Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-01-2020, 06:22 AM   #11
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: The Kerguelen Skerry [Infinite Worlds]

So its a land that doesn't exist on most maps claimed by Australia and ruled by green-skinned magic using women?

Oz, anyone?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:35 AM   #12
AlexanderHowl

Kerguelen is actually owned by France in OTL.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:07 PM   #13
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Kerguelen is actually owned by France in OTL.
But Heard Island and the McDonald Islands are Australian, and they are part of that area as well (farther south)

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:41 AM   #14
arcanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Hmmm....
  • Is there something about the island, their diet, or the local ecology that produces the magery effect? That sounds like something infinity would love to research.
Love this idea, a mineral in the Island/Landmasses soil which passes into livestock and crops, that after successive generations enhances the ability to manipulate mana linked with certain genes denotes a natural spellcaster or one who requires training.

I can see that as being an incentive for Infinity or Paralabs to overcome the difficulty of entering or leaving the Skerry.
arcanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:01 AM   #15
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanus View Post
Love this idea, a mineral in the Island/Landmasses soil which passes into livestock and crops, that after successive generations enhances the ability to manipulate mana linked with certain genes denotes a natural spellcaster or one who requires training.

I can see that as being an incentive for Infinity or Paralabs to overcome the difficulty of entering or leaving the Skerry.
The OP has specified that mana does not exist in te skerry. He might want this to mean that their brand of RPM will work everywhere but I find this unlikely. There are places in IW where even psi doesn't work. Most likely is that Kerguelen RPM works nowhere else.

That I can tell, the real attraction is the chance to get dates with girls with green skins. Shame that they're going to e bundled head to toe in sealskins. :)
Old 08-02-2020, 10:39 AM   #16
arcanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
The OP has specified that mana does not exist in te skerry. He might want this to mean that their brand of RPM will work everywhere but I find this unlikely. There are places in IW where even psi doesn't work. Most likely is that Kerguelen RPM works nowhere else.

That I can tell, the real attraction is the chance to get dates with girls with green skins. Shame that they're going to e bundled head to toe in sealskins. :)
That’s a good point, I’ll rephrase with the avenue of research potentially being around whether there’s an environmental factor to the reality altering RPM, might be unique to the skerry but Infinity might be willing to invest - possible more so if it’s mana independent...

As well as the Green Skinned ladies of course :)
arcanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:47 AM   #17
AlexanderHowl

In my mind, mana interferes with their version of RPM, with a cumulative -5 to skill per mana level above no mana (-5 for low, -10 for normal, -15 for high, and -20 for very high), as mana distorts reality. While their RPM could work without difficulty on Homeline (though Infinity does not know that yet), it would have real problems in the Merlin parallels. The -10 to traveling is a massive problem, especially since the traveller always end up in the Kerguelen Islands.

An interesting idea that occurred to me would be if a female Mule of Reich-5 escaped to the Kerguelen Skerry with a Armanean Order scouting backpack that included technical manuals on how to create simple TL5+ tools for survival and trade. Having experienced the horrors of the Armanean Order, she would likely spread the tales of horror concerning the Reich-5. The Temples would probably ask her to translate the technical manual into the Kerguelen language after she learned the language, allowing them to quickly spread the knowledge for creating TL5+ items throughout their civilization. If anyone from Reich-5 stumbled onto the Kerguelen Skerry, they would encounter a particularly hostile population of green-skinned humans with inexplicable magic.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:45 AM   #18
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
And smell strongly of cabbage

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 12:16 PM   #19
AlexanderHowl

The Kerguelen Cabbage would likely be a minor species on the subcontinent, as it would have a lot of competition.