Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-05-2020, 06:42 PM   #11
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: How can I nullify limitations on an advantage?

The only problem that I see with the build is that my version is cheaper and more effective (unless the character possesses super-human ST). If you want the character to take a second before they use maximum power, just have them usually take a one turn Evaluate maneuver before using maximum power unless they are really injured. In addition, Extra Effort would be more effective with my version because it possesses four levels rather than two levels.

I would actually have the gloves possessing multiple settings rather than the character possessing multiple gloves. For example, a Fatigue Attack 4d (Melee, C, Dual Attack, -20%; Variable, +5%) [34] would be a 7 CP AA for the Charged Fist. Since they are AAs of an attack, you could switch them up as a free action between the attacks of a DWA or Rapid Strike.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 07:05 PM   #12
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallatari View Post
The 1 turn to switch between AA does not apply when switching between two attack abilities
Good point, and apropos. I often forget about that exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Alternative limitations is another option.
Sounds good. Where do I find the rule? I found Alternative Enhancements in PU4, but PU8 just has the regular AA rule. Lots of other places it might have appeared, though.

I'm guessing it works along the lines of AA and Alt. Enhancements, except you're decreasing the value of the largest Limitation by 1/5 of each of the others? Either/Or would be a special case for an AL group of size two, so the math wouldn't match. But I suppose you can just use the Either/Or meta-rule, and have your choice of either E/O or AL, but not both in the same game :)
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:03 PM   #13
Plane

is -5% for 1 second prep a custom? I can't remember it going that low?

I'm guessing pricing is less than Takes Extra Time (TET being analagous to "immediate preparation required" except it could just be readies instead of concentrates) since you can stock it and hold it prepped indefinitely (just as long as there's only one ability with Prep Required)
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:24 AM   #14
oneofmanynameless

Modifiers modifying modifiers.

Just apply Accessibility (not while low on health) to Takes Extra Time. I'm not totally sure what I'd price that accessibility at, but saying it's a -30% it would reduce Takes Extra Time 1 from -10% to -7%. Then the need for the extra second disappears the moment the accessibility is met.

(and RAW you should use Takes Extra Time 1 to add a 1 second wind up to an attack, as per what Plane said, above.)
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:33 AM   #15
oneofmanynameless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Sounds good. Where do I find the rule? I found Alternative Enhancements in PU4, but PU8 just has the regular AA rule. Lots of other places it might have appeared, though.

I'm guessing it works along the lines of AA and Alt. Enhancements, except you're decreasing the value of the largest Limitation by 1/5 of each of the others? Either/Or would be a special case for an AL group of size two, so the math wouldn't match. But I suppose you can just use the Either/Or meta-rule, and have your choice of either E/O or AL, but not both in the same game :)
I've tried to figure out how to use Alternate (abilities/enhancements) for disads and for limiters a number of times but it never works out in a way I like. I'd love to see an official ruling on it. The closest thing I've ever gotten was buying both disads/limiters and then buying off both disads/limiters and applying the alternate abilities to the buy off. Which works basically how you said.

Something about it irked me on an intuitive level and my friend who is also a GM didn't like how the points worked out though so I eventually abandoned it in favor of buying whichever of the disads/limiters I considered to be the "default" level and then buying off that disad and applying temporary modifiers and switchable to the buy off.
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote