Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-30-2018, 12:35 AM   #1
VonKatzen
Banned

Default Spaceships: Where is Ammunition Cost?

Where in Spaceships is the cost of ammunition listed? I found the table that lists shot per ton, costs per unconventional warhead but I can't find the cost of ammunition and missiles themselves.
I used the search function and went through every single instance of 'Missile' and 'Ammunition' in the Basic Set and Spaceships and have found no information on this.

Edit: I figured it out. I had used my PDF editor to correct the errata and had accidentally covered up that information under the table.

An interesting point, though: if you're making big missiles there's no point in making them non-nuclear/non-antimatter. For 112cm missiles it's 1/40th or 1/20th cost increase per missile to make it a ten megaton weapon. This might factor into the calculation of a navy, but for an individual ship there's basically no downside to using nukes if your missiles are already big.

Last edited by VonKatzen; 03-30-2018 at 12:59 AM.
VonKatzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:59 AM   #2
weby

Default Re: Spaceships: Where is Ammunition Cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonKatzen View Post
An interesting point, though: if you're making big missiles there's no point in making them non-nuclear/non-antimatter. For 112cm missiles it's 1/40th or 1/20th cost increase per missile to make it a ten megaton weapon. This might factor into the calculation of a navy, but for an individual ship there's basically no downside to using nukes if your missiles are already big.
Except possible legality.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:09 AM   #3
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
And safety. From a session a couple of weeks ago, "I hope nobody on the planet was looking this way." Just after 5 10MT AM warheads had gone off.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:14 AM   #4
Ulzgoroth

And fratricide. Nukes give you +1 to rcl because they tend to kill each other (p60), which is actually kind of a big deal.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:55 PM   #5
VonKatzen
Banned

Yeah, you'd need the room to use them and not get the death sentence in twelve systems. But assuming you have both that's a huge power increase for just a little bit of cash.
VonKatzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:19 AM   #6
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
Probably not that big a deal, because they're likely to see use:
  • In High-Sec and Low-Sec by militaries, which means yes they can legally have nukes and will use them if their use is strategically beneficial. But most of the time High-Sec doesn't have combats in the first place anyway.
  • In Null-Sec, in which case legality is irrelevant.
And if you ban high-sec ships going to null-sec armed with nukes, then only null-sec residents will have nukes, tipping the chances of encounters towards the nullsec'ers' favour.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:47 AM   #7
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Probably not that big a deal, because they're likely to see use:
  • In High-Sec and Low-Sec by militaries, which means yes they can legally have nukes and will use them if their use is strategically beneficial. But most of the time High-Sec doesn't have combats in the first place anyway.
  • In Null-Sec, in which case legality is irrelevant.
And if you ban high-sec ships going to null-sec armed with nukes, then only null-sec residents will have nukes, tipping the chances of encounters towards the nullsec'ers' favour.
I'm sorry but your use of "sec" variations is not clear to me. I have not heard those terms used before especially in a Gurps-y and/or Spaceships context and am uncertain or what you mean.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:24 AM   #8
Rupert

It's EVE-Online speak. 'High-Sec' = High Security Space, a place where rule of law is strong. 'Low-Sec' are places where the rule of law is not so strong, but major governments still claim control. In EVE the game engine won't allow the use of certain ships and weapons in these types of space.

'Null-Sec' is where no government controls what you fly and how you arm it (in EVE player corporations can be the government, but any laws they want to apply about what players may fly can only be enforced by players - the game engine won't do it).

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote