Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-27-2020, 08:19 PM   #11
Say, it isn't that bad!

Default Re: Dodging Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
By RAW, Permeation can only affect solid materials.
At sufficient velocity, water is a solid.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:37 PM   #12
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
At sufficient velocity, water is a solid.
Irrelevant to the state of the matter, it is still in a liquid phase. By your logic you can have permeation (air) because at high enough velocity, air acts as a solid.

Does that mean I disagree? Nah. Permeation (water) would be a cool power, letting rain go through you, being able to walk through a river with no resistance, fighting against hydroman and laughing at him since all his attacks phase through you. Awesome.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:39 PM   #13
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
Irrelevant to the state of the matter, it is still in a liquid phase. By your logic you can have permeation (air) because at high enough velocity, air acts as a solid.

Does that mean I disagree? Nah. Permeation (water) would be a cool power, letting rain go through you, being able to walk through a river with no resistance, fighting against hydroman and laughing at him since all his attacks phase through you. Awesome.
Ah, but the phase of matter is not an absolute; rather, it is a function of pressure and temperature. So because water acts as a solid at sufficient velocity, water is a solid at sufficient velocity.

QED, all you need to do to use Permeation on water is be moving around 200 miles per hour.

You can't argue with math. :D
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:23 PM   #14
Daigoro

Immunity to Meteorologic Hazards?

I want to say it's a technique of Light Walk, "Stepping Between the Raindrops", as being a ninja-style schtick, but the mechanics are a bit different.

Otherwise, on the Perks front, it's close to the perk for cinematically keeping your clothes clean.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 11:54 PM   #15
Black Leviathan

If I was going to seriously rule this it would be supressing fire, Somewhere between 50-100 rain drops per second in your 2 Hex space with a RCL of 1 so probably a dozen or so hits each turn. Rain is difficult to see so maybe reasonably a -2 to your dodge roll, so roll 14 under dodge and you pull it off.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:14 AM   #16
Dingle

If you got to dodge 30 with enhanced dodge, a roll of 16 would be 14 below your dodge score, allowing you to dodge rain reliably if you go with Black Leviathan's calculations.
Dingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:46 AM   #17
whswhs

I'm going to say that Dodge just doesn't work. The plausible way to treat substantial rain is as an Area Attack. And you can't "dodge" area attacks in the ordinary sense of the word. You have to be able to retreat out of the affected area, which means you need a high enough Move to get you there, and you're going to have to start before the rain reaches a significant rate.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:39 AM   #18
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
While you could walk through a river without resistance* (holding your breath), it wouldn't do much to help you with Hydroman's attacks. Unless you make a "power dodge," Permeation doesn't phase you fast enough to avoid damage. Arguably, you could slip out of a grapple but that's about it.

It's a somewhat silly power, and I still think it's at best worth a perk for just rain. Especially if you had Permeation (Snow, Ice) and Aquatic (Permeate water -50%).

*It's cheaper than Aquatic, but you're limited to having something to walk on (usually the bottom) in any body of water. That seems fair for -50%.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:25 AM   #19
Plane

One factor that should probably be kept in mind for rapid fire bursting (which you might envision raindrops as being) is that even if someone is quick enough to dodge an unlimited amount of successful raindrops (one following after another at random angles) if equidistant raindrops were advancing toward a target, they would take up locations on a moving 2D plane which you would need to contort around.

To explain what I mean would be easier done with a "giant raindrops" scenario.

I can't do easy math with hexagons so let's envision a 10ftx10ft square which you can't get out of (you're trapped in a box).

If raindrops had a bottom area of 1ftx1ft (for this purpose it is somehow a "square raindrop") then rain drops which fell exactly in time with each other (same distance from ground) would gradually occupy that 10x10ft square, up to the point where if there are 100 rain drops, they are all "shoulder to shoulder" leaving absolutely no way to avoid them without exiting the square.

That kind of "can't dodge without leaving the square" is like your traditional AE (fire everywhere! water everywhere!) whereas 1-99 drops at a time is more like a Bombardment AE where there actually IS room to dodge...

But even if there IS room to dodge, the question remains, is 1 raindrop width enough space for you to move through?

A human probably can't contort themself into a 1ftx1ft square (shoulders too wide) meaning their SM would prevent them fromdoing it. Even from -1SM or less who might hypothetically fit into that region, higher SM creatures shoul have a harder time of it than lower SM creatures.

That might be reflected somehow in the bonus given to hit higher SM things.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote