Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-27-2020, 10:35 PM   #31
Varyon

Default Re: Ki Slash; or, ranged sword strikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
I missed the original post. Having gone back and read it, I really like many of the ideas in it.

In the above example that would let you use your regular Broadsword skill at a range for 11 points and without a fatigue cost for 21 points. My only concern is how much more effective this is than Project Blow.
It's not unlikely Imbuements overcharges for the abilities, much as Magic undoubtedly overcharges for some of the spells (although I think in both cases you can use a Talent to get around this, but only with a lot of relevant skills). As you note, it costs [11] to buy Distant Strike up to the extent of being able to hit at Range equal to ST for the cost of 1 FP, or [21] to be able to disregard that FP cost. With ST-Based +100%, you could buy an attack that deals sw+2d-2 cut with Range 30 (if you allow Max to be bought down independently of 1/2D, that's where they equal out) for [20], likely getting better functionality than the above Technique and not even needing a weapon; if the comparable Imbuement skill costs more for less effect, it's hard to say the Imbuement pricing is fair. I feel my variant probably gets closer to a fair cost, at least in a campaign where one has the ability to purchase Innate Attacks and the like.

Of course, you may notice in the linked thread that I capped the effect of points spent on the Technique to half the penalty, for fear that not doing so could lead to abuse. I honestly don't think this is necessary, however, particularly given the above analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
I think I missed most of that one. It looks like a good place for Trained by a Master/Weapon master; to either halve the default penalty, or allow the use in the first place.
Indeed; as noted in the thread, TbaM/WM can be used as a prerequisite to being able to use and learn the Cinematic Techniques (and Magery or similar would typically be required to learn the Supernatural Techniques), but that's completely optional.