Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
Nameless One

Default Enhancing Healing advantage - Am I doing it right?

I'm trying to create a Healing advantage which can also remove temporary paralysis or blindness or cure poison. My calculations are as follows:

Healing (base cost 30, Anything Alive +80%, 1/day -40%, can remove paralysis +30%, can remove blindness +30%, can cure poison +40%) [72]

I'm especially interested if the last 3 enhancements are correctly priced. I reasoned that since not being able to cure disease is -40%, poisons which are about as frequent and as dire as diseases should be +40%. Paralysis and blindness are a little less frequent and less dangerous so I priced them at +30% each.

Is this a correct approach or did I miss something?
Nameless One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: Enhancing Healing advantage - Am I doing it right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless One View Post
Is this a correct approach or did I miss something?
Do you have GURPS Powers? I think there's a "Can Cure Afflictions" Enhancement in it, for Healing, that's something like +50%. If I'm remembering it correctly, it's a lot less costly than your +30%+30%+40% solutio.

Other than that, would you like me to check your "math" of your writeup, or are you confident there? (I didn't check your "math", but will do it if you ask.)
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
munin

Cure Affliction is +60% (p. P51) and allows Healing to remove any condition you could afflict (including paralysis and blindness). If you can only remove certain afflictions, that would be a limitation on the enhancement (p. B111).

The Healing advantage can already cure poison just by healing the damage it has already caused. See Psionic Powers, p. 14.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
Nameless One

Thanks, Peter, I did look at Powers but I failed to find that enhancement. Now it's no problem when I know what to look for. It's quite confusing, though, so I guess I'll have to go through the whole Powers just like I did with Characters before I continue making my advantages. Guess I'll have to add Affects Self as well.

I think my math is ok, but thanks for the offer.
Nameless One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless One View Post
Thanks, Peter, I did look at Powers but I failed to find that enhancement. Now it's no problem when I know what to look for. It's quite confusing, though, so I guess I'll have to go through the whole Powers just like I did with Characters before I continue making my advantages. Guess I'll have to add Affects Self as well.

If you can afford to buy GCA (or if the 4E edition of GCA allows a trial period; I don't remember) you can use that as a shortcut. Each Advantage in the GCA data files, including Healing, has a list of modifiers that are particular to it, as opposed to generic modifiers (which you can access to apply via some other way), and I'm pretty sure that includes the +60% Heals Afflictions Enhancement for Healing, if you load up the GURPS Powers data set.

So that's a shortcut meaning you won't have to read Powers through a dozen times to memorize everything. Still, IIRC the Heals Afflictions Enhancement is under theHealing entry in GURPS Powers, so it's easy to spot and located right where it makes the most sense.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage, blindness, healing, paralysis, poison