Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 02-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default [OCC] Lost in Dreams

Lost in Dreams

You don't know why it happens. But eventually, it always does, and you end up naked, lost, and amid the craziest situations. You must use your wits to make do where ever you may end up, lost across the worlds.

This is a one character campaign, focusing on a world jumper who cannot control his ability. The ability in question is as follows:

Jumper (world, New worlds +50%, Naked -30%, Uncontrollable -10%, Unconscious only -20%, skill roll is dreaming, only when sleeping -20%, requires Immediate Preparation 1 hour -75%, cosmic +50%, Drift -15%) [30]

The game emphasis will be on roleplaying and exploration, as the dreamer is carried by the whims of fate across various worlds. Survival will be an issue, but its more about adapting to the new situation. As a general rule the world won't switch until the current situation is over. The character will be from our world (or a close parallel), at TL 8. He doesn't start with any supernatural advantages selected by the player (but actually has a suite of "base" advantages).

The character should start out with a fairly plausible back story, and background. No hard bitten survivalists please. I'll balk at anything more "well suited" than a surgeon who happens to be a old-fashioned gunsmith and loves to hunt (I actually know one, so thats why the line is there). The character will progress fairly rapidly, and we can have some good fun as skills are picked up from world to world. All sorts of worlds be visited, from high fantasy to Steam Punk to prehistoric survival to Nazi victory to robot apocalypse.

build the character on 100 points. The disad limit is "make him fun". Emphasis should be placed on well rounded attributes and good social advantages: you'll need to make a LOT of friends. an additional 10 points may be spent on "Flavor skills", things that are completely random and probably won't be useful, and certainly not on most worlds. For example, clerical investment, game (football), connisuer (wine), or security clearance.

Social and Financial advantages are at 40% normal cost. They will only reflect bearing, attitude, and background: it will be harder to pass yourself off as a somebody if you naturally have low status, and wealth will be something a prerequisite for things like merchant.

cinematic skills aren't available except in play.

The following advantages are free:
  • Luck (Game time) [15],
  • Serendipidy [15],
  • Jumper [30],
  • Magery 0 [5],
  • Talent 1 (gizmo power)[5],
  • Detect (supernatural phenomenon) [20]

please note the character is unaware of these, and can only improve these abilities in play or with earned points. I in fact give no guarantee on what magic systems will be seen.

The following disadvantages are already taken:
  • Weirdness Magnet[-15]
  • Dead Broke (Only after jumps -40%)[-15]

You will be able to improve the you jumper by removing Unconscious Only, drifting, then naked, and you will be able to add some abilities as well. Uncontrollable, preparation, and only when sleeping are permanently part of the ability (and plot).

PLAYERS:
Elijah Wilder (inactive)
Bartholomew Dreslong (inactive)
Koli Jormun (inactive)
Edumund Price (inactive)
Jacob Miller (inactive)
Paedrig Adams (inactive)
Vladamir Chenkov (inactive)
Stephen Cirega (inactive)
Lucy Silver (inactive)
Chandra Morgan
Melissa Moon
Graham Danielson
Tereza Jelnek
Jordan Smith

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 10-20-2014 at 04:53 PM.
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
Talosian

Default Re: [OCC] Lost in Dreams

Interested, and creating a character.

New Worlds is a +50% enhancement, making the Jumper ability 30 pts.

So, to clarify the character is built on 100 pts, + 10 pts for random flavor skills, and you add the 60 point package of advantages and disadvantages on top, making the character total at 170, correct?
Talosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talosian View Post
Interested, and creating a character.

New Worlds is a +50% enhancement, making the Jumper ability 30 pts.

So, to clarify the character is built on 100 pts, + 10 pts for random flavor skills, and you add the 60 point package of advantages and disadvantages on top, making the character total at 170, correct?
Correct. Thanks for catching new worlds error. I'm looking forward to seeing the character.

Others keep submitting though... I may be able to run multiple versions of this (different worlds, so not really multiple versions...)

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 02-21-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
zoncxs

I am also interested. would you be fine with the following?

Jack of all trades talent

Artifact Lore (DF 11 p.17) and maybe a variation of this for places?

Improvisation (DF 11 p.17)

this is mostly cause when I heard world hopping and the places I might end up my first thought was "I want to make someone like DR. WHO" :D
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
I am also interested. would you be fine with the following?

Jack of all trades talent

Artifact Lore (DF 11 p.17) and maybe a variation of this for places?

Improvisation (DF 11 p.17)

this is mostly cause when I heard world hopping and the places I might end up my first thought was "I want to make someone like DR. WHO" :D
I don't have access to DF and I don't think I have access to "jack of all trades talent". could you explain the gist of each?

Artifact Lore sounds like something you'd pick up through game play, not at the beginning though. We're starting with the first jump, when the jumper knows nothing about the worlds beyond his own--- including magic, psi, ect.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
Talosian

Okay, I'm finished with my prototype of the character. I'll probably refine it later today, and post it either tonight or tomorrow.

Before I get around to writing up the whole character sheet, I figure I should ask if you have GCS (Gurps Character Sheet, awesome little utility for making characters).

Character is pretty loosely based off of a friend of mine. Built with a high IQ, musical skills, engineering skills, lots of low level miscellaneous science skills, a little bit of martial arts, plus some utility skills that I added in to give him some survival ability :P
Talosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:16 PM   #7
Poonbahbah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Charming (and also Mr. Stuart, who was hoping for a break) looks a little disappointed that the shield will be up most of the time, but agrees to it readily enough.

Tereza tries to keep herself steady, but finds herself looking at the woman one too many times*. Mr. Stuart leans forward "Is something bothering you miss? you seem really nervous."

*given her profession, she really needs to put more points in acting.
Did you use luck on the acting roll or had luck already been used that day?
______

Her profession?
  • Acting-17
  • Performance-16
  • Singing-21
  • Public speaking-22
  • Stage combat-13
I think she's well qualified for her profession of entertainer. Unfortunately she finds herself trying to play the spy much to much now a days. So it will definitely be something I up if i've got extra points after getting eidetic memory. Now if only it didn't cost 4 points to up as I understand the default rules. So much better to put 4 points into public speaking in order to up it plus a whole slew of other skills.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:20 PM   #8
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poonbahbah View Post
Did you use luck on the acting roll or had luck already been used that day?
______

Her profession?
  • Acting-17
  • Performance-16
  • Singing-21
  • Public speaking-22
  • Stage combat-13
I think she's well qualified for her profession of entertainer. Unfortunately she finds herself trying to play the spy much to much now a days. So it will definitely be something I up if i've got extra points after getting eidetic memory. Now if only it didn't cost 4 points to up as I understand the default rules. So much better to put 4 points into public speaking in order to up it plus a whole slew of other skills.
I've got acting listed as a default from 11 -- which sheet are you using? I'm using this one. I think we made some changes related to reaction bonuses not adding to influence skills....

Old 01-27-2015, 06:09 PM   #9
Poonbahbah

We're using the same sheet.

As I understand it* bonuses from advantages aren't added to skills until after defaults would be calculated from them. With 8 points in public speaking she has a base skill of 12. Acting has a default of public speaking-5 for 7. After that's figured out we can add talents. +10 to public speaking from charisma, voice, & born entertainer bringing it up to 22. Acting only gets +4 from born entertainer bringing it up to11. Make sense?
____

*You May recall from Space Ruins' character creation where Matrix Walker set me straight on this. I could also of sworn I asked you about fixing my defaults but I'm having trouble finding the post.

I used to have defaults based off of skills including talents so her acting was 22-5=17. Minus an extra two if voice wasn't applying or some such.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:16 PM   #10
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poonbahbah View Post
We're using the same sheet.

As I understand it* bonuses from advantages aren't added to skills until after defaults would be calculated from them. With 8 points in public speaking she has a base skill of 12. Acting has a default of public speaking-5 for 7. After that's figured out we can add talents. +10 to public speaking from charisma, voice, & born entertainer bringing it up to 22. Acting only gets +4 from born entertainer bringing it up to11. Make sense?
Yes, it does, and I remember all that. the 22 and 11 sound right. Yeah, she needs to put a point in acting. Do you have any points lying around?

Tags
lost in dreams