Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 03-16-2014, 03:41 PM   #1
stanhalen

Default Curses and FIFO

Greetings all -

I'm a relatively new player and suspect this question has probably been answered, but I haven't been able to find a clear answer in the rules or FAQ by myself. I recently played a game with some friends where we came upon the following situation:

Player A loses in combat and rolls to flee. Failing the roll, Player A, currently a halfling, announces the use of the halfling racial ability to roll a second flee attempt. At this point, Player B announces the use of a curse that will remove Player A's race.

If FIFO is strict and things happen in the order they're announced, then I'm inclined to say that Player A's racial ability goes off first. However, in trying to determine if this is the correct resolution, I found this in the FAQ:

Quote:
Q. If you use a one-shot Item during combat and someone tries to make it disappear through Curse or Theft, do you get the bonus?
A. Theft doesn't work while you are in combat. Use of a Curse could destroy an Item as you try to use it, but once you play the Item into the fight, it's not yours to be Cursed anymore.
To me, this answer seems to imply that there is a "moment" after the usage of an item is announced where a curse can destroy the item before that item's effect has taken place. Is this correct? If so, does this situation bear any similarity the one I described above? Can a curse be used to counter a racial ability by removing the race after the use of the ability has been announced but before the effect of the ability has occurred?

I hope all of this makes sense. I appreciate any and all attempts to help me make sense of this.
stanhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Curses and FIFO

I'm ruling that the Run Away attempt must be completed before the Curse can take effect, and that includes using the Halfling ability to reroll the attempt, if the player chooses to do so.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
Bubbles21112

Well...I was wrong in my thought. I've always took it as the rules state curses are immediate. :p
Bubbles21112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:25 PM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles21112 View Post
Well...I was wrong in my thought. I've always took it as the rules state curses are immediate. :p
The only effects in Munchkin that can interrupt other actions (or have a retroactive effect) usually say they "cancel" something, or say "even if X has already happened."

Timing isn't often an issue in Munchkin, but when it is, you resolve any actions already in progress before carrying on to the next.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class, curse, fleeing, race, resolution of events