of the failed attempt first.

Quote:
Now that I think of it... aren't curses and enhancers 'any time at all' cards anyways?
Yes, but once you are dead, they are no longer your cards to play, so "any time at all" doesn't matter then.
MiB #1029
Old 08-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #7
SithMasterZaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Well, you're acting as if every Monster's Bad Stuff includes taking a hit, which it does not. But, yes, you can chuck curses and such around while rolling to Run Away from the Monsters, however you can not fail to Run Away from a Monster that makes you lose cards from your hand then "stop" to play a Curse or two to prevent those cards from being lost. You must resolve the result of the failed attempt first.

Yes, but once you are dead, they are no longer your cards to play, so "any time at all" doesn't matter then.
Alrighty... awesome... you just proved to me that my friends are in fact douche bags! I told them they weren't allowed to do that... and my friend was saying... "No no no... I haven't knocked my guy over yet... he was basically just trying to make up something to allow him to throw all his enhancers on all my (green) monsters!"
Old 08-05-2010, 10:56 PM   #8
SithMasterZaid

Alright... I apologize in advance to keep stretching this out... I know you've answered this question already... BUT... my friend kinda does bring up a valid question.

There were like two or three monsters in his room when his turn started... he wasn't strong enough to beat them... so their combined numbers (hits) would have killed him! But he had a wandering monster card... he played it to make another monster appear in his own battle (so that there would be more monsters in the dungeon for the rest of us). Would he be allowed to do that?

Or is the rule more around the lines of only being allowed to play cards that can help you win or escape that battle?

I need absolutes... I'm a Sith... I only deal in such things!
Old 08-06-2010, 01:27 AM   #9
RevBob

Sure he can wander a new monster into his own combat, as long as he does so before the dice get rolled. Nothing says you always have to act in your character's best interests.

Piece of advice: MQ has enough rules already; don't borrow trouble by inventing new ones. For someone who professes to like absolutes, you sure do seem to like looking for "and then we cross the International Date Line" cases... ;)

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:29 AM   #10
SithMasterZaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBob View Post
Sure he can wander a new monster into his own combat, as long as he does so before the dice get rolled. Nothing says you always have to act in your character's best interests.

Piece of advice: MQ has enough rules already; don't borrow trouble by inventing new ones. For someone who professes to like absolutes, you sure do seem to like looking for "and then we cross the International Date Line" cases... ;)
I wish my brain didn't look into things so much sometimes... but I'm such a perfectionist that it drives me crazy... I should become some sort of editor!