Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-09-2020, 11:37 AM   #471
Anders

Default Re: Steve Jackson Games' GURPS 2020 PDF Challenge

Although it would really have been better if you had timed it to end on July 27th...
Old 07-09-2020, 11:38 AM   #472
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Why, yes! Yes it is! And if this Kickstarter works and my Secret Masters want another 10-page set of templates for a team, I'd be happy to write it.
Depending on how it looks I'd like the title to be more something like GURPS Professions: Starship Crew instead of GURPS Template Toolkit 3: Starship Crew.

Just feels cleaner and more descriptive, wheras the current implies more about tools to build crew people.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:49 AM   #473
Proteus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Depending on how it looks I'd like the title to be more something like GURPS Professions: Starship Crew instead of GURPS Template Toolkit 3: Starship Crew.

Just feels cleaner and more descriptive, wheras the current implies more about tools to build crew people.
To me, *Professions* would give minimum specs: skill 12 in this or that, Rank so-and-so.

*Templates* describe envelopes within which to fashion *individuals* who hold those professions.

And, from what Kromm has said, the latter is exactly what TT3 actually is.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:51 AM   #474
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Although it would really have been better if you had timed it to end on July 27th...
Yes! What better way to celebrate the fall of King Macbeth?

Unless you meant the anniversary of the Jesuits landing in Japan?
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:58 AM   #475
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Yes! What better way to celebrate the fall of King Macbeth?

Unless you meant the anniversary of the Jesuits landing in Japan?
Kromm's birthday.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:25 PM   #476
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Kromm's birthday.
Looks like I need to go update the Wikipedia page for the day.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:28 PM   #477
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
To me, *Professions* would give minimum specs: skill 12 in this or that, Rank so-and-so.

I would find this more useful. I'd have a ready-made npc and I could show it to any player interested in the profession and tell him to use it as a starting point.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:59 PM   #478
Empada

well, it will be a litle long, I couldn't answer all of it on time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Wait for the campaign to end. During that time, publicising it will help it along. A few weeks later the Backerkit survey will be ready. That will connect your Kickstarter ID to your Warehouse 23 ID. Then, once the PDFs are ready, they will appear in your Warehouse 23 library, and you can download them.
thanks for the answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
Idea for a GURPS 2020 PDF CHALLENGE CHALLENGE

While we wait for the Kickstarter to wind up lets match wits....

Devise and post your best spend of the $99.00 reward and show what you would buy to best complement/get the most out of the 12 PDFs with the $125.00 total.

Two Categories:

1) You already own the Basic Set.

2) You have no GURPS material at all.

Let's allow for going over limit but only by the smallest amount possible for the buy so highest priced items come out of the budget first.

Who wants to take a swing at this?
this is a good topic to discuss about, but I think that deserves it's own thread. try to talk about it here won't work, I think.

I would like to see sugestions on what spend money...

Quote:
If somebody really dropped $1.5 million on this, it would be the "Kromm's dead body in your attic" level, as I'd probably drop dead from some sort of shock.
I didn't find the original post about it, so I will get from here.

I think a better pledge reward would be Kromm GM a campaing for you and your friends, instead Kromm(dead or alive) writing in your attic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pestigor View Post
I’m a firm believer in there’s no BADWRONGFUN but this illustrates why it’s so difficult to write and profitably publish adventures for Gurps.
Half the things listed here would never occur to me to put in a horror adventure I was writing for my group. While in another group Horror means less than 100 points, and another might assume Magic and or Psi.
I think a “grab bag” like this is a great way to get adventures out there.
For instance I don’t care for Dungeon Fantasy but I’m interested in looting that DF adventure for ideas. At this price point if it’s gone through the Gurps editing process and has Gurps on the cover, I’ll use something in it somewhere.

Personally I’m looking forward to the 2020 stakeholders report and seeing something for Gurps meeting and (I hope) surpassing expectations.
It’s been so long since really good Gurps news in those reports (thanks for leveling with us gamers BTW)
I agree, you get more pdfs in a kickstarter, you get more adventures for GURPS as a whole, and it can be profitable for an adventure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Ladder View Post
I guess I jumped the gun on saying if the adventures included pregens. The DF adventure is probably easier to just plop a PC down in and play because the previous DF books gives us world assumptions: magic, TL 3-ish gear, gonna need combat focused PCs.

But the Horror genre probably needs some more than just “150-200 points, go!”. Does the adventure assume magic/psi? Monster fighting ability? Is there Civilization nearby and can “Authorities” be called upon or is that a No Go option ? Should PCs have guns/cars/computers? Are Supernatural traits smiled upon or frowned at?

I guess I’m more asking the authors if they had included some general advice on what players should swing points for.

Seeing some blog-based pregens would be excellent!
Quote:
Interesting idea, but pre-generated PCs have an exceedingly poor track record as for-profit products for RPG publishers in general. In the wired world, people kind of expect their heroes for nothing and their stats for free. That's because it's too easy to visit a forum and ask for characters . . . and you'll get them from many different gamers, which means they'll be more diverse than those from one writer.

I'd be open to including more for GURPS Supporting Cast (groups of related NPCs, with story and background) and GURPS Template Toolkit (balanced sets of templates for creating teams of PCs with preexisting links) among the offerings. I wouldn't go so far as to make an entire Kickstarter about that, though . . . plenty of gamers don't have any use for NPCs, templates, or characters in general, so we wouldn't enjoy 2,000+ backers. To get that we have to offer other things as well – a good spread of stuff including adventures, backgrounds and locations, gear, and genre and rules advice.
one option could be: the people on the forum makes PCs for the adventures, we vote which deserves to be included in an official pdf (something in the way of the combat cards or skills categories). the others go to a blog or other non-official pdf.

if an official pdf is not possible a non-official pdf and/or a blog post.

and...

congratulations! all pdfs unlocked!
Empada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 01:15 PM   #479
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empada View Post
one option could be: the people on the forum makes PCs for the adventures, we vote which deserves to be included in an official pdf (something in the way of the combat cards or skills categories). the others go to a blog or other non-official pdf.
I fear that would be a huge hazzle to administrate. Remember, someone has to vet all the builds and keep track of the votes. And there may well be hundreds of prospective PCs to sort through.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:17 PM   #480
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Is it just me, or are pledges accelerating now that all 12 have been unlocked?

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdf challenge